Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2023, 12:42 PM

24,557 posts, read 18,235,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
1. Yep. But like i said, better in other metropolian areas.

2. Those seafood options sound great. But thats sound just for people making over 250,000. Doesnt sound very equitable to the average new yorker who doesnt make nearly as much to afford that, at Trump Tower. So you pretty much proved my point lol

3. Travel is easy, but again like other posters have said, its a bit if a hastle to get to the actual airport. No direct trains. Significantly essier in Philly, Boston and DC. Miles easier.
None of this makes any sense. Long Island and Northern Jersey Shore have excellent beaches with superb public transportation access. Trucks go daily from New Bedford to the Fulton Fish Market. The NYC fish markets and restaurants buy wholesale there. There’s some markup due to transportation and distribution costs but fresh seafood in New York is hardly only for the rich.

Logan Airport access is a total disaster. One of the tunnels is closed for two months so the Ted Williams plugs solid. The articulated bus pretending to be a subway called the Silver Line is completely non-deterministic. The Blue Line doesn’t go near anything.
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2023, 01:51 PM

14,012 posts, read 14,998,668 times
A distinct local beer.

Old 08-05-2023, 01:55 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
None of this makes any sense. Long Island and Northern Jersey Shore have excellent beaches with superb public transportation access. Trucks go daily from New Bedford to the Fulton Fish Market. The NYC fish markets and restaurants buy wholesale there. There’s some markup due to transportation and distribution costs but fresh seafood in New York is hardly only for the rich.

Logan Airport access is a total disaster. One of the tunnels is closed for two months so the Ted Williams plugs solid. The articulated bus pretending to be a subway called the Silver Line is completely non-deterministic. The Blue Line doesn’t go near anything.
I get what you are insinuating.

This/combination of your other posts sound very…. In a different tax bracket/unrelatable

However, the 15 minute jolt from Logan Airport to the North End via the Blue Line or 20 minutes to the Seaport via the Silver Line is extremely easy. And free. Im assuming you wouldn’t take this bus, but its there. And free. Philly and DC also have great terminalside rail. All three kill NYCs service from its two airports, and third in the MSA

Old 08-05-2023, 07:43 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
A distinct local beer.
What's Brooklyn Brewing, chopped liver?

If by "distinct" you mean it brews a lager you can distinguish from most of the others, well, Yuengling has that niche just about all to itself, so I wouldn't fault Brooklyn Lager for being more like so many other craft lagers. Or if you mean it brews something else that's not an IPA, well, I can't speak for that, as it's not widely available at local bars here in Philadelphia, which is probably the sudsiest city in the Northeast Corridor when it comes to the number of craft breweries and brewpubs operating.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
What's Brooklyn Brewing, chopped liver?

If by "distinct" you mean it brews a lager you can distinguish from most of the others, well, Yuengling has that niche just about all to itself, so I wouldn't fault Brooklyn Lager for being more like so many other craft lagers. Or if you mean it brews something else that's not an IPA, well, I can't speak for that, as it's not widely available at local bars here in Philadelphia, which is probably the sudsiest city in the Northeast Corridor when it comes to the number of craft breweries and brewpubs operating.
I mean more like that kind of random beer everyone in Town loves. Labatt in Buffalo, Sam Adams in Boston, Narragansett in providence etc. not necessarily the best beer but one that’s just super identifiable to the city.

But also New England is general at this point is Americas most prestigious Beer region but I’m not talking about fancy beers.

Old 08-05-2023, 07:56 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,929,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
I’d imagine that the sheer size of the greater New York area would give it a clear advantage over any other Acela corridor metro area when it comes to amenities and things to do, which got me thinking: What’s something that DC, Baltimore, Philly, Hartford, Providence, and Boston have that New York doesn’t have? It can be any advantage of living in one of the smaller northeastern metro areas has over living in New York, other than the obvious things like less traffic. For example, one thing I can think of is that DC has all the infrastructure centered around the federal government that every other place lacks. What are some other examples like this in the other major northeastern cities?
Other than the Theatres in Manhattan, I dont see what NYC has to offer Amtrak customers. Great Food can be found in all the NEC cities. Manhattan is just more walkable. But Philly and Boston are quite walkable too.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:08 PM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
I mean more like that kind of random beer everyone in Town loves. Labatt in Buffalo, Sam Adams in Boston, Narragansett in providence etc. not necessarily the best beer but one that’s just super identifiable to the city.

But also New England is general at this point is Americas most prestigious Beer region but I’m not talking about fancy beers.
Ah. Gotcha. Then Yuengling (brewed in Pottsville, Schuylkill County, at the oldest brewery in America), which I mentioned above, is indeed the Philadelphia analogue. (One thing I'm fond of saying is, "One of the joys of living in Eastern Pennsylvania is that the cheap beer everyone drinks tastes like beer.")

Did you know that it was a Philadelphia marketing agency (that has since gone into the spirits business exclusively) that brought Narragansett beer back from the dead? After reviving it, they then brought it back home by reopening its brewery in Rhode Island.

They may love Labatt in Buffalo, but it's a Canadian brew, so it doesn't really fall into your "distinctive local beer" bucket. The New York State brew that probably best fits your vision is Genessee, but it's brewed in Utica.

Old 08-05-2023, 08:16 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
Yes NYC has remnants, but Philly and Boston have whole neighborhoods consisting of colonial homes. There are a few scattered very old buildings in NYC but no designated historical district.
You don't know what you're talking about.

City has an eff ton of historical districts and landmarked properties. Good number dating prior to 1900's or even 1800's. In fact far as housing stock is concerned city has some of if not the oldest in United States.

Nose around this site and you'll find plenty of older buildings and historical districts: https://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com

Will give you far as Manhattan is concerned yes there was tons of redevelopment, but that is only natural given changes as time passed from 1600's through 1900's.

Manhattan is an island thus land limited. As advances in building technology and so forth rolled out in 1800's onwards old small buildings simply became outdated. If you want businesses to expand and commerce to grow there has to be place for that to happen. You also need places for people to live and so forth.

Once electricity arrived then subsequently various motors and other things that made skyscrapers or other tall buildings possible, that was all she wrote for certain areas of Manhattan once dominated by small one to three story properties.

As for rest it made no sense for very wealthy such as the Vanderbilts to hog up huge tracks of land for homes that only housed one family. In short order many such mansions were torn down and replaced by apartments or commercial buildings.

https://theweek.com/captured/601091/manhattan-1930s

https://www.geographicguide.com/unit...-manhattan.htm

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.c...-in-the-1830s/

Whole areas of Manhattan below mid-town such as Chelsea, West Village, Greenwich Village, Lower East Side, East Village, Tribeca, SoHo and yes even Financial District still have huge amounts of "historical" buildings. Many dating pre-1800's.

Old 08-05-2023, 09:28 PM

127 posts, read 70,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
You don't know what you're talking about.

City has an eff ton of historical districts and landmarked properties. Good number dating prior to 1900's or even 1800's. In fact far as housing stock is concerned city has some of if not the oldest in United States.

Nose around this site and you'll find plenty of older buildings and historical districts: https://daytoninmanhattan.blogspot.com

Will give you far as Manhattan is concerned yes there was tons of redevelopment, but that is only natural given changes as time passed from 1600's through 1900's.

Manhattan is an island thus land limited. As advances in building technology and so forth rolled out in 1800's onwards old small buildings simply became outdated. If you want businesses to expand and commerce to grow there has to be place for that to happen. You also need places for people to live and so forth.

Once electricity arrived then subsequently various motors and other things that made skyscrapers or other tall buildings possible, that was all she wrote for certain areas of Manhattan once dominated by small one to three story properties.

As for rest it made no sense for very wealthy such as the Vanderbilts to hog up huge tracks of land for homes that only housed one family. In short order many such mansions were torn down and replaced by apartments or commercial buildings.

https://theweek.com/captured/601091/manhattan-1930s

https://www.geographicguide.com/unit...-manhattan.htm

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.c...-in-the-1830s/

Whole areas of Manhattan below mid-town such as Chelsea, West Village, Greenwich Village, Lower East Side, East Village, Tribeca, SoHo and yes even Financial District still have huge amounts of "historical" buildings. Many dating pre-1800's.
Yes I know exactly darn well what I'm talking about, thank you. I mean what equivalent is there in New York city to Back Bay or Charlestown in Boston, or Georgetown in DC? These areas have a distinct colonial/revolutionary architectural design, no tall buildings, and cover a decent section of their city. Park Slope comes close, but it has more of a gilded age feel to it than a colonial feel.

Old 08-06-2023, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
Ah. Gotcha. Then Yuengling (brewed in Pottsville, Schuylkill County, at the oldest brewery in America), which I mentioned above, is indeed the Philadelphia analogue. (One thing I'm fond of saying is, "One of the joys of living in Eastern Pennsylvania is that the cheap beer everyone drinks tastes like beer.")

Did you know that it was a Philadelphia marketing agency (that has since gone into the spirits business exclusively) that brought Narragansett beer back from the dead? After reviving it, they then brought it back home by reopening its brewery in Rhode Island.

They may love Labatt in Buffalo, but it's a Canadian brew, so it doesn't really fall into your "distinctive local beer" bucket. The New York State brew that probably best fits your vision is Genessee, but it's brewed in Utica.
Labatt is actually brewed in Buffalo by the Genesee Co. as well as At Genesee HQ in Rochester.

I guess it’s less specific cause it’s almost made in London, ON

Genesee for Rochester is a better example I guess. It’s literally everywhere in Rochester and pretty sparse elsewhere
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City