Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is better in your opinion
Florida 47 44.34%
Michigan 59 55.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2023, 09:12 AM

96 posts, read 58,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
Michigan for me. I'm a four-season guy...and much prefer freshwater beaches. Sleeping Bear Dunes in Michigan blows away any beach in Florida imho.

And Detroit is about the coolest city on the planet in my book.
Couldn't agree with you more! Michigan has 4 distinct, beautiful seasons, FRESH water beaches, much less crowding and traffic, many interesting islands, much more dramatic topography (Sleeping Bear Dunes, Tahquamenon Falls, Porcupine Mountains, Picture Rocks) -- and yes, Detroit is just about the coolest city I've ever been to! I love visiting Florida, but just too much sprawl, traffic, flatness and humidity to live there year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2023, 09:57 AM

13,611 posts, read 7,918,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
I am a huge seafood fan! (I was a pescatarian for decades, still trying to be only eating seafood for my love of animals who seem to have “souls”. I feel less guilty eating seafood.) I grew up by the Pacific Ocean so seafood was the staple in my childhood.

Unfortunately my seafood experiences in FL were, alas, chains like Pinchers or touristy trap like Sharky’s on the Pier.

And I do love holes-in-the-wall places, there’s something so endearing about them. Recommend away please.
My all-time favorite, though I unfortunately haven't been in years, is Dixie Crossroads in Titusville.

Some other favorites of mine:

River Grille in Ormond Beach

Hull's Seafood in Ormond Beach, but it is LITERALLY ALWAYS jam-packed crowded.

Saltwater Cowboy's in St. Augustine Beach

Inlet Harbor in Ponce Inlet

Aunt Catfish's in Port Orange

Stewby's in Fort Walton Beach

The Fish House in Pensacola

Sunset Grille in Perdido Key

Even though it's a chain, it's very good for Florida-style BBQ: Woody's BBQ

This place has the best chicken wings you will ever eat as long as you order them "wally style": Houligan's in Ormond Beach

A bonus for some of the best Mexican food I've ever had: El Asador in Pensacola

Old 01-20-2023, 10:16 AM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Add to your good list:

River Oyster Bar
Joe’s Stone Crab
La Camaronera
Garcia’s
Mignonette
Stiltsville Fish Bar

Among others in Miami alone, not chains, and not hard to find with minimal effort. Haven’t even named the good ceviche or sushi restaurants here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscAlaMike View Post
My all-time favorite, though I unfortunately haven't been in years, is Dixie Crossroads in Titusville.

Some other favorites of mine:

River Grille in Ormond Beach

Hull's Seafood in Ormond Beach, but it is LITERALLY ALWAYS jam-packed crowded.

Saltwater Cowboy's in St. Augustine Beach

Inlet Harbor in Ponce Inlet

Aunt Catfish's in Port Orange

Stewby's in Fort Walton Beach

The Fish House in Pensacola

Sunset Grille in Perdido Key

Even though it's a chain, it's very good for Florida-style BBQ: Woody's BBQ

This place has the best chicken wings you will ever eat as long as you order them "wally style": Houligan's in Ormond Beach

A bonus for some of the best Mexican food I've ever had: El Asador in Pensacola

Old 01-21-2023, 10:30 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTracerJeff View Post
Couldn't agree with you more! Michigan has 4 distinct, beautiful seasons, FRESH water beaches, much less crowding and traffic, many interesting islands, much more dramatic topography (Sleeping Bear Dunes, Tahquamenon Falls, Porcupine Mountains, Picture Rocks) -- and yes, Detroit is just about the coolest city I've ever been to! I love visiting Florida, but just too much sprawl, traffic, flatness and humidity to live there year-round.

Mega-Ditto.

The entire country vacations in Florida...whereas pretty much only native Chicagoans like myself visit Michigan, and we only do a small sliver of the West Coast of Michigan.

Florida has its charms...in February....but Michigan is on a totally different level of four-season freshwater gorgeousness.

Old 01-22-2023, 06:42 PM

817 posts, read 626,876 times
I posted this already but it got removed for "hyperbolic language" when I was literally just stating an obvious fact. Anyways, lets hope this one stays up

Old 01-22-2023, 06:51 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Here is the real question.

Does any state get more love on CD vs. real life than Michigan?

And this is coming from someone who likes Michigan.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:27 PM

5,349 posts, read 5,126,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

CD is just realistic and not blinded by hedonistic excesses which drive people to dream of Florida

Old 01-23-2023, 03:32 PM

5,016 posts, read 3,912,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil P View Post
CD is just realistic and not blinded by hedonistic excesses which drive people to dream of Florida
CD is realistic. But the human population, in real life, isn’t.

Got it.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:33 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post

Michigan tends to get plenty of realistic assessments as well. I'm partial to Michigan myself but would have a hard time picking it over Florida this time of year.

Quite a few folks on here tend to view things through a more political perspective. Florida can be polarizing from that perspective and I think that's what this poll reflects more than anything.

Old 01-23-2023, 03:38 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Michigan tends to get plenty of realistic assessments as well. I'm partial to Michigan myself but would have a hard time picking it over Florida this time of year.

Quite a few folks on here tend to view things through a more political perspective. Florida can be polarizing from that perspective and I think that's what this poll reflects more than anything.
Well, there’s always a CD poll and then there’s the one in which people vote with their feet (as in which state far more people are moving to). In that one FL wins handily. Reality be damned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City