Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2023, 08:42 PM

1,676 posts, read 1,080,928 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
CUNY-Medgar Evers is not considered an HBCU by the US Board of Education.

Only Baltimore & DC have HBCU's inside their city limits.
Hmm according to this link it is considered an HBCU by the US Dept of Education.

https://bestaccreditedcolleges.org/a...e-an-hbcu.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2023, 09:34 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,314,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post
Hmm according to this link it is considered an HBCU by the US Dept of Education.

Full list of HBCUs

https://sites.ed.gov/whhbcu/one-hund...-universities/

Unless it was recently added (it could very well have been) these two are the most up to date listings.

Old 08-21-2023, 06:14 AM

2,262 posts, read 2,396,802 times
This is an informative thread. The Acela corridor is one of those places you don't even realize how much history/information there is until you start digging into it.

Old 08-21-2023, 07:35 AM

7,321 posts, read 4,115,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i dont get the premise of this thred. n.y.c. is the grandest city in the world.
but for e.g. boston tops it in education, medicine, sports, history, ...
?
Sorry no! Boston tops it in arrogance.

Education? Just about EVERY stop on the Acela has its own ivy League university.

Okay you have MIT & Harvard. NY has Columbia University & Cornell. New Haven has Yale University. Providence has Brown University. Philadelphia has University of Pennsylvania. Princeton University in Princeton NJ and Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH are close to Amtrak's other lines.

In fact, I would add the College of William and Mary to the list. It's not an official ivy, but it was chartered in 1693 and Thomas Jefferson was its president. It's also on the Amtrak line.

Medicine? NYC & Philadelphia have top hospitals.

Sports? Baseball? Do you really want to go there?

History? Jamestown, VA was the first permanent English settlement in North America. It had THE first Thanksgiving. The Battle of Yorktown ended the US Revolutionary War. US history was made in D.C. and NYC became the commerce capital of the US - bypassing Boston.

Old 08-21-2023, 09:24 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
Sorry no! Boston tops it in arrogance.

Education? Just about EVERY stop on the Acela has its own ivy League university.

Okay you have MIT & Harvard. NY has Columbia University & Cornell. New Haven has Yale University. Providence has Brown University. Philadelphia has University of Pennsylvania. Princeton University in Princeton NJ and Dartmouth College in Hanover, NH are close to Amtrak's other lines.

In fact, I would add the College of William and Mary to the list. It's not an official ivy, but it was chartered in 1693 and Thomas Jefferson was its president. It's also on the Amtrak line.

Medicine? NYC & Philadelphia have top hospitals.

Sports? Baseball? Do you really want to go there?

History? Jamestown, VA was the first permanent English settlement in North America. It had THE first Thanksgiving. The Battle of Yorktown ended the US Revolutionary War. US history was made in D.C. and NYC became the commerce capital of the US - bypassing Boston.
I showed this to my friend from Princeton who went to Princeton, we both work together in Manhattan and his response was:

“Typical NY arrogance. Please stop associating NJ with NY (insert my real name). This is quite embarrassing” LMAO

I still cant get over that arrogance comment. The jokes really do write themselves haha. Love the dedication tho

Old 08-21-2023, 10:53 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Well, I guess arrogance is something you will find in all the big ACELA cities. Although it probably declines as you go down the line southward, especially toward Philadelphia and Baltimore. But in DC, I hear there is alot of hot air in Congress lol.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:55 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
I agree with this very much. I can’t think of anything NYC doesn’t have that other northeastern cities have.
I've already posted an example: entire blocks that consist entirely, or almost entirely, of Colonial or other pre-Civil War houses and structures, like this one in Society Hill, Philadelphia. The only other Northeast Corridor city that has these in any significant quantity is Boston, where Beacon Hill is full of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCity76 View Post

From the U.S. Department of Education site linked in response to this post:

Quote:
The Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, defines an HBCU as: “…any historically black college or university that was established prior to 1964, whose principal mission was, and is, the education of black Americans, and that is accredited by a nationally recognized accrediting agency or association determined by the Secretary [of Education] to be a reliable authority as to the quality of training offered or is, according to such an agency or association, making reasonable progress toward accreditation.”
(emphasis added)

Medgar Evers College was established in 1970. So while it's a BCU. it's not terribly H, nor would the Education Department consider it one, given that.

Old 08-21-2023, 11:11 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,238,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
I've already posted an example: entire blocks that consist entirely, or almost entirely, of Colonial or other pre-Civil War houses and structures, like this one in Society Hill, Philadelphia. The only other Northeast Corridor city that has these in any significant quantity is Boston, where Beacon Hill is full of them.

From the U.S. Department of Education site linked in response to this post:

(emphasis added)

Medgar Evers College was established in 1970. So while it's a BCU. it's not terribly H, nor would the Education Department consider it one, given that.
I am not sure about entire block of colonial buildings (extremely rare) but New York has entire blocks and even neighborhoods of buildings from before the Civil War. Especially in Brooklyn but scattered in the other boroughs, even Manhattan. I wish New York had something like Society Hill though.

Staten Island does have a cool place if you are a history buff - historic Richmond Town. Richmond Town is something like Staten Island's version of Colonial Williamsburgh with buildings from the 1600s to the 1800s. Staten Island is aka Richmond County NY btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_Richmond_Town
https://www.historicrichmondtown.org/

Old 08-21-2023, 12:27 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanley-88888888 View Post
i dont get the premise of this thred. n.y.c. is the grandest city in the world.
but for e.g. boston tops it in education, medicine, sports, history, ...
?
For English speakers, you could make a good argument for London over New York City in your global cities ranking.

On the Northeast Corridor, Boston is clearly a distant third behind NYC and DC. I think of it as “boutique world class”. Munich is similar. It’s only world class in narrow areas. With housing affordability, it would be tough to relocate to Boston now unless you have home equity in another high cost of living city.

Old 08-22-2023, 08:57 AM

32,087 posts, read 34,681,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I am not sure about entire block of colonial buildings (extremely rare) but New York has entire blocks and even neighborhoods of buildings from before the Civil War. Especially in Brooklyn but scattered in the other boroughs, even Manhattan. I wish New York had something like Society Hill though.

Staten Island does have a cool place if you are a history buff - historic Richmond Town. Richmond Town is something like Staten Island's version of Colonial Williamsburgh with buildings from the 1600s to the 1800s. Staten Island is aka Richmond County NY btw.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_Richmond_Town
https://www.historicrichmondtown.org/
This is correct. Many Brownstone Brooklyn blocks date back to the 1840s. There's been a fight to preserve the last of Walt Whitman's residences for years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City