Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 04:22 PM

211 posts, read 119,215 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_Watts View Post
That's an interesting take, Because most native Chicagoans I know and have met outside of it view Chicago as the center of the universe and aren't anywhere close to thinking of Chicago trying to be like anything other than "Chicago."

That whole "Chicago thinks it's trying to be like New York" thing I generally see come from either those that have only visited Chicago or Chicago transplants... In real life and on this site.
Yeah that's the thing, Chicago is NOT the center of the universe. It's BARELY the third most important city in the US - and even that's a stretch.

DC, SF Bay Area, Miami, Boston, even Atlanta are rival it for cultural clout - And that's not even getting into Texas which has some fairly so-so big cities build wise (Dallas, Houston) but has a strong overall cultural brand.

I'd argue everyone of those places is a worthy rival to Chicago and none of them lack the self awareness that Chicago does -

When the average person in a city lacks self awareness, they're going to follow trends and not even notice that they are.

That's NOT to say Chicago didn't USE to be an immensely important place and the signs of this all all over the city and its vast wealth, but these days, its clout is limited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2023, 02:07 PM

3,444 posts, read 3,368,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBornMassMade View Post
"I grew up in New York, but moved to Hollywood in my late twenties (around 2007). It was a real culture shock. You had to keep moving your car on your street for street sweeping. Plus the houses, even small and ugly, cost millions."

You have to do this in NYC, I just did it at 8 am this morning in Baltimore...
This seems like a typical article where it's overdramatic, just to get more clicks? What's new with Buzzfeed, as they've always been like that? Of course in any city you move to if you own a car, you'd have to occasionally move that(if you park on the street) for street sweeping.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:27 PM

9,115 posts, read 6,160,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainsley1999 View Post
Lived in three continents 4 countries and bicoastal, I am quite blasé and unfazed by moving. I love moving.

The Buzzfeed quotes sound like a recent college graduate who never leaves their hometown. You have to “drive everywhere”? Americans complaining about having to drive is like the French complaining having to eat cheese. It may not be the healthiest thing, but it’s a part of your cultural DNA.

No culture shock for me, but more or less if I’m going to get bored.

You've never lived in NYC have you? Many, many people do not own cars nor do they drive. One of the many advantages of the city, particularly for the elders.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:32 PM

6,787 posts, read 4,227,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
You've never lived in NYC have you? Many, many people do not own cars nor do they drive. One of the many advantages of the city, particularly for the elders.

For most people that's a negative, not an advantage.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:39 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
80% of the time, it's an advantage.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:41 PM

1,034 posts, read 562,799 times
Quote:
I lived in SoHo/Nolita Manhattan from 1994-2009. Married in Manhattan, daughter was born in Mount Sinai.

I can probably still draw Downtown Manhattan map better than anyone else.

I was being tongue-in-cheek with the Buzzfeed quotes.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:50 PM

12,822 posts, read 9,536,731 times
Quote:
Texans love their cars. Part of their identity and I don't blame them. Some great cars out there.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:37 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,088,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadnerb View Post
I live in the PNW and almost everyone I know here asks guests to take their shoes off. I don’t understand why anyone would wear outside shoes in their house. I would assume this is common elsewhere in the country?
Uh, no? We take our shoes off at the door in the Upper Midwest, too. Wearing shoes in the home is filthy and bizarre.

Old 06-23-2023, 10:52 AM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
It was quite a culture shock to move from the Midwest to the south. The Midwest has an easy pace to it, but the south is even slooooower.

Old 06-23-2023, 12:32 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,291,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veritas Vincit View Post
That's because of design. Talk to the people who can't afford a car. A surprisingly high amount of the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City