Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2023, 03:45 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
I lived in Westwood, MA and loved Blue Hills - the nature park! We used to watch the cute otters swim around! My kids and their friends hunted for arrowheads on the beach of the lake too.

When I lived in Westchester NY, we skied at Thunder Ridge. It's pretty much Blue Hills (without a nature preserve) and was as close to our house as Blue Hills.

What NYC really has over any city in America is music! It has the Metropolitan Opera - no other US city competes. It's on a level of the major opera houses of Europe.

NYC has the Balanchine Ballet - New York City Ballet Company and the Martha Graham Ballet company - no other US city competes.

Because NYC has more music schools, there are more artists and more concerts. Some concerts are at big venues like Carnegie Hall, but many concerts are smaller - given in churches, colleges, museums, etc.

All these artists, musicians and set designers helps make the Broadway's theater distinct is so special.

NYC has more museums and visual artists than any US city. Boston's MFA and Science Museum are pretty small in comparison to the Metropolitan Museum of Art and the Natural History Museum. DC's free museums are paid for by the federal government. They are nice, but still not as physical large or extensive Metropolitan Museum of Art's collection. Same for Pittsburgh's Carnegie Museums - nice but smaller. Still, I enjoyed Pittsburgh's Carnegie bird exhibitions. Besides the museums, private art galleries and auction houses are numerous in NYC. Galleries help create artists' communitieswhich draws them into NYC.

As for immigrant foods:

Hands down, Pittsburgh is my favorite city for immigrant food!

DC has great immigrant food, but it's pricey. I went to a DC Balkan restaurant and left with a $100 per person bill (two drinks and a tip). Too much money!

NYC is my favorite city for European food.

In Virginia:

Virginia and Texas are tied for the best bbq. Maybe Austin, Texas's bbq is slightly better.

Tidewater Virginia has a transplanted Brooklyn pizzeria! Good pizza! Good Italian rice balls!

However, bagels, just forget about it. NYC's bagels beat all others. As a matter of fact, all my NY friends down here order their bagels from NYC. Pastrami - same thing - Katz or Zabar's deliveries. There deliveries work, but it's not the same eating a fresh bagel still warm from the oven.

Oddly enough, it's just not bagels. NYC's bread is so much better than anywhere else. NYC has semolina and fantastic rye breads not found elsewhere.

For Italian sausage, semolina bread, aged provolone and other Italian specialities. I used to drive to Wellesley, MA or into Boston's North End for it. In Pittsburgh, I go to the Strip. It's harder to find in DC. In Virginia, it's a lost clause. I order it all online from either the Penn Mac or Staten Island deli's. I order my Italian desserts from NYC - Tidewater Virginia has crappy bakeries.

The best Chinese food was in Blue Orchard restaurant in Westwood. Only NYC's Chinatown has Chinese food that good. There is no decent Chinese food in Tidewater Virginia. It's my first choice for DC dining.

Lobsters - nothing beats Boston's lobsters! A lobster roll from Cape Cod is so perfect - I only dream about it now! Cape Cod has the prettiest beaches on the entire eastern seaboard too. The tide is considerably stronger on the NYC coastline.
Los Angeles actually has the most museums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2023, 03:57 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
Speaking of Museums the most obvious answer is NYC has no answer to the Smithsonian. Far and away the best collection of museums in the world.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:12 PM

1,031 posts, read 561,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Speaking of Museums the most obvious answer is NYC has no answer to the Smithsonian. Far and away the best collection of museums in the world.
But there are 2 of Smithsonian in NYC.

Old 08-17-2023, 04:23 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Los Angeles actually has the most museums.
What are you basing this on? LACMA would be a below average art museum in New York and while the Getty is nice it's more known for its architecture than its collection. Even if you're just adding up all the venues that has the name 'museum' in it I doubt LA will come out on top.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:11 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Because it’s not a separate dish. It’s just called like a shawarma bowl or whatever. And it has the same rice, chicken small salad and functionally identical white sauce (which I linked the recipe, the “White sauce” is actually tzatziki sauce). The difference between Halal plates seems significantly larger than the difference between the Halal play and Shawarma Kebab dinners served literally everywhere else in the country.

It’s the atmosphere that’s different a cart not a small little sub shop kinda place. Like the age old bodega vs corner store thing. The fundamental difference between like a Cumberland farms and a bodega is vibes not content.

Chicken kebab subs have toppings as well as a different marinade than spiedies. And the difference between Chicken Kebab subs is smaller than that is between Chicken kebab subs and other sandwiches which makes it distinct

It's not the same rice though nor is it tzatziki sauce though there are variations of them. There are plenty of Greek restaurants in NYC that have rice plates and that use tzatziki sauce, but neither that rice nor that sauce is what's generally used in halal plates. Mayonnaise and yogurt are actually different things. Neither cucumbers nor garlic are a part of it. That's kind of a problem for your argument isn't it? What halal plate served literally everywhere else in the country? Isn't this just as disqualifying for the chicken kebab sub if there are also restaurants with chicken kebab meat in sandwiches? How does a sauce that has multiple differences not qualify because tzatziki exists, but a different marinade is enough? How does the dismissal of one track with dismissal of the other? I would understand this better if you actually had some consistency in what qualifies and what doesn't.

Old 08-17-2023, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
It's not the same rice though nor is it tzatziki sauce though there are variations of them. There are plenty of Greek restaurants in NYC that have rice plates and that use tzatziki sauce, but neither that rice nor that sauce is what's generally used in halal plates. Mayonnaise and yogurt are actually different things. Neither cucumbers nor garlic are a part of it. That's kind of a problem for your argument isn't it? What halal plate served literally everywhere else in the country? Isn't this just as disqualifying for the chicken kebab sub if there are also restaurants with chicken kebab meat in sandwiches? How does a sauce that has multiple differences not qualify because tzatziki exists, but a different marinade is enough? How does the dismissal of one track with dismissal of the other? I would understand this better if you actually had some consistency in what qualifies and what doesn't.
What separates a halal plate from a Kebob or Shawarma dinner or whatever is effectively a spoonful of Mayo.

Hate to break it to you but they offer that sliced basminthi rice in those bowls at most Mediterranean places

The gap between a Chicken Kabob sub and a spiedie is like 50% of the ingredients. And that’s the closest thing I’ve seen. The similarities are broadly Mediterranean spiced chunks of chicken of roughly the same size.

That’s a big difference.

That’s like saying a gravy is fundamentally different if you use carrot sugar to sweeten it.

Last edited by btownboss4; 08-17-2023 at 05:45 PM..

Old 08-17-2023, 05:46 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Only millions of people the world over would disagree with you but otherwise you may be onto something.

I think you mean that New York has exported its local cuisine WAY better and on a much more institutionalized basis than any other east coast and American city. Philly has as well with the Cheesesteak and Pretzel and Tastycakes. Boston has with seafood. Those other garbage foods you mention, well that's kinda the reason they never took off lol

And of course these local cuisines are still here in NY and not going anywhere in this lifetime.

The reason those foods you mentioned in Boston no one has heard of? Because no one else wants to hear of them. They aren't the type of things that scale the way New York bagels, pizza, and delis have since, well, forever. They actually have to taste good by the average person for them to want to be replicated. People don't replicate crap unless they want to fail at life.
Tbf everyone knows what canned bread is because spongebob lol

But also I feel that New York, and everything in New York now that I spend 12+ hours a day all over the city, is hyper-capitalized on. In New England, things are way more local. Its just a difference in region. Its like comparing Dublin and London.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:26 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,954,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
What are you basing this on? LACMA would be a below average art museum in New York and while the Getty is nice it's more known for its architecture than its collection. Even if you're just adding up all the venues that has the name 'museum' in it I doubt LA will come out on top.
I'm basing it on the number of museums.

Old 08-17-2023, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Only millions of people the world over would disagree with you but otherwise you may be onto something.

I think you mean that New York has exported its local cuisine WAY better and on a much more institutionalized basis than any other east coast and American city. Philly has as well with the Cheesesteak and Pretzel and Tastycakes. Boston has with seafood. Those other garbage foods you mention, well that's kinda the reason they never took off lol

And of course these local cuisines are still here in NY and not going anywhere in this lifetime.

The reason those foods you mentioned in Boston no one has heard of? Because no one else wants to hear of them. They aren't the type of things that scale the way New York bagels, pizza, and delis have since, well, forever. They actually have to taste good by the average person for them to want to be replicated. People don't replicate crap unless they want to fail at life.
Everything about New York goes thru a sort of “Ball dropification” process where many city in the world tried to imitate it. Like Philly has the Mummers Parade, Boston has first night but like dozens of cities have some imitation of the Ball Drop, that’s happens with NYC slang, NYC food, NYC Events etc.

The only thing is it’s more because if it’s size than despite its size. However it is because of its size and influence not its overall quality.

Old 08-17-2023, 08:40 PM

2,848 posts, read 2,166,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
I'm basing it on the number of museums.
Whoever came up with this must have played with the definition of museums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City