Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which of these, if any, are global?
Phoenix 7 4.76%
Detroit 55 37.41%
Seattle 124 84.35%
Minneapolis 28 19.05%
San Diego 20 13.61%
Tampa 6 4.08%
Denver 11 7.48%
Baltimore 10 6.80%
St. Louis 8 5.44%
Charlotte 7 4.76%
San Antonio 6 4.08%
Portland 6 4.08%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 06:36 AM

1,355 posts, read 888,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dw572 View Post
Your personal experience is not reflective of the scale at large though. You're most likely speaking with people within your own region for them to even bring up MN being renown for starting the protest. Now if anything, George Floyd is known for George Floyd, not Minneapolis. The whole protest and movement did not gain real attention like that until the entire country was burning. That was when things got very serious and it was truely a time for discussions. If it was contained to only MN, it wouldn't have such a large post impact globally. It would've just been a local event around there.

In regards to Seattle, it's already settled here that Seattle is over rated on C-D.
Yeah you're living under a rock. GF is synonymous with Minneapolis. The riots in Minneapolis were the worst since the LA riots. Minneapolis was getting major coverage before any of the other riots even started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2022, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
No average person knows nothing about Minneapolis or where George Floyd was murdered, same as most people don't know where Sapporo is.
The average person doesn't know where the worst riots since the LA riots occurred? Then why does everyone mention GF when I tell them I'm from Minneapolis? I live in the south. Ppl know where GF was murdered here. Maybe not in the coastal cities where people live in a bubble. What does Sapporo have to do with anything? Did they get global coverage 2 years ago?

Old 12-27-2022, 06:48 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,341,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
The average person doesn't know where the worst riots since the LA riots occurred? Then why does everyone mention GF when I tell them I'm from Minneapolis? I live in the south. Ppl know where GF was murdered here. Maybe not in the coastal cities where people live in a bubble. What does Sapporo have to do with anything? Did they get global coverage 2 years ago?
This is a thread about global cities. Not how well people know your city in the south.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:54 AM

Quote:
This is a thread about global cities. Not how well people know your city in the south.
Someone else stated most people in this country don't know. But regardless, GF is known globally because of Minneapolis. Most people globally do not associate anything with Seattle but still gets credit for having well known global companies. Anyways, I feel Seattle is the most global overall. But not because most people know of Starbucks and Amazon.

Old 12-27-2022, 06:57 AM

12,855 posts, read 9,595,244 times
Quote:
Precisely. We all know where the okc bombing happened. Doesn’t make okc a global city.

Also had no idea Seattle can make so many emotional. In the real world, most people realize that amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks and Costco are from there. It’s the most global in this grouping

Old 12-27-2022, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaszilla View Post
Someone else stated most people in this country don't know. But regardless, GF is known globally because of Minneapolis. Most people globally do not associate anything with Seattle but still gets credit for having well known global companies. Anyways, I feel Seattle is the most global overall. But not because of Starbucks and Amazon.
Or Minneapolis is known globally because of GF?

Old 12-27-2022, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Or Minneapolis is known globally because of GF?
A bit of both. Had the riots have not occurred, I doubt a chain reaction which caused global attention would have occured. But yes, GF did put Minneapolis on the map.

Old 12-27-2022, 07:03 AM

5,016 posts, read 3,931,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Precisely. We all know where the okc bombing happened. Doesn’t make okc a global city.

Also had no idea Seattle can make so many emotional. In the real world, most people realize that amazon, Microsoft, Starbucks and Costco are from there. It’s the most global in this grouping
Definitely.

And, if for no other reason, it’s a gateway city for so many Asian immigrants and travelers (as discussed upthread).

I will say, I think there is likely a major drop in global recognition between the NYCs LAs DCs and Chicagos of the world, but as far as this list/comparison, it’s a clear #1.

Old 12-27-2022, 08:50 AM

259 posts, read 161,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Definitely.

And, if for no other reason, it’s a gateway city for so many Asian immigrants and travelers (as discussed upthread).

I will say, I think there is likely a major drop in global recognition between the NYCs LAs DCs and Chicagos of the world, but as far as this list/comparison, it’s a clear #1.
I agree Seattle is #1. But I'm not sure I'd go as far as saying it's clearly #1. Detroit is also a gateway city for Arab immigrants. The auto industry also begins and end with Detroit to this day still. There's more than GM, Ford and Chrysler with a presence in Detroit. Subaru and Toyota's R&D facility, Nissan's technical facility, Mercedes Benz's financial office, the auto show and numerous auto part suppliers to count just off the top of my head. It's not as cosmopolitan as Seattle though.

Old 12-27-2022, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Definitely.

Agree. I think Seattle is far below that grouping in notoriety, and obviously Miami imo, but it's the next tier. Not counting Vegas as it's a tourist destination, just like Macau or Monte Carlo.

Seattle is underrated here. Even 20 years ago when I lived in Texas, many people had a good idea that Starbucks started in Seattle. We also associated grunge music and craft beer to the city as well. I understand a lot of cities are known for their craft beer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City