Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2023, 10:52 AM

1,374 posts, read 924,407 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Lol the guy in the posts you referenced lives in Midtown, the most dense hood in the city, of course he can get by car free. Thats like being impressed somebody is car free in downtown Chicago or Lower manhattan. Let's see him go car free living in Bankhead, or Atlantic Station, or Summerhill, or North Druid hills, etc. You know, the actual neighborhoods.

And of course those are the exceptions, those are stations near downtown/midtown/buckhead. The Decatur station (ironically, a suburb) is probably the best example of building around a MARTA station outside of the core city area in the metro.
Atlantic Station is doable for car free living (walkable distance to MARTA, supermarket, cafes, and restaurants) and there's a free shuttle bus that goes to Midtown. Summerhill will be doable as well as a Publix just opened up there and there is BRT opening and you will have access to the MARTA stations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2023, 10:47 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShenardL View Post
Atlantic Station is doable for car free living (walkable distance to MARTA, supermarket, cafes, and restaurants) and there's a free shuttle bus that goes to Midtown. Summerhill will be doable as well as a Publix just opened up there and there is BRT opening and you will have access to the MARTA stations.
Dc walkability isn’t about living next to a huge supermarket though.

Old 07-07-2023, 01:18 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
For the most part nowhere that I've moved (Chi, DC, Reno, Seattle/Tacoma, SF) has been a culture shock. You can pretty much find any type of person or any group/activity or lifestyle in any of these. SF does have a certain "living in the future" energy that it's hard to find elsewhere, but only in (parts of) the city proper.

The only place I've lived where I really felt culture shock was my small Midwestern college town. Almost everyone was (nominally at least) Christian, and many of them actively went to church. I knew a lot of people who had never lived in a town bigger than 20-30k, and a few who had grown up right in town. The existence felt so constrained: streets just abruptly ended a few blocks from campus; there were no major arterial roads continuing for 30 miles like I was used to. If this all sounds eye-rollingly pedestrian, that's my point. I really think everyone from big cities should try living in a small town (and vice versa) if they ever get an opportunity, if for no other reason than to gain perspective on what you grew up with.

Old 07-07-2023, 05:05 AM

253 posts, read 122,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I really think everyone from big cities should try living in a small town (and vice versa) if they ever get an opportunity, if for no other reason than to gain perspective on what you grew up with.

That is a good point. During my adult life (so far) I have lived and worked in a moderate-sized metro, a mega-sized metro, and a micropolitan city. Each one offers a unique overall experience, peppered with both enjoyable and frustrating aspects. The opportunity to be immersed in this range of city size also revealed the misperceptions that residents of one end of the spectrum may hold about residents of the other end - due entirely to lack of exposure of the lived experiences of each.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City