Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Houston VS Orlando
Houston, TX 56 64.37%
Orlando, FL 31 35.63%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2023, 08:10 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,819,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Yea..that will tend to happen in subtropical, humid climates.

Which is what Houston is located in...so it makes sense.
His biases made the point flew over his head completely.
The point isn't that Houston doesn't have bugs, it's that it has an abundance of bugs like a large variety of butterflies, dragonflies, etc.

My statement that in some cities you will only see roaches and flies doesn't mean Houston only has those, the key word is ONLY.

Houston is in the middle of a migratory route for birds and has a huge variety of butterflies. But he reads comments and only come back with cheap shots

Quote:
Texas has more butterfly species and subspecies than any other state, over 400, partly due to its varied ecological regions.
https://www.butterfliesathome.com/bu...s-in-texas.htm

Quote:
Of the 338 species that are listed as Nearctic-Neotropical migrants in North America (north of Mexico), 333 of them (or 98.5%) have been recorded in Texas.
https://tpwd.texas.gov/huntwild/wild/birding/migration/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Dragon View Post
Houston wins in jobs, Quality of life, Cost of living, food, and diversity.
Orlando has more tourist attractions and amenities.
Traffic is slow in both cities, though still better than Atlanta.

Take note that if you don't like hurricanes, neither city is good on that front (still better than my home of metro New Orleans, though)
I wouldn't say more tourist attractions, it's more like bigger tourist attractions. Orlando metro has the theme parks, which is the biggest attraction among the two cities. Apart from that is just a matter of counting dozens of much smaller attractions. I can't say which has more, but bigger cities usually have more. So it is safer to say that Orlando has a bigger tourist attraction, and that's theme parks.

Last edited by atadytic19; 01-13-2023 at 08:24 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2023, 10:14 AM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
I wouldn't say more tourist attractions, it's more like bigger tourist attractions. Orlando metro has the theme parks, which is the biggest attraction among the two cities. Apart from that is just a matter of counting dozens of much smaller attractions. I can't say which has more, but bigger cities usually have more. So it is safer to say that Orlando has a bigger tourist attraction, and that's theme parks.
This is a laughable suggestion. Orlando is one of the most visited cities in the world (far ahead of Houston) and is renowned globally for its world-class tourism destinations and entertainment offerings, not just by quality/popularity but also by quantity and scale.. Orlando's 7+ major theme parks are each the size of a small city with hundreds of secondary and auxiliary attractions around those theme parks (CityWalk, Disney Springs, themed resorts, water parks, golf courses, theater shows, dinner shows, interactive exhibits, themed restaurants, etc.).. Houston has nothing that comes even remotely close this, to suggest that Houston can even try compete in this category simply because its a "bigger city" is laughable at best..

Last edited by MrKnight; 01-13-2023 at 10:39 AM..

Old 01-13-2023, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
This is a laughable suggestion. Orlando is one of the most visited cities in the world (far ahead of Houston) and is renowned globally for its world-class tourism destinations and entertainment offerings, not just by quality/popularity but also by quantity and scale.. Orlando's 7+ major theme parks are each the size of a small city with hundreds of secondary and auxiliary attractions around those theme parks (CityWalk, Disney Springs, themed resorts, water parks, golf courses, theater shows, dinner shows, interactive exhibits, themed restaurants, etc.).. Houston has nothing that comes even remotely close this, to suggest that Houston can even try compete in this category simply because its a "bigger city" is laughable at best..
That only speaks to the size of the attractions, not the number. 7 theme parks large or small are so theme parks. One category. It doesn't speak of any variety. So for someone who isn't into theme parks it is just one category off the list. So again Orlando may have bigger attractions but not necessarily MORE attractions

For example if the world was limited to two attractions, theme parks and beaches Tampa would have more attractions than Orlando because they would have both.

Its rather odd to list your attractions as we have this theme park and that theme park and that theme park and this theme park and that theme park. All one attraction. However, no one disagrees that when it comes to theme parks they are huge. But if you are not really into theme parks there must be other attractions to draw you to that city.

Its kinda sad that Orlando is probably the 1 city that almost every visitor to the metro never sets foot in the city itself.

Last edited by atadytic19; 01-13-2023 at 11:58 AM..

Old 01-13-2023, 12:07 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,434,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
That only speaks to the size of the attractions, not the number. 7 theme parks large or small are so theme parks. One category. It doesn't speak of any variety. So for someone who isn't into theme parks it is just one category off the list. So again Orlando may have bigger attractions but not necessarily MORE attractions

For example if the world was limited to two attractions, theme parks and beaches Tampa would have more attractions than Orlando because they would have both.

Its rather odd to list your attractions as we have this theme park and that theme park and that theme park and this theme park and that theme park. All one attraction. However, no one disagrees that when it comes to theme parks they are huge. But if you are not really into theme parks there must be other attractions to draw you to that city.

Its kinda sad that Orlando is probably the 1 city that almost every visitor to the metro never sets foot in the city itself.
You must have missed this part of my response:

"with hundreds of secondary and auxiliary attractions around those theme parks (CityWalk, Disney Springs, themed resorts, water parks, golf courses, theater shows, dinner shows, interactive exhibits, themed restaurants, etc.).."

There are in fact MORE attractions (in addition to theme parks) in Orlando than in Houston..

Old 01-13-2023, 12:32 PM

860 posts, read 683,181 times
Not even close...

Old 01-13-2023, 01:35 PM

9,915 posts, read 6,628,378 times
It’s not rocket science

Orlando more tourist attractions.

Houston more attractions for locals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrKnight View Post
You must have missed this part of my response:

"with hundreds of secondary and auxiliary attractions around those theme parks (CityWalk, Disney Springs, themed resorts, water parks, golf courses, theater shows, dinner shows, interactive exhibits, themed restaurants, etc.).."

There are in fact MORE attractions (in addition to theme parks) in Orlando than in Houston..
If you’re arguing Orlando has more attractions as a whole, this is as false as the medical comparison from pages ago. Orlando doesn’t get the amount of concerts, museums, shopping, dining, etc that you get in Houston.

If you’re speaking about attractions people from elsewhere travel TO Orlando for (even disregarding theme parks), I agree. EDC Orlando, CityWalk, etc etc.

With this said, I absolutely don’t agree with those saying that Orlando’s tourist attractions don’t appeal to locals. Again, some of these areas are even free to visit for outsiders. I could understand Magic Kingdom or something.

Old 01-13-2023, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
With this said, I absolutely don’t agree with those saying that Orlando’s tourist attractions don’t appeal to locals.
Who said that?

Old 01-13-2023, 03:44 PM

4,209 posts, read 4,751,526 times
Personally, I'm in it with Redlion, I have a lot of faith that Houston will get better but right now I'd rather live in central Orlando than any neighborhood in Houston. Would I choose Houston for other reasons? Sure, but not walkability or urban design.

Old 01-13-2023, 11:15 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
1) You literally have pointed out time and time again the cohesion issues Houston has but suddenly when the same is done with Orlando you're all upset. You have literally pointed out that Orlando's core neighborhoods would essentially fit within downtown Houston (both population and area). The issue with this is that Downtown Houston is much more cohesive in its urban development than Orlando's core and it singlehandedly beats the ENTIRE core of Orlando. Then there is all of the other neighborhoods and their walkable areas as well in Houston. Orlando has no answer to the rest of Houston's neighborhoods.
Lol, I'm not upset but okay whatever floats your boat. But anyway, I never said Orlando's core neighborhoods would fit within downtown Houston. I actually tried avoid talking about both cities downtowns because both are consistently cohesive relative to their sizes. Why would anybody expect a downtown not to be walkable? Even small towns central business districts will generally be the most walkable areas. I would say both cities downtowns start to lose walkability the further away from their cbds. The difference between Orlando and Houston is they have more walkable neighborhoods closer to their CBD than Houston does and that's what I'm choosing to focus on. SO AGAIN BOTH ARE CONSISTENTLY WALKABLE RELATIVE TO THEIR SIZE. Of course downtown Houston is bigger. It's a much bigger city.

Quote:
2) I have already put up multiple links of Houston displaying this but since you want more here you go.

Mixed-use

https://goo.gl/maps/2TkyxfrcBwA1Ejxz6

https://goo.gl/maps/czsCaj7LH4WE7Zis7

https://goo.gl/maps/f4iNrHh5wRFVxZ7B7 - don't know how you can try and discredit Rice Village as "not an actual neighborhood" when you keep boosting Thorton Park, a neighborhood/area with a similar land area and population.
The first link is Montrose Collective, a mixed used development surrounded by small strip centers and parking lots on Westheimer. Basically proving my point once again. Walk down further and you'll see this right across the street from Montrose Collective.

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7446...7i16384!8i8192

Pockets and patches of "walkability" mostly confined to Montrose Collective but not the neighborhood.

The 2nd link is an impressive stretch of Midtown leading into Montrose but that's an even smaller area of walkability than what you slammed S. Eola for. It's also surrounded by businesses with parking lots. You have High Fashion right across the street from The Mix and than a block over at the Beer Market Co. there's also a parking lot available. Dude I've been to these places several times.

As far as Rice Village, it's considered a shopping district not an actual neighborhood. I didn't make that up, Rice Village did but let's entertain Rice Village being an actual legitimate neighborhood. The problem with this is that Rice Village has too many shops with parking lots in front of them. If I'm walking in Rice Village and have to stop for cars to back up or drive out of the parking lot onto the street than how is that a pedestrian friendly infrastructure?

Is this what you call pedestrian friendly infrastructure?
https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7166...7i16384!8i8192

Quote:
Literally no one hyped it up. All we said was that the area comprised of Post Midtown Square and Camden City Centre were about the size of South Eola. Those 10 or so blocks are literally the size of South Eola. The only reason we brought it up was to show that South Eola to Midtown was an apples to oranges comparison. We have been consistent with this from the start. I mean South Eola better be more consistent in its development than all of Midtown, its literally a 3x3 block neighborhood whereas Midtown is substantially larger. We used the example to prove there are several South Eola sized pockets in Houston's neighborhoods.
You drop S. Eola in Midtown and it'll be the most walkable area in Houston outside the CBD. So no there are no Eola sized pockets in Midtown or any other neighborhood in Houston. Those walkable blocks in Houston are even smaller than S. Eola. You'll immediately get interrupted by parking lots or a lack of sidewalks. Guess that's why you focused so much on residential areas with no businesses, bars, lounges, etc. mixed in with residential.

Quote:
6) Nice try bud. I live in Lincoln Park. I'm pretty sure I know how Chicago does its urban spaces. Definitely more than some troll who lives outside the beltway in a totally different city.
I'm starting to question if you really live in Lincoln Park if you think Rice Village is a pedestrian friendly infrastructure with it's parking lots and all. Do you know what pedestrian friendly means? Serious question.

Quote:
8) Its laughable seeing you label Houston as car-centric sprawl when you're comparing it to ORLANDO of all places. Orlando is every bit as car centric if not even more. Houston still has a larger percentage of people who use public transit in relation to Orlando and while METRO is definitely subpar, it is still leagues above LYNX. Saying the 149k people living in walk scores above 70 in Houston are living in "car-centric sprawl" but assuming all the 19k people living in walk scores above 70 in Orlando are not is just another issue. The link on point 9 will clearly show there are sprawly areas in Orlando's core that also meet the 70 Walk Score threshold.
I've said both cities are car-centric sprawling areas. I simply said Orlando's most walkable areas are more pedestrian friendly than Houston's most walkable areas. You got upset about it and tried moving the goal post further and further. Yes Houston has a larger percentage of people who use public transit. Nobody is arguing against that. And yes METRO is leagues above LYNX. And Orlando's walkable areas are more impressive than Houston's most walkable areas. What's the issue here again? LOL

Quote:
9) Yes Walk Score has it flaws but for you to assume those flaws are only beneficial to Houston is just a faulty assumption. I can do the same in reverse too. You're the one who brought Walk Score into here.

This area right by the CBD in Orlando

https://goo.gl/maps/tozA2i2X4gCqWiyN6 (73 Walk Score)

is deemed more walkable than this area in the Woodlands

https://goo.gl/maps/GtDg9znjvG4SWo3S8 (56 Walk Score)
I was literally just at that Whole Foods in The Woodlands a couple of days ago. Funny you post up Hughes Landing because I was driving around the area I said to myself, "man Houston can learn a couple of things from The Woodlands LOL". When I use to live in The Woodlands I would jog or ride my bike to the waterway every week and enjoy a live, work, play environment with a little consistency. Now the con with an area like The Woodlands is the fact that those walkable areas are pretty much simulated cookie cutter faux urbanism. But it is more pedestrian friendly than the area you posted in Orlando. Yet Orlando's most walkable areas are still more pedestrian friendly than any block in any neighborhood in Houston.

Quote:
Bottom line, Houston has a larger expanse of area that can be deemed walkable, a larger population living in walkable areas, and a better transit system connecting these areas. This is undeniable. Downtown Houston alone beats the whole core of Orlando when it comes to shear expanse of urban development and population living in urban developments. Then theres every other node in Houston to which Orlando has no answer for. Carving out a bunch of small neighborhoods and saying "hey we have more and its more consistent within the neighborhood" is not going to work, Spending 2 days in a 3x3 block of walkability after living in the suburbs in Houston is not going to change the facts.
But it's going to work with people who favor some form of pedestrian friendly infrastructure. Small blocks surrounded by parking lots in "walkable" areas in Houston is not cutting. I'll take those 3x3 blocks of walkability over the isolated Islands of walkability in a sea full of suburbia-urban-ish environment.

Old 01-13-2023, 11:24 PM

4,388 posts, read 4,632,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Ok red lion is not a troll. In fact he’s generally a pretty ardent Houston defender who ironically can’t stand Austin
LOL, I can't win for losing. I literally chose Houston over Orlando and eventually think Houston has more to offer in more categories than Orlando has. But I try to be as objective and non-biased as possible. Houston's lack of walkability even in it's most "walkable" areas imo is one of it's biggest downfalls. And I'm not about to lie for Houston just because it's going against Orlando. And I'm not even defending Orlando like some Houston posters believe I am. Orlando is pretty terrible when it comes to walkability just like Houston. But you know. Also I don't have any issues with Austin besides the fact it lacks a Black presence and I think it's a bit overhyped but that's mostly tied to my culture. If Austin had more "color" I would definitely be living in Austin right now over any other city in Texas. And for the record aside from the ethnic perspective, I like how Austin functions as a city more so than any other city in Texas. It has a more impressive walkable neighborhoods than Houston as well. I appreciate that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Personally, I'm in it with Redlion, I have a lot of faith that Houston will get better but right now I'd rather live in central Orlando than any neighborhood in Houston. Would I choose Houston for other reasons? Sure, but not walkability or urban design.
Thank you! I live in Houston but because I moved to the suburbs so my children can go to a good school and a safer environment all of a sudden I don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to the loop. LOL OKAY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City