Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-20-2023, 07:34 AM

6,639 posts, read 4,568,287 times

Advertisements

i dont get the premise of this thred. n.y.c. is the grandest city in the world.
but for e.g. boston tops it in education, medicine, sports, history, ...
?
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 12:05 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i dont get the premise of this thred. n.y.c. is the grandest city in the world.
but for e.g. boston tops it in education, medicine, sports, history, ...
?
What follows "but" in your post distills the topic of this thread.

New York is the grandest city in the world, but the premise of this thread is that even so, there are other places along the Northeast Corridor that outrank it in certain areas.

Old 08-20-2023, 06:56 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
No, remember its not about which "city outranks other cities in certain areas" but whether New York lacks something other Acela cities have. Which is why I am not sure how the conversation turned to pizza and bagels!

But there are actually very few things that other "Acela" (Northeast Amtrak corridor) cities have that New York lacks. Someone mentioned a good one - a covered bridge for Philadelphia. I cannot think of one in NYC (but we do have one in Suffolk lol). Other than that, the few things that New York lacks might be some major Federal government buildings like the Capital Building and the White House in DC.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:23 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
No, remember its not about which "city outranks other cities in certain areas" but whether New York lacks something other Acela cities have. Which is why I am not sure how the conversation turned to pizza and bagels!

But there are actually very few things that other "Acela" (Northeast Amtrak corridor) cities have that New York lacks. Someone mentioned a good one - a covered bridge for Philadelphia. I cannot think of one in NYC (but we do have one in Suffolk lol). Other than that, the few things that New York lacks might be some major Federal government buildings like the Capital Building and the White House in DC.
Love your posts, but this is the typical NY’r response haha

Old 08-20-2023, 07:28 PM

21,616 posts, read 31,186,278 times
Quote:

I agree with this very much. I can’t think of anything NYC doesn’t have that other northeastern cities have.

Old 08-20-2023, 07:59 PM

2,234 posts, read 1,116,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree with this very much. I can’t think of anything NYC doesn’t have that other northeastern cities have.
Philadelphia, DC, and Baltimore have HBCUs, but NYC does not.

Someone else pointed out that Baltimore and Philly are the only NFL teams with a stadium located within city limits.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:29 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

Someone else pointed out that Baltimore and Philly are the only NFL teams with a stadium located within city limits.
Don't forget Walmart.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:30 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshbyQuin View Post

Au contraire, CUNY-Medgar Evers in Brooklyn is a HBCU.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:35 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Au contraire, CUNY-Medgar Evers in Brooklyn is a HBCU.
CUNY-Medgar Evers is not considered an HBCU by the US Board of Education.

Only Baltimore & DC have HBCU's inside their city limits.

Old 08-20-2023, 08:38 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times
Quote:

Well no place in America has the White House besides DC lol But NY has federal buildings like the US District Court for the Southern District of New York. The location of some of the most famous/infamous criminal cases in this country like Imelda Marcos, Trump, El Chapo, Martha Stewart, Deflategate/Tom Brady (I **** you not) and many, many more over the years. If a case makes its way to "The Southern District" you know it's got to be either super serious or a major big name on the world stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City