Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is better in your opinion
Florida 47 44.34%
Michigan 59 55.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2023, 12:48 PM

817 posts, read 626,327 times

Advertisements

I thought It'd be interesting to compare these two states, they're on the opposite sides of the country but also share some similarities. Both states are completely surrounded by water and known for their beaches. Their major cities are also similarly placed geographically. Detroit/Miami in the southeast Tampa/Grand Rapids in the west, The Florida Panhandle/The UP in the north.

Let's have these two peninsulas battle it out, which state is better when it comes to these criteria. I'll also add a poll

1) Cities

2) Beaches

3) Culture/Way of life

4) Crime rates

5) Education

6) Food

7) Diversity

8) Cost of living

9) Climate

10) Scenery

11) Jobs

12) Things to do
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2023, 02:35 PM

6,538 posts, read 12,032,561 times
Overall Florida even though Michigan is a nice state in its own way, very underrated and lots of nice areas once you get outside of Detroit or Flint.

1) Cities - Florida (because of Miami, Orlando, Tampa, even Jacksonville)

2) Beaches - Florida of course, although there are some nice beaches in the UP of Michigan

3) Culture/Way of life - Not sure, I'll give this one a tie.

4) Crime rates - Michigan is actually not bad outside of Detroit and Flint.

5) Education - I'll go with Michigan on this one

6) Food - Tough one. Michigan does have good Italian, Greek, and Middle Eastern food. But then again Florida has good Cuban food (tie)

7) Diversity - Florida has the edge, though Michigan not too far behind

8) Cost of living - Probably Michigan. Florida isn't cheap like it used to be, especially as you get closer to Miami.

9) Climate - Depends on if you prefer hot or cold weather. I prefer cold/seasons over heat/humidity most of the year

10) Scenery - Tie

11) Jobs - Florida

12) Things to do - Florida for sure

Old 01-18-2023, 02:59 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
1) Cities -- I prefer Grand Rapids to any city in Florida, but I'll still give the overall edge to Florida.

2) Beaches -- Florida for sure.

3) Culture/Way of life -- Michigan. I find the people there, at least the ones in West Michigan, to be much friendlier. It also feels like a somewhat slower, more relaxing pace.

4) Crime rates -- Probably Michigan, with certain exceptions like Detroit, Flint, and Benton Harbor.

5) Education -- Florida schools used to be horrible, but I hear they're getting better. Still, I'm guessing Michigan wins for K-12. For higher ed, probably a tie.

6) Food -- I'm not a foodie so I'm not really equipped to answer this one. Since I don't know, I'll call it a draw.

7) Diversity -- Probably Florida.

8) Cost of living -- Used to be Florida, and still is in parts; but overall, Michigan is probably cheaper.

9) Climate -- Michigan from May through October, Florida from November through April. But since I prefer seasonal change, I'll go with Michigan. (That said, I expect I'd be taking a few vacations down south during January and February!)

10) Scenery -- Michigan. Just a wider variety of landscapes, despite the overall similar flatness. (Michigan is not entirely flat, but it's not too far from it.) Away from the coasts, I find Florida to be surprisingly dull to look at.

11) Jobs -- Used to be Michigan hands down, but with the decline of the auto industry and the rise of the service economy, I would say Florida.

12) Things to do -- Florida, without question.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:04 PM

16,555 posts, read 10,607,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NearFantastica View Post
Both states are completely surrounded by water
Just a quibble, but in actual fact, both states are mostly surrounded by water. Florida shares a land border with Alabama and Georgia; Michigan shares a land border with Indiana, Ohio, and Wisconsin.

Old 01-18-2023, 03:40 PM

5,015 posts, read 3,909,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
2) Beaches - Florida of course, although there are some nice beaches in the UP of Michigan
One very minor correction… Nobodies going to the UP for the beaches. People go to West Michigan for that, or all the interior lakes.

Here’s a fun one for those that aren’t familiar… Google Torch Lake. Incredibly pretty.

Old 01-18-2023, 04:05 PM

2,327 posts, read 2,276,900 times
I’ll try to not be toooooo biased…

1) Cities - Florida by a wide margin. Detroit is most comparable to Miami and Miami is way better. Detroit’s suburbs are good though so it’s not a runaway. Michigan has no answer to Tampa, Orlando, or Jacksonville. Grand Rapids is probably most comparable to Lakeland, maybe Jacksonville if we are stretching it. For smaller cities, Macinack seems pretty nice but Florida has nice smaller cities too.

2) Beaches - Florida

3) Culture/Way of life - Michigan

4) Crime rates - Florida

5) Education - Michigan

6) Food - Florida, not sure though

7) Diversity - Florida

8) Cost of living - Michigan by a wide margin

9) Climate - Florida

10) Scenery - Michigan. Beaches aside, I’ll take Michigan’s small mountains and waterfalls over Florida’s springs and lakes. If coral reefs count that might put this one in Florida’s favor.

11) Jobs - Florida

12) Things to do - Florida

Last edited by FL_Expert; 01-18-2023 at 04:28 PM..

Old 01-18-2023, 05:16 PM

1,169 posts, read 1,430,725 times
1) Cities = Florida (Orlando/Tampa/Miami all supersede any city in Michigan)

2) Beaches = Florida by a landslide

3) Culture/Way of life = This is a rather subjective question, both states have different types of culture.

4) Crime rates = Tie

5) Education = Florida (UF/FSU/UCF/UM/USF/etc.)

6) Food = Florida

7) Diversity = Florida by a landslide

8) Cost of living = Florida (No state income tax)

9) Climate = Florida

10) Scenery = Florida

11) Jobs = Florida

12) Things to do = Florida

Old 01-18-2023, 06:24 PM

211 posts, read 119,096 times
2) Beaches = Florida but Michigan's western beaches can be quite pretty.

3) Culture/Way of life = If you like South American or European culture, Miami has some of that in its own weird capacity. But, Miami people are often pretty rude. I like Detroit people well enough. If I'm having fun, I probably like Tampa/St Pete people the most, but for other purposes probably Detroit area.

4) Crime rates = Tie

5) Education = U of M no question

6) Food = Detroit area. Miami has a lot of bougie crap and some good latin american food, but outside of Mexican and Brazilian food, not over the moon for latin food. Cubanos are good, but not mandatory.

7) Diversity = Detroit is quite diverse. Tons of people from the middle east. But, I'd say Florida takes it but only because of Miami and Miami is a pain.

8) Cost of living = Michigan unless your quite well to do. Florida doesn't have too many high paying jobs. With that said, Florida property taxes are low + no income taxes. Both states have crazy auto insurance situations though.

9) Climate = Florida

10) Scenery = the UP is very nice. Pictured Rocks is great, but I'd go with Florida overall.

11) Jobs = Tie

12) Things to do = Florida

Old 01-18-2023, 06:30 PM

372 posts, read 203,090 times
Just can't go with Florida...way too crowded.

Old 01-18-2023, 06:39 PM

7,407 posts, read 6,537,276 times
1. Cities: FL
2. Beaches: FL
3. Culture: FL
4. Crime: Tie
5. Education: MI
6. Food: FL
7. Diversity: FL
8. Cost of Living: MI
9. Climate: FL
10. Scenery: ?
11. Jobs: Tie
12. Things to do: FL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City