Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston VS Orlando
Houston, TX 56 64.37%
Orlando, FL 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2023, 08:38 AM

833 posts, read 454,358 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
I was wrong about the passenger count by airport. Everything else I said was completely correct. IAH has more destinations and is a far more global airport. You can fly nonstop to Asia, Australia and New Zealand, as well as Europe and the Middle East from IAH. You can't do the two former from Orlando. IAH is a much more global airport than MCO.

Are you SERIOUSLY going to hold up MD Anderson's Orlando campus as something it holds over Houston????? MD Anderson IS from Houston. The original is here. Houston is THE premier city for cancer research in the US. Houston has the Texas Medical Center. It is THE largest medical complex in the US. It has the medical schools for Baylor, the University of Texas, and Texas A&M. It employs 106,000 people and draws people from all over the World. It is home to THE MD Anderson, which is THE best hospital for cancer treatment in the US:

https://health.usnews.com/best-hospi...ankings/cancer

All of those medical facilities you mention, all are just generic hospitals that you find in any city or they are field locations. I completely standby my statement that comparing what Houston offers in the medical field vs. Orlando is like comparing a steak restaurant to a Burger King.
I thought this was funny too. Don’t know how he can say Orlando has an advantage in healthcare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2023, 08:46 AM

12,840 posts, read 9,567,574 times
A link just messed up this pages aesthetics

Old 01-07-2023, 09:12 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If I had to guess, either someones image of Orlando is inaccurate or emotions are getting in the way of reality (living vs visiting).
Either that or some inferiority complex.
Houston is the only place I have seen with reverse boosters. They going to try to discredit everything the city is ahead in.
Dude bending over backwards to highlight his city in a negative and untrue fashion.

I can understand if it was compared to Philly or even Miami, but to go so hard to try to say Orlando of all places has more walkable places? Has so be done inferiority complex.

Old 01-07-2023, 10:50 AM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
I have to admit that my time in Orlando is limited to the tourist areas and theme parks, but looking at Walkscore, it does not seem very walkable to me. The total population at 80+ Walkscore is about 10k. Houston is also middling in this metric, but still, Midtown Houston alone basically has the same population as all of Orlando's walkable areas combined.

Old 01-07-2023, 11:02 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,810,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
I have to admit that my time in Orlando is limited to the tourist areas and theme parks, but looking at Walkscore, it does not seem very walkable to me. The total population at 80+ Walkscore is about 10k. Houston is also middling in this metric, but still, Midtown Houston alone basically has the same population as all of Orlando's walkable areas combined.
The guy went to S Enola and thought he was in pedestrian heaven. That happens when you live in the burbs and go on vacation. You don't realize that each and every city from small to enormous have these little pockets.

Old 01-07-2023, 01:07 PM

1,729 posts, read 1,026,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kluch View Post
For a young family of 4 which city would be your pick considering COL, family friendly activities, overall amenities and geographical location?
This thread has gone off the rails into a Houston vs. Orlando thread which is an unfair comparison. It's like pitting Houston against NYC. The original post is above and very specific about a young family with 2 kids. The OP hasn't even engaged since his original 2 posts!

Old 01-07-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Either that or some inferiority complex.
Houston is the only place I have seen with reverse boosters. They going to try to discredit everything the city is ahead in.
Dude bending over backwards to highlight his city in a negative and untrue fashion.

I can understand if it was compared to Philly or even Miami, but to go so hard to try to say Orlando of all places has more walkable places? Has so be done inferiority complex.
Many of us have been on C-D long enough to know the motives of certain posters. Some wish they lived in other cities (not sure what is taking so long to move!). Others try hard not to appear to favor Houston just because they live here. It's fairly transparent!

Old 01-07-2023, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I would like to add one more:

In terms of culture and performance art, Houston really wins over Orlando.

I’m an absolute ballet/classic music admirer, have been listening to and attending to the performances for years. Overall ranking for the U.S alone for opera, Houston is usually top 5-10, ballet is top 3-5 (only after ABT and NY City Ballet, and Alvin Ailey.) and orchestra/symphony is top 15.

Orlando was never in any of the national ranking. Not anywhere near top 20.
I love how you have embraced the city since you've moved here! As I mentioned in a prior post. It's not really fair to compare Orlando to Houston. Having said that, I think you are selling Houston's performing arts scene a bit short! I would say Houston Grand Opera and Ballet are top 5 in the U.S. and Symphony top 10! LOL

I also love the arts, but have not delved at all into ballet.

I have to admit I'm not sure the average concert-goer can distinguish the difference between a so-called World Class Symphony or Concert Hall. How many audiophiles attend concerts? For me it's all about the experience and one's connection to the performance. I find it easier to distinguish the virtuosity of an individual opera performance than I do between symphony orchestras. Perhaps my listening skills have still not developed fully!

Old 01-07-2023, 02:32 PM

1,049 posts, read 571,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
I think you are selling Houston's performing arts scene a bit short! I would say Houston Grand Opera and Ballet are top 5 in the U.S. and Symphony top 10! LOL

Oh sorry, I really tried to “estimate” the ranking on the conservative side so it doesn’t come off as “homers”. Very glad with your comment.-even better!

I do have such an affinity for Houston, the city has been exceeding my expectations, pleasantly.

For OP, without knowing much I’d probably recommend Orlando with two young kids. Orlando is a fast-growing fine city with many family friendly activities to do. And they do have many, many beautiful beaches to choose from.

Old 01-07-2023, 04:39 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,623,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
That’s false. Orlando is as if not more Highway centric than Houston. Orlando’s main focal points are all atleast 8 miles away from downtown Orlando on the interstate. A couple of small neighborhoods in central Orlando don’t make up the difference. It’s not just the theme parks. You have world class resorts in Orlando sitting in a street of fast food joints and gas stations. This is why CityWalk is a great place (free to get in) for visitors and residents alike. But where does it sit in position to central Orlando? Houston sprawls further out sure, it is the bigger of the two sprawling cities. But Orlando’s focal points are less centered than in Houston

If I had to guess, either someones image of Orlando is inaccurate or emotions are getting in the way of reality (living vs visiting).
Focal points? What Tourist attractions?

Look Houston has 19 highways presently, you have to take 45 or 59 coming from IAH to get to Downtown if you chose to stay there. You also have to take 45 from Hobby to get to your destination in Houston's core.

Houston MSA covers 8,268.8 square miles. Orlando MSA covers 3,491.6. Houston is much bigger. How do you suspect people to get around? They get on the highways everyday. Houston also has several different business districts all throughout the metro. There's TMC/ Energy Corridor/ The Woodlands/ Downtown/ Galleria-Uptown, Greenway Plaza, people generally use the highways to get to these business districts don't they? Now if we have more highway mileage, more highways that cut thru the core of Houston and a much bigger population living outside the already bottleneck urban core of the metro what does that tell you?

Orlando as a whole is car centric. Houston as a whole is car centric. I already stated, I made a mistake when I said Orlando has more walkable neighborhoods than Houston. That's not what I meant. I meant Orlando's most walkable neighborhoods are more walkable than Houston's most walkable neighborhoods. Even if it's a block or 2(more than that btw) it's more impressive and literally more walkable than anything Houston has to offer outside of Downtown Houston. When I visit a city and book an airbnb, I like to book it in walkable vibrant areas where I don't have to use my car. I could actually do that in those neighborhoods adjacent to Orlando's CBD. Doesn't have that same cohesion even in the loop.

As far as CityWalk, I wouldn't even count that because that's apart of Universal. But you have master planned communities, suburbs, neighborhoods like Celebration/ Winter Park/ Avalon Park and Baldwin Park that offer a legit mixed lifestyle walkable center that's hard to find in Houston MSA outside of The Woodlands.

I'm sorry but I'm not going to big up everything about Houston just because I live here. I'm not bigging up Orlando either. I know exactly what it is. But the little it has IMO is more impressive than what Houston has to offer as far as walkable vibrant neighborhoods. It seems Houstonians are the emotional ones because I'm praising little Orlando over big city Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City