Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2023, 01:23 AM

325 posts, read 205,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westburbsil View Post
It is funny, Chicago now is bigger and more beautiful than ever with the riverwalk, all the neighborhoods, Mill Park, River North, West Loop, etc.

I would say Chicago is a better and more appealing place to LIVE now than ever.

In regards to notoriety nationally, it is less, as a huge sports fans all our teams have been awful, obviously past the MJ era, no Oprah, Sears Tower is now the 30th(I dont actually know) tallest building in the world, etc.

It is far safer than the 90s and "glory era" but when Obama got President, the press and esp Fox decided Chicago crime always.

Not saying there is not a problem, but per capita not even close.

To the poster saying NYC, I agree. I love NYC, my favorite city. It is now a city of the rich and gentirfication has destroyed many great parts of the cities and boroughs. Downtown Brooklyn is so sterile now and Hell's Kitchen is as well with Hudson Yards.

The energy is still there, but just not the same IMO back in the 80s 2000s for me.
I think most of Chicago's more recent reputation is more about the drill music scene/"chiraq" than the Obama admin honestly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2023, 05:31 AM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
3 pages in and no one has mentioned New York in regards to decline. This board's historic East Coast/New York bias won't even allow the consideration of NY in decline in any aspect lol...

For clarity, I was born in '89 so I grew up and cane of age in the 90s and 00s, I'm black, and my entire upbringing, save a year in Memphis, was between California and mainly Virginia; these characteristics are relevant as the influences of all likely shaped the perceptive view I grew up with!

Greater NY MSA has grown by 19.55% in my lifetime, from the '90 Census thru the '20 Census, and the City of New York has grown by 20.23% in my lifetime during the same span. So in terms of population, and economically as well, NY hasn't suffered decline---->what I'm speaking of is NY's waning influence over the country as a whole, and point two, that while 20% growth over 30 years is healthy, numerous cities have exceeded that level of growth by multiples in thw same time frame...

The New York I grew up under was the place everybody wanted to be. It was the epicenter of hip hop, the epicenter of American fashion, the epicenter of American media. On just these three points alone:

In the last 30 years, hip hop has gone from a burgeoning but still niche genre, to not just the biggest American music genre, today hip hop is the most popular musical art form on the planet. It's an entire culture that was birthed in NY, and was a largely NY-dominant culture when the genre was less mainstream. As hip hop grew in popularity it also became less NY-centric, and this is proven in many ways...

This is so relevant to the point because hip hop is the music of the country. It's everywhere now, listened to across all demographics, crossed over into older genres that now incorporate hip hip into their form with regularity. It's the primary soundtrack of cinema of varying genres. It's influence has always been youthful, but back I'm the day it was nearly entirely youthful...

The kids who grew up on 80s and 90s hip hop, many are 40+, and what you have is a dynamic that didn't exist in '93---->50 year olds with hip hop as their primary musical choice...

Today, NY is still home to the legacy radio stations and legacy hip hop reputation in general, that it basically has across American pop culture. But NY isn't the first city most hip hip heads think of anymore. It's not the city setting the hip hop trends anymore, and hasn't for probably about 20 years now. It's been about 20 years of waning influence that continues to dwindle, contemporary NY hip hop borrows from other cities' styles more than the reverse...

I just think with how large hip hop is globally, this is a point worth mentioning. You don't have to go to NY to get a foot in the industry anymore. NY isn't even the most desirable place to go to anymore, whereas in generations past hip hop artists from far and wide trekked to NY to make it in the industry...

Fashion and media are much the same. NY is the ultimate legacy city, will always be relevant. The large conglomerates across numerous industries are mostly all headquartered in NY, but this is more a symbol of NY's legacy than NY's pop culture relevance today...

To be sure, I'm clearly not saying NY is no longer relevant. I'm saying it's relevance and influence is pretty dramatically reversed from what it was. I've known just as many people my age who moved to NY for the big city experience, as have moved to DC for the same, and I've known more people to try out Atlanta for that experience just the same. Once you get east of the Atlantic Seaboard, NY starts losing physical influence almost immediately. And when you west of The Mississippi NY's influence is almost undetectable. I've been out here in Vegas for two weeks and I've heard NY mentioned twice (Brooklyn by two different people)...

You know who I do hear alot about, is Los Angeles, almost everyday, and this harkens back to my post last year during my time in Boise, same dynamic. This board has always had a disconnect on LA's influence in reality compared to NY's, and how the two cities are perceived in comparison to each other. New York isn't a topic here, and this underscores that an individual's reality is largely regional. NY is ”The mecca” to everything on the Atlantic coast. That isnt how most of the rest of the nation views New York City...

People don't need NY's fashion nor media to set the trends because so much influential fashion and media are coming from elsewhere...

So I guess my point is, while the city hasn't declined, the popularity of the city has certainly decreased...
I’m wondering if the LA influence is due to many people moving from LA to Vegas as well. I say that because LA seems to be the reverse of NYC in regards to the further away, the less influence.

I also think of say Basketball when I think of NYC and what I see happening is that there is a rebirth of sorts in that scene for the city(and even state). I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if you start seeing more pro players coming out of NYC/NYS in the coming years from what I can tell. So, I think for NYC, there may be something in the back of some people’s minds that it can bounce back in various sectors, including Hip Hop, relatively quickly.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:06 AM

14,024 posts, read 15,037,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
3 pages in and no one has mentioned New York in regards to decline. This board's historic East Coast/New York bias won't even allow the consideration of NY in decline in any aspect lol...

For clarity, I was born in '89 so I grew up and cane of age in the 90s and 00s, I'm black, and my entire upbringing, save a year in Memphis, was between California and mainly Virginia; these characteristics are relevant as the influences of all likely shaped the perceptive view I grew up with!

Greater NY MSA has grown by 19.55% in my lifetime, from the '90 Census thru the '20 Census, and the City of New York has grown by 20.23% in my lifetime during the same span. So in terms of population, and economically as well, NY hasn't suffered decline---->what I'm speaking of is NY's waning influence over the country as a whole, and point two, that while 20% growth over 30 years is healthy, numerous cities have exceeded that level of growth by multiples in thw same time frame...

The New York I grew up under was the place everybody wanted to be. It was the epicenter of hip hop, the epicenter of American fashion, the epicenter of American media. On just these three points alone:

In the last 30 years, hip hop has gone from a burgeoning but still niche genre, to not just the biggest American music genre, today hip hop is the most popular musical art form on the planet. It's an entire culture that was birthed in NY, and was a largely NY-dominant culture when the genre was less mainstream. As hip hop grew in popularity it also became less NY-centric, and this is proven in many ways...

This is so relevant to the point because hip hop is the music of the country. It's everywhere now, listened to across all demographics, crossed over into older genres that now incorporate hip hip into their form with regularity. It's the primary soundtrack of cinema of varying genres. It's influence has always been youthful, but back I'm the day it was nearly entirely youthful...

The kids who grew up on 80s and 90s hip hop, many are 40+, and what you have is a dynamic that didn't exist in '93---->50 year olds with hip hop as their primary musical choice...

Today, NY is still home to the legacy radio stations and legacy hip hop reputation in general, that it basically has across American pop culture. But NY isn't the first city most hip hip heads think of anymore. It's not the city setting the hip hop trends anymore, and hasn't for probably about 20 years now. It's been about 20 years of waning influence that continues to dwindle, contemporary NY hip hop borrows from other cities' styles more than the reverse...

I just think with how large hip hop is globally, this is a point worth mentioning. You don't have to go to NY to get a foot in the industry anymore. NY isn't even the most desirable place to go to anymore, whereas in generations past hip hop artists from far and wide trekked to NY to make it in the industry...

Fashion and media are much the same. NY is the ultimate legacy city, will always be relevant. The large conglomerates across numerous industries are mostly all headquartered in NY, but this is more a symbol of NY's legacy than NY's pop culture relevance today...

To be sure, I'm clearly not saying NY is no longer relevant. I'm saying it's relevance and influence is pretty dramatically reversed from what it was. I've known just as many people my age who moved to NY for the big city experience, as have moved to DC for the same, and I've known more people to try out Atlanta for that experience just the same. Once you get east of the Atlantic Seaboard, NY starts losing physical influence almost immediately. And when you west of The Mississippi NY's influence is almost undetectable. I've been out here in Vegas for two weeks and I've heard NY mentioned twice (Brooklyn by two different people)...

You know who I do hear alot about, is Los Angeles, almost everyday, and this harkens back to my post last year during my time in Boise, same dynamic. This board has always had a disconnect on LA's influence in reality compared to NY's, and how the two cities are perceived in comparison to each other. New York isn't a topic here, and this underscores that an individual's reality is largely regional. NY is ”The mecca” to everything on the Atlantic coast. That isnt how most of the rest of the nation views New York City...

People don't need NY's fashion nor media to set the trends because so much influential fashion and media are coming from elsewhere...

So I guess my point is, while the city hasn't declined, the popularity of the city has certainly decreased...
The fact New York successfully exports its culture and people want to imitate it is a sign of its power. Even recently you see cities naming neighborhoods in the Manhattan way, NoDo/SoDo is common. NIMBYs everywhere decry Manhattanization

It’s not like House or Gogo Music became mainstream like Punk or Hip Hop. LA has never created a genre like New York did.

Also in 2016 both Presidential candidates were from New York. Trumps whole gaggle were New York Elites.

Also at least in my lifetime NY and LA have always been 1A and 1B. I think I’m the last ~30 years LA has really slowed its ascent. I do think New York’s domestic decline has been masked by the simultaneous growth in America’s international profile. So I think it’s treading water than declining. Although on a longer time horizon (say if you’re 50 rather than 25) NYC probably has declined

Also where there is almost a dozen cities in absolute decline, a minor relative decline would be overlooked. Compared to sag Pittsburgh, Cleveland or Detroit.

Also of note, the NYT is become so much bigger than it was in say 1994. As local news declined random crap that happens in New York is now a national discussion

Last edited by btownboss4; 05-05-2023 at 06:52 AM..

Old 05-05-2023, 06:16 AM

490 posts, read 864,875 times
During my lifetime, cities that have taken off and moved up a tier from where they were are Austin, Raleigh, Charlotte, Columbus, Indianapolis, Portland, Seattle, Las Vegas, Nashville, Oklahoma City, and Orlando. Cities that have faded and aren't as important as they once were include Youngstown, Scranton, Hartford, Rochester, Buffalo, and Peoria.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:20 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
Coming at this from a non-hip hop pov, NYC feels similar to it always has. Probably has a better reputation than it did in the 80s honestly. The Disneyfication of the 90s really set the tone for it, but even here on the (South) East Coast, it remained a place to visit not necessarily move to. Beyond its media and cultural impact, I think its actual physical pull has been mostly limited to the BoWash area for a couple generations for average Americans.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:27 AM

7,411 posts, read 6,563,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heel82 View Post
Coming at this from a non-hip hop pov, NYC feels similar to it always has. Probably has a better reputation than it did in the 80s honestly. The Disneyfication of the 90s really set the tone for it, but even here on the (South) East Coast, it remained a place to visit not necessarily move to. Beyond its media and cultural impact, I think its actual physical pull has been mostly limited to the BoWash area for a couple generations for average Americans.
And within NYC, Brooklyn has improved over the years.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:30 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty Joe Young View Post
Omaha has entered the “Great Plains cities gaining” discussion.. Des Moines too…
Yup. I was born in 1985 and both of these cities have changed dramatically in my life time. Both essentially having turned from somewhat forgotten backwaters, into thriving and surprisingly cosmopolitan places.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:30 AM

4,159 posts, read 2,856,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elchevere View Post
And within NYC, Brooklyn has improved over the years.
That very much is true. Brooklyn’s profile has been raised immeasurably.

Old 05-05-2023, 06:33 AM

1,351 posts, read 898,728 times
Nationally, I think Austin is the city that's made the biggest leap in status. When I was a kid it was kind of only known for being the capital of Texas, and the outlaw country music scene. You had to say "Austin, Texas" so people knew what town you were talking about.

Now it's a ubiquitous major city and cultural destination.

Old 05-05-2023, 07:36 AM
Status: "See My Blog Entries for my Top 500 Most Important USA Cities" (set 13 days ago)

1,051 posts, read 980,463 times
Gained (+) relevance: Atlanta is the big one that I think. Not in any order, also: Austin, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston, Seattle, Denver, Charlotte, Raleigh-Durham, Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Las Vegas, Phoenix.

Lost (-) relevance: New Orleans, Memphis, and St. Louis. Of the three, Memphis has had the largest relative decline over the past 30 years, by far. There are other large/major cities that I believe have lost relevance, but I am hesitant to include/list them here without doing some further research first.

Small/midsize cities gained (+) relevance: Boise, Reno, Savannah, Fargo, Sioux Falls, Huntsville, Asheville, Fayetteville AR, Greenville SC, all of the small Florida coastal cities: Pensacola, Daytona Beach, Melbourne/Brevard County, Sarasota/Bradenton, Fort Myers/Cape Coral, Port St. Lucie, Destin, Myrtle Beach, Gulf Shores AL

Small/midsize cities lost (-) relevance: Jackson MS, Shreveport LA, Montgomery AL, Peoria IL, Rockford IL, Flint MI, Saginaw MI, Youngstown OH, Scranton PA, Johnstown PA, Altoona PA, Charleston WV, Utica NY

Last edited by g500; 05-05-2023 at 08:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City