Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these, if any, are global?
Phoenix 7 4.76%
Detroit 55 37.41%
Seattle 124 84.35%
Minneapolis 28 19.05%
San Diego 20 13.61%
Tampa 6 4.08%
Denver 11 7.48%
Baltimore 10 6.80%
St. Louis 8 5.44%
Charlotte 7 4.76%
San Antonio 6 4.08%
Portland 6 4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 11:35 AM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
A bit of both. Had the riots have not occurred, I doubt a chain reaction which caused global attention would have occured. But yes, GF did put Minneapolis on the map.
Right but imo, the GF situation could've happened anywhere and the reaction would've been the same. It's not like "oh, wow Minneapolis!!" In fact, it may have blown up more if it happened in Chicago or NYC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 11:56 AM

376 posts, read 209,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Yeah you're living under a rock. GF is synonymous with Minneapolis. The riots in Minneapolis were the worst since the LA riots. Minneapolis was getting major coverage before any of the other riots even started.
Saying I live under a rock isn't changing the reality just like trying to pretend MN gain "global" recognition because of George Floyd. If Minneapolis is so well recognized because of that event then why is it not called the Minneapolis riots? Why would the LA riots be called that instead of mainly the Rodney King riots?
The fact is, like somebody else upthread highlighted that GF could have been killed in any place in America, even a small town in Tennessee. Like everyone else have mentioned to you, MN is only recognized localish (the south) for that. Coastal people in their bubbles didn't even think too much about it, until it hit their own backyards, so let alone globally?

Old 12-27-2022, 12:02 PM

12,805 posts, read 9,532,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Saying I live under a rock isn't changing the reality just like trying to pretend MN gain "global" recognition because of George Floyd. If Minneapolis is so well recognized because of that event then why is it not called the Minneapolis riots? Why would the LA riots be called that instead of mainly the Rodney King riots?
The fact is, like somebody else upthread highlighted that GF could have been killed in any place in America, even a small town in Tennessee. Like everyone else have mentioned to you, MN is only recognized localish (the south) for that. Coastal people in their bubbles didn't even think too much about it, until it hit their own backyards, so let alone globally?
And honestly, while true, that should have no bearing on how you live your life. Most people outside of CD don't really care.

When the riots were happening, did they mention any neighborhoods that would be recognizable visually or audibly? No. Very few cities are that well known globally. And it's not just a US phenomenon. Most people couldn't name the top ten cities in Spain or England.

So, while I personally love Minneapolis, I agree, on the coasts, it's very irrelevant. Denver has more notoriety, maybe even SLC.

Old 12-27-2022, 12:57 PM

8,856 posts, read 6,846,043 times
MSP is a nice city, but I agree that it flies under the radar. The George Floyd protests seems like a small blip in terms of MSP-specific notoriety.

Old 12-27-2022, 01:12 PM

783 posts, read 694,464 times
I would say none of these cities, but Seattle is the closest. I can see a disagreement here, but I would say Seattle is almost global.

Old 12-27-2022, 03:29 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Precisely. We all know where the okc bombing happened. Doesn’t make okc a global city.

Also had no idea Seattle can make so many emotional. In the real world, most people realize that amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks and Costco are from there. It’s the most global in this grouping
Seattle is boosted alot on this site. I didn't even know Costco was from there and I do disagree about Amazon and the rest of these companies, including Boeing. I can't imagine the average blue collar person knows that Microsoft is headquartered in Seattle, they'd probably assume New York or LA.

This forum is a very big echochamber for people like us, and we are a small minority.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:03 PM

26 posts, read 17,129 times
This thread should cross-reference the thread about the Kearney 2022 Global Cities Report. It evaluated and ranked 156 cities worldwide that had a reputation of being potentially global cities. There are several different studies looking at global cities, and lots of ways of defining them - but this Kearney report seems solid to me. Here are there top 10, to get an idea of the type of cities their rankings promote: New York, London, Paris, Tokyo, Beijing, Los Angeles, Chicago, Melbourne, Singapore and Hong Kong.

3 cities from this thread were included in the Kearney report: Seattle, Minneapolis and Phoenix. Every US city too large for this thread was in the Kearney study (ranging from NYC at #1 to Philly at #50), while no cities too small for the thread were included. For some reason Detroit was not included in the sample, which I think was a mistake.

The results are Seattle #44, Minneapolis #67 and Phoenix #87. Kearney also looks at growth/improvement for the Global Cities Outlook ranking: here Minneapolis shines with a ranking of #22. Seattle is at #52 and Phoenix at #79.

So, for the purpose of this thread, the answers are Seattle and Minneapolis as global cities, with Phoenix as runner-up.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:29 PM

40 posts, read 27,191 times
People here are being a bit delusional if they think Minneapolis wasn't elevated to worldwide recognition because of what started there. The civil unrest spread from to not only US cities, but cities throughout the world. I had colleagues in different parts of the world talking about the city for weeks. It's probably now the most well-known mid-size, US city.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:35 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyHighGuy View Post
People here are being a bit delusional if they think Minneapolis wasn't elevated to worldwide recognition because of what started there. The civil unrest spread from to not only US cities, but cities throughout the world. I had colleagues in different parts of the world talking about the city for weeks. It's probably now the most well-known mid-size, US city.
Lmaoooo
Ask a gas station clerk in Chiang Ma if they know anything about Minneapolis.

Old 12-27-2022, 04:37 PM

40 posts, read 27,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Lmaoooo
Ask a gas station clerk in Chiang Ma if they know anything about Minneapolis.

Good one.

I almost forgot what website I'm posting on. Posters hate when their city doesn't get the recognition they think it deserves. The fact is Minneapolis is far more recognized now than what it was in April of 2020 (domestically and internationally).

Last edited by RockyHighGuy; 12-27-2022 at 04:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City