Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state is better in your opinion
Florida 47 44.34%
Michigan 59 55.66%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 03:39 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,056,775 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
Well, there’s always a CD poll and then there’s people voting with their feet (as in which one far more people are moving to). In that one FL wins handily. Reality be damned.
Mostly by former Michigan residents lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2023, 03:42 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,542,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Good one.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:35 PM

1,035 posts, read 564,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Ha. No. I voted for Michigan and I am a former Florida resident.

So what does that tell you?!

The poll isn’t asking what state has bigger tourism or better beach body.

Detroit is actually a very cool city who’s been making a stride in sustainability (among many other things) and its airport is one of the best airports in the U.S, absolutely futuristic, modern and clean.

There are only a handful of fine art museums in the U.S that are truly world class, Detroit Museum of Art is one of them. (Sorry, none of the museums in Miami or Florida made the cut.)

Ann Arbor alone beats the Florida colleges in terms of high education.

Florida IS beautiful, but Michigan, to my surprise, is not some inland state with no body of water and no scenery. Sarah Samuel Sherman, a famous interior designer who’s from Michigan and has projects nationwide, often posted her hometown beaches on social media, I was very pleasantly surprised. Like a typical “bi-coastal” person, I didn’t learn about the beauty about the Midwest until I met my Cleveland-bred husband. If anything I learned (even from just reading on c-d.) is to be open-minded with many places I’m not familiar with and be curious and be respectful.

You’d be surprised how many people love having four seasons and don’t need or want to live in “paradise”.

Old 01-23-2023, 04:46 PM

and yet for all that, Florida population has increased 39% since 2000 (even as it gets more expensive it was the fastest growing state in 2022--see link below) whereas Michigan population is basically flat (up 1%). That's what the census numbers tell me. It's not just warm climate and beaches.

https://www.census.gov/newsroom/pres...estimates.html

I live in the largest city in FL and have some of the top and most successful restaurants and chefs from NYC, CA, DC and Europe opening up outposts and coming to me; I live in a multicultural city where I am friends with people from Morocco, Turkey. Russia, South Africa, China, India, France, Greece, Poland, Israel, not to mention most of Latin America; we've got the most prominent art festival in North America and largest food and wine festival in the nation; music events that we have also exported to other continents, including Asia (Ultra Music Fest); we're known as the cruise capital of the world and have access from more than 1 airport to more than 2 dozen countries within a 60 minute - 3 hour plane ride; we have modern, higher speed rail that is expanding and connects more FL cities each year.....and that's just my city, not including the rest of the state--no shortage of culture and things to do in FL....but my mother, RIP, loved change of seasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Ha. No. I voted for Michigan and I am a former Florida resident.

So what does that tell you?!

The poll isn’t asking what state has bigger tourism or better beach body.

Detroit is actually a very cool city who’s been making a stride in sustainability (among many other things) and its airport is one of the best airports in the U.S, absolutely futuristic, modern and clean.

There are only a handful of fine art museums in the U.S that are truly world class, Detroit Museum of Art is one of them. (Sorry, none of the museums in Miami or Florida made the cut.)

Ann Arbor alone beats the Florida colleges in terms of high education.

Florida IS beautiful, but Michigan, to my surprise, is not some inland state with no body of water and no scenery. Sarah Samuel Sherman, a famous interior designer who’s from Michigan and has projects nationwide, often posted her hometown beaches on social media, I was very pleasantly surprised. Like a typical “bi-coastal” person, I didn’t learn about the beauty about the Midwest until I met my Cleveland-bred husband. If anything I learned (even from just reading on c-d.) is to be open-minded with many places I’m not familiar with and be curious and be respectful.

You’d be surprised how many people love having four seasons and don’t need or want to live in “paradise”.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-23-2023 at 05:22 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 05:26 PM

1,035 posts, read 564,212 times
Quote:
and yet for all that, Florida population has increased 39% since 2000 (even as it gets more expensive) whereas Michigan population is basically flat (up 1%). That's what the census numbers tell me. It's not just warm climate and beaches.

I live in the largest city in the FL and have some of the top and most successful restaurants from NYC, CA, DC and Europe opening up outposts and coming to me; I live in a multicultural city where I am friends with people from Morocco, Turkey. Russia, South Africa, China, France, Greece, Israel, not to mention most of Latin America; we've got the most prominent art festival in North America and largest food and wine festival in the nation; we're known as the cruise capital of the world and have access to more than 2 dozen countries within a 60 minute - 3 hour plane ride.....and that's just my city, not including the rest of the state....but my mother, RIP, loved change of seasons.
I was trying to be objective when I mentioned the parts Michigan does better than Florida.

There are many great things about Florida (or I wouldn’t have moved there in 2020/2021.) and we all know one big reason that contributed to the major increase of population and popularity in FL was the Covid restrictions in other states. Besides, like any place that’s heavy on tourism and “resort” city, you’re going to attract most average people who move to FL for the sunshine and beaches, (and no income tax) they are not moving to FL for the higher education, airports and if the fine arm museum is considered world class.

But what I pointed out is based on objective observation. My feelings for FL and Michigan aside. (I can’t handle cold weather, I always got sick in winter in NYC, like NYU-hospital-ER-7-IV shots sick. I don’t think I’d handle Michigan winter but that doesn’t take away its strength and parts where I think it does better than FL.)

If you replace Illinois to compare with FL, I’d still point out that for University of Chicago alone wins by a landslide over FL’s colleges, and O’Hare the airport is the only airport that flies directly to all 6 continents in the U.S.-despite the fact Chicago has been losing populations.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and happiness in living in Miami, the city should hire you to do their PR! I wish I could have felt the same way about Florida, I do, but alas, we are in the different stage of life and mind set. I personally love the warm weather, I do know many people who prefer four distinguishable seasons though.

My comment really is to point out why some people voted Michigan (who weren’t the former Michigan residents.) because objectively there are parts of Michigan that are better than Florida, high education is one of them.

Now I’m excited Miami is going to host 2026 World Cup! Nobody parties better than Miami that’s for sure!-now that’s Miami’s strength.

Old 01-23-2023, 05:33 PM

I do not dispute there are quite a few who prefer Michigan for the reasons you stated but objectively speaking, numbers don’t lie and the Census figures for the entire state of Florida clearly indicate there are many more people who continue to prefer The Sunshine State for its strengths. Probably a more realistic indicator than a random CD poll.

Last edited by elchevere; 01-23-2023 at 05:50 PM..

Old 01-23-2023, 08:34 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
I do not dispute there are quite a few who prefer Michigan for the reasons you stated but objectively speaking, numbers don’t lie and the Census figures for the entire state of Florida clearly indicate there are many more people who continue to prefer The Sunshine State for its strengths. Probably a more realistic indicator than a random CD poll.

As a Midwesterner who has been traveling to Florida since I was in diapers in 71...and whose family had a place on Anna Maria Island for decades.....

I used to LOVE Florida, but with every trip...the love dissipates, the traffic worsens, the sprawl intensifies.

Michigan has more coastline, more topography, more peninsulas (the lower and upper both have their own peninsulas) more seasons, more Islands.

It is also two peninsulas in the middle of a continent, meaning it is not an isolated appendage as is Florida.

Michigan also lacks Hurricanes, alligators, mass refugees, mind-numbing traffic, and tourist hellholes

Old 01-23-2023, 09:34 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
And one more thing...Michigan means Big Water in a Native Language....

Florida I believes means Pretty in Colonizing tongue.

Big win for Michigan there I'd think for the Woke Crowd

Old 01-23-2023, 10:17 PM

824 posts, read 711,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwj119 View Post
Here is the real question.

Does any state get more love on CD vs. real life than Michigan?

And this is coming from someone who likes Michigan.
Honestly a lot of people really like Michigan though, If this was Ohio vs Florida, I’d see what you are saying, but Michigan is one of the few well-liked Midwest states, along with Illinois(Chicago) and Minnesota.

Old 01-24-2023, 05:01 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Michigan. Go Blue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City