Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston VS Orlando
Houston, TX 56 64.37%
Orlando, FL 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2023, 02:49 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
What are those set of amenities that Orlando has that blows Houston out the water besides theme parks? When I brought up amenities I was excluding theme parks because I thought that was a given. I'm talking restaurants, lounges, clubs, parks, shopping, cultural institutions, sporting events, etc.) Of course residents always have the option to visit the best theme parks in America but how often do families do that in Orlando? I would assume that could get pricey visiting several days in a month.

But outside of the theme parks I'm not familiar with what amenities Orlando has that will blow Houston out the water.
Just to name a few:
  • Lake Eola / Thornton Park
  • Leu Gardens
  • Orange County Regional History Center
  • Orlando Museum of Art
  • Orlando Science Center
  • Park Avenue / Winter Park Historic District
  • Morse Museum
  • Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts (Broadway, orchestras, etc.)
  • Amway Center (NBA Orlando Magic games, concerts, etc.)
  • MLS: Orlando City
  • Wekiwa Springs State Park
  • Kennedy Space Center
  • Central Florida Zoo & Botanical Gardens
  • Big Tree Park
  • Blue Springs State Park
  • Canaveral National Seashore (National Park)
  • USTA National Campus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2023, 03:03 PM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
Just to name a few:
  • Leu Gardens
  • Orlando Museum of Art
  • Orlando Science Center
  • Morse Museum
  • Kennedy Space Center
  • Big Tree Park
  • USTA National Campus
Ok, but the issue is that you don't seem to know anything about Houston but you claimed to live there.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:07 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I’ll let others explain the Houston medical industry but allow me to add my 2 cents in regard of the art scene & performance art in Houston as I literally moved my family to Houston partially because of the art institutes/amenities here, from, ironically, Florida.

Houston has one of the best and booming art scenes in the U.S. First, art patronage comes from money/wealth. Houston has/had massive oil money from the wealthy European philanthropists/art collectors such as John and Dominique de Menil (she of the heiress of the Schlumberger oil fortune.) who amassed thousands of painting/sculpture/prints/books ranging from modernists to pop art to cubists. Their collections eventually became the de Menils art museum. The de Menils promoted and advocated for the human rights and modern art as well as donating their private collections to Museum of Fine Arts in Houston.-their legacy and collections are still one of the best and the most complete in the country.

Not to mention the de Menils also founded Rothko Chapel. A non-denominational chapel entirely dedicated to Mark Rothko’s art work, which to me (I was raised in art as my grandfather was an art collector and an art dealer.) is probably the most unique art museum in the U.S. I’m a big, big fan of Rothko, I’ve been trying to collect Rothko art pieces, so moving to Houston was such a non-brainer and a visual feast to me.

And there you have Rienzi, the European decorative art museum, is full of opulence and dramatic setting.
While I agree that the aspects of Houston's legacy art scene you mentioned are up there, I do find its visual arts community to be somewhat underwhelming considering it is the fourth largest city. I've seen smaller cities with bigger and more vibrant art districts and First Friday Open House type events.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:14 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
Quote:
Just to name a few:
  • Leu Gardens
  • Orlando Museum of Art
  • Orlando Science Center
  • Morse Museum
  • Kennedy Space Center
  • Big Tree Park
  • USTA National Campus
Are you trolling? Somehow managed to make a list worse than the other one you posted.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:26 PM

12,173 posts, read 8,046,859 times
Quote:
Just to name a few:
  • Leu Gardens
  • Orlando Museum of Art
  • Orlando Science Center
  • Morse Museum
  • Kennedy Space Center
  • Big Tree Park
  • USTA National Campus
Some of those are okay. But those are really the bare minimums for a city.

Also i see all the replies to me and il get to em later

Old 01-04-2023, 03:34 PM

1,056 posts, read 578,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
While I agree that the aspects of Houston's legacy art scene you mentioned are up there, I do find its visual arts community to be somewhat underwhelming considering it is the fourth largest city. I've seen smaller cities with bigger and more vibrant art districts and First Friday Open House type events.
Tell me more.

I’m still fairly new here, and my interest and obsession are more on the fine art/antique/European art/architecture side, can you elaborate more on the visual arts community part?

Take Miami’s Art Basel for example, people rave about it and always quote it as the example that Miami is such an alive art city, when I see Art Basel more or less the Coachella of Art where it’s mostly art galleries promoting their art pieces (which are less than the museum pieces in quality.) and holding parties/promotions.-nothing is wrong with that but it’s not my kind of scene. (I admitted I could be an art snob.)

Did you mean by Sawyer Yard and such?

I’ve been living here for just a bit over a year and I barely scraped the surface with all the museums/galleries I’d like to go. I just discovered there’s a Cy Twombly Gallery in Houston, which I didn’t know at all before I moved here.-it made me so excited as I’m only, barely, not even through 1/3 of the MFAH. These along with the de Menils & Rothko Chapel (my friend in D.C who’s a fine art photographer and a curator is re-discovering Houston art scene through me as she too is a major Rothko fan.) already are excellent for me. This and the endless restaurants, we ARE very busy and happy in Houston.

(Ps. Still owe you a list of Taiwanese restaurants in Houston. Sorry I’ve been out of it from traveling and having a flu. I’ll get to it shortly.)

Old 01-04-2023, 05:51 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Ok, but the issue is that you don't seem to know anything about Houston but you claimed to live there.
I do know Houston, I lived there for many years and I never claimed at any point in time that Houston does not have some of these same offerings, I was simply responding to the previous claims that Orlando does not have these offerings, and IMHO, I believe Orlando overall is a more desirable city..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Are you trolling? Somehow managed to make a list worse than the other one you posted.
How am I trolling? If you look at the post that I was responding to, I was simply responding to the pp claims that Orlando supposedly has no arts/culture/entertainment beyond theme parks which is totally false.. What I listed barely scratches the surface but shows that Orlando does in fact have more to offer beyond theme parks and tourist attractions..

Old 01-04-2023, 06:39 PM

Quote:

How am I trolling? If you look at the post that I was responding to, I was simply responding to the pp claims that Orlando supposedly has no arts/culture/entertainment beyond theme parks which is totally false.. What I listed barely scratches the surface but shows that Orlando does in fact have more to offer beyond theme parks and tourist attractions..
The post you responded to asked what besides theme parks blows Houston out of the water. The confusion came because based on the post you responded to, the list was made as if these are uniquely Orlando between the two. Outside of maybe 2 bullets, all of these amenities exist in both (MLS and NBA teams for example).

Yes, I agree that Orlando has plenty of non theme park amenities that often get overlooked.

Old 01-04-2023, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
(Ps. Still owe you a list of Taiwanese restaurants in Houston. Sorry I’ve been out of it from traveling and having a flu. I’ll get to it shortly.)
Please share with me as well. I don’t deny Houston’s Taiwanese offerings as mkwensky has, but I am always open to learning about places I’ve never tried.

Old 01-04-2023, 08:47 PM

2,858 posts, read 2,179,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Please share with me as well. I don’t deny Houston’s Taiwanese offerings as mkwensky has, but I am always open to learning about places I’ve never tried.
For the record my definition of 'Taiwanese' is not owned and operated by Taiwanese, but serving their regional specialties like oyster pancakes, fermented tofu, sticky rice tamale or gelatinous meat bun. San Dong is only half counts because only their Beef Noodle Soup can be considered Taiwanese. Dumplings and noodles are very common in Chinese restaurants as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City