Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these, if any, are global?
Phoenix 7 4.76%
Detroit 55 37.41%
Seattle 124 84.35%
Minneapolis 28 19.05%
San Diego 20 13.61%
Tampa 6 4.08%
Denver 11 7.48%
Baltimore 10 6.80%
St. Louis 8 5.44%
Charlotte 7 4.76%
San Antonio 6 4.08%
Portland 6 4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2023, 09:47 AM

4,222 posts, read 3,741,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I love Phoenix, right now. But, it faces a very uncertain future, with the lack of water issue. Some try to sweep this under the rug, and seem like it's irrelevant, but it's HUGE, in no uncertain terms. No city with such an uncertain future will retain a global position. If someone here has the answer to their water problems (an actual answer, that they're moving forward with), please share. Otherwise, talk is cheap and a viable solution has not yet been found.
Good news, those of us with a vested interest in Phoenix and the founders of the region have thought about this for centuries. People should think about water like your personal financial budget, you have x amount to use, how is it being used now and what other options may you want to invest that finite asset? Due to it's farming history Arizona still uses the majority of it's water on agriculture. If supply decreases however, urban development investments with water are far more valuable than agriculture is today. Where will the country get it's winter vegetable supply and how much will those prices increase, is probably a more applicable question here?

There is a lot of talk about water in Phoenix from people who seem to know very little about it. A few starter questions are.

1. What do you think Phoenix's water problems are? One source, which supply's about 1/3rd of the states water, is over-allocated.
2. What do you think Arizona uses most of it's water supply on? Agriculture uses nearly 3/4 of Arizona's water.
3. How do you think population growth has changed water use in Arizona? Water use has actually gone down as the state has grown.

What is being done?
- Reduce: The federal government has mandated reductions in water deliveries from the Colorado River and will continue doing so until the lakes stabilize.
- Reuse: Phoenix has the ability to reuse most water that enters it's wastewater system, this has not been utilized at all.
- Augment: Nevada, California, Arizona, Colorado and Utah are working cooperatively with federal funding resources to augment water supply.
- New Sources: Arizona has budgeted $1 Billion for desalinization in the Sea of Cortez; near Rocky Point (about 170 miles from Phoenix).

Arizona Water Facts:
• Arizona is currently below 1957 water usage levels due to increased conservation methods and the decrease in water used for agriculture.
• Arizona has five times (5x) more water stored than we use and has never mandated municipal or residential restrictions on uses throughout our state’s history.
• 93% of the water that enters the Greater Phoenix waste stream can be reclaimed and treated for potable use and this is a huge differentiator for us.
• Arizona is a national leader when it comes to the reuse of water. California sends more water back to the Pacific Ocean each year than the City of Phoenix uses in total.
• Only 36% of the Arizona water supply is provided by the Colorado River; Nevada is nearly fully reliant, its California’s predominant water supply at 60% and makes up 30-40% of Colorado’s.

And Visuals:

Last edited by locolife; 01-02-2023 at 10:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 10:02 AM

372 posts, read 204,701 times
There are conflicting articles about the problem. Maybe you could read some that speak about people already out of water, and dire predictions, and then believe what you want. I haven't read anything that I believe, that states there is not a problem.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:02 AM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
It looks like they do. The Austin area landed a large Samsung chip plant which they seem very excited to have won. So I guess it's not a top city either? These aren't my top city rankings, Milken puts the Phoenix area at #4 for top performing US cities in 2022.

They don't go to expensive cities.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
There are conflicting articles about the problem. Maybe you could read some that speak about people already out of water, and dire predictions, and then believe what you want. I haven't read anything that I believe, that states there is not a problem.

Are there conflicting facts about the supply and use of water in Arizona? Seems pretty black and white there.

Old 01-02-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
They don't go to expensive cities.

I wasn't claiming Phoenix is an expensive city, although it's certainly not super cheap anymore. We were talking about global cities and specifically comparing the list provided on this thread.

Old 01-02-2023, 12:08 PM

8,877 posts, read 6,893,618 times
In terms of global cities, I'd focus more on headquarters and R&D centers and less on where they put the factories and back offices.

Old 01-04-2023, 01:21 AM

2,991 posts, read 3,427,565 times
Quote:
I expanded these lists. Seattle wins all of them except SD has an edge in foreign-born percentage.

International airport passengers, 2019, main airport:
--Seattle: 5,727,899
--Detroit: 3,254,770
--Minneapolis: 3,230,699
--Denver: 3,175,999
--San Diego: 1,053,772 (plus 2,897,900 in cross-border terminal)
--Phoenix: 2,112,167

New lawful permanent residents, 2021, metro areas:
--Seattle: 18,185
--Detroit: 9,209
--Minneapolis: 7,403
--Denver: 6,708
--San Diego: 11,306
--Phoenix: 10,684

Foreign born percentage, 2021 ACS, metro areas:
--Seattle: 20% (802,257)
--Detroit: 10% (435,411)
--Minneapolis: 11% (399,809)
--Denver: 12% (366,701)
--San Diego: 22% (737,696)
--Phoenix: 13% (664,841)
Yeah, no contest. Crazy thing is Seattle does this despite super high cost of living compared to Detroit or Minneapolis.

Old 01-04-2023, 03:21 AM

24,560 posts, read 18,299,405 times
Quote:
In terms of global cities, I'd focus more on headquarters and R&D centers and less on where they put the factories and back offices.
Even headquarters often isn’t useful because it’s so often done for tax purposes.

Global cities create intellectual property. It doesn’t necessarily have to be corporate R&D.

Old 01-04-2023, 05:24 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Saying Minneapolis is global because of George floyd is like saying Waco is global because of David Koresh. Even if it’s true, is that the notoriety you want?

Someone uptgread said Dallas, Atlanta and houston might be global. I disagree they already are

Regarding Austin and Samsung, yes austin is expensive but I’d bet Samsung received plenty of incentives to build there

Old 01-04-2023, 08:07 AM
Status: "Worship the Earth, Worship Love, not Imaginary Gods" (set 1 day ago)

8,361 posts, read 5,525,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guineas View Post
Yeah, no contest. Crazy thing is Seattle does this despite super high cost of living compared to Detroit or Minneapolis.
Seattle is the most global city on the list. I don't think there is any question about that.

But I think Detroit makes a case for being global because its the global center of the automobile industry. Its one of the worlds most important industries and the world looks to Detroit (and Germany/Japan) for innovations in that field. Working in the airline industry, its the literal only city in North America that makes a nonstop flight to Nagoya, Japan work because of auto ties. Not even San Francisco, LA, or Vancouver can make a flight to there work. Pre-pandemic it produced the same amount of O&D to Japan than Boston was doing, the same amount to Korea that Seattle has, and about the same amount of O&D to China as Houston.

I honestly don't find Minneapolis/St. Paul global. I like the metro area a lot, but its international community is largely refugee based and its economy is mostly focused on American companies.

Phoenix could get there in the future with how fast its growing. I don't think its there yet.

I look at them like this:

Definitively Global:
NYC
LA
Chicago
DC
SF
Miami
Boston
Houston

Newly Global
Dallas
Atlanta
Seattle
San Jose

Global in Aspects
Philadelphia
Detroit
Las Vegas
Orlando
San Diego

Maybe in the Future
Phoenix (probably the next city to jump categories)
Austin (hits way above its weight, but still has a bit to go IMO)
Charlotte
Denver
Tampa
Minneapolis/St. Paul
Baltimore

I know I'm going to get pushback for where I placed Philly. The main issue is that Philly just underperforms on several global metrics I look at (immigrant population, international O&D, economic connectivity, etc.). Its a great city, but I don't know if I think its particularly global per se.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City