Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2023, 01:35 PM

50 posts, read 36,232 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by personone View Post
As you already know, it’s mostly the South Side and to a degree West Side. Post George Floyd riots, as with most major cities, there’s been more spillover into the historically nicer areas (downtown and the North Side), but based on statistics the vast majority of violent crime is in the South and West sides. This is well known.
Does stuff like this still go on?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEnPmPGF4aY

Old 03-08-2023, 01:37 PM

372 posts, read 204,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by areyouaweir View Post

Just happened in Florida...a reporter was killed. Random things like this can happen anywhere....

Old 03-08-2023, 01:40 PM

50 posts, read 36,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
Just happened in Florida...a reporter was killed. Random things like this can happen anywhere....
I mean, are criminals still this brazen?

Old 03-08-2023, 01:46 PM

Quote:
I mean, are criminals still this brazen?
Depends on the individual. Each criminal is their own person. Criminals aren't all the same. Some are brazen, some are not. They are not exclusive to Chicago, if that's what you're asking. They can be anywhere. Look what happened at that restaurant in Queens last night by those masked individuals...totally random and unexpected.

Old 03-08-2023, 02:07 PM

39 posts, read 24,774 times
It’s the culture. NYC is like the the world in one place and the YEAR ROUND energy of it all is unmatched. I’ve lived in both Chicago and NYC, and there’s just something vastly more vibrant about NYC’s neighborhoods. Chicago comes to life in summer and summer alone, which is better than NYC summers (with the exception of St Patty’s, really) because the lake is more accessible than NYC has access to their oceanic (dirty) beaches (trips to the Jersey Shore/LI are cool though). Plus Chicago has all the fun summer events that aren’t as “clusterf*ck” like NYC events tend to be. But regarding the culture, it comes down to essential things like street foods, international markets and Latin bodegas that are more widespread and provide ways for working class people to better budget/feed themselves compared to Chicago where working class neighborhoods are just shamelessly left out of the equation (food deserts). Let alone are those neighborhoods generally just so much more crime ridden. Even in well to do areas of NYC you will find vast amounts of culture and diversity whereas well to do areas in Chicago are just plain bland (with some exceptions)

Last edited by AnubisMoon; 03-08-2023 at 02:18 PM..

Old 03-08-2023, 02:18 PM

37,188 posts, read 39,473,415 times
Quote:

This is going to be rare in any neighborhood in NYC or Chicago that you would likely be interested in if you're thinking about possibly paying $3,500 in rent for a single person. Terrible incidents happen, but they're statistically pretty rare outside of specific areas that you are pretty unlikely to be in, so I think crime on your budget would probably be a pretty minor factor since that's not where you'd likely to be living or working.

Old 03-08-2023, 03:11 PM

5,465 posts, read 5,717,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
If there is a case for NYC being worth its cost premium over Chicago, it certainly isn't being made in this thread.

Seeing the usual boiler plate "its the vibe, the energy" type replies along with the typical vague "late night food" anecdotal stories.

Of course the NYC side will laugh at the notion that there even needs to be any justification, but if it can't be articulated in writing (it hasn't), then we're all free to draw conclusions from that.
Because the comparison is actually ridiculous on face value for people who actually experienced both cities on the ground. The only things comparable are maybe skylines from afar, the actual cities are very different in practice. The gap between NYC and Chicago is similar to Chicago and Cleveland... "Why pay premium for Chicago when you can live in Cleveland?"

As far as the thread is concerned. NYC has better:
- jobs and salaries: both diversity and quantity of jobs available, as well as higher salaries and higher ceilings.
- weather
- diversity, quantity, and quality of food/restaurants
- nightlife
- entertainment of all kinds from high class to low class and everything in between
- variety and quantity of cultural events, festivals, celebrities and acts available to see, etc.
- much more global/multinational city
- less crime overall: less murders, less property crime, less violent crime, etc. (pretty much all of the city is accessible to visit, there are no "no go" areas in NYC. You may not want to live in certain neighborhoods, but if you want to visit a restaurant or a friend, you can just go anywhere without thinking about it).

Old 03-08-2023, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Because the comparison is actually ridiculous on face value for people who actually experienced both cities on the ground. The only things comparable are maybe skylines from afar, the actual cities are very different in practice. The gap between NYC and Chicago is similar to Chicago and Cleveland... "Why pay premium for Chicago when you can live in Cleveland?"

As far as the thread is concerned. NYC has better:
- jobs and salaries: both diversity and quantity of jobs available, as well as higher salaries and higher ceilings.
- weather
- diversity, quantity, and quality of food/restaurants
- nightlife
- entertainment of all kinds from high class to low class and everything in between
- variety and quantity of cultural events, festivals, celebrities and acts available to see, etc.
- much more global/multinational city
- less crime overall: less murders, less property crime, less violent crime, etc. (pretty much all of the city is accessible to visit, there are no "no go" areas in NYC. You may not want to live in certain neighborhoods, but if you want to visit a restaurant or a friend, you can just go anywhere without thinking about it).
I think most of what you listed can be found in Chicago. Higher salaries in NYC are necessary, as it's so expensive. Anyway, lots of festivals, cultural events, etc., in Chicago. Maybe not as many celebrities, but I doubt you're hanging out with them anyway, lol. You do need to be careful where you go, but that's true in a lot of cities, now. Anyway, that's my take.

Old 03-08-2023, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
People who move to New York Brag about having like a “Bodega Guy” who knows their breakfast order or whatever. But if there are 6000 Bodegas in New York, every time you go to your bodega you’re not visiting a different one. The fact New York has 3x more Bodega/Corner stores whatever is pretty much irrelevant. Cause you’re going to a fraction approaching 0 of them. You may end up going to like 5 of them.
That entirely depends how long you've been living in NYC for. Over the past 20 years, since I've moved around the city I had maybe 10 "local" bodegas I'd go to. But as far as visited... I'd say easily over 200+ all over the city. Have no idea on the actual number.
Same for restaurants. Sure, I have restaurants I'd go to often, but there is also huge variety of restaurants that I've been to only once or just a few times. There are also these food fads every year that I'd at least try. One thing that still keeps me in NYC all these years is definitely the variety of food options...

Old 03-08-2023, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicala View Post
I think most of what you listed can be found in Chicago. Higher salaries in NYC are necessary, as it's so expensive. Anyway, lots of festivals, cultural events, etc., in Chicago. Maybe not as many celebrities, but I doubt you're hanging out with them anyway, lol. You do need to be careful where you go, but that's true in a lot of cities, now. Anyway, that's my take.
Most of what I listed can be found in Cleveland too. But I am sure you'd agree there is a difference.
Also, there are some truly global events that are frankly you can only experience in NY. Some acts, especially from Asia (Korea I am looking at you here) only play in California and NY, and some events you can find ONLY in NYC, because they are usually only exclusive New York-London-Tokyo-Hong Kong type deals. Chicago is a lot more 'American' in that sense. Ditto for fashion brands and some international restaurants.

That is why a poster on the very first page gave excellent advice:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Quiet_One View Post
Honestly, if you even have to ask this question, then live in Chicago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City