Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2023, 07:33 AM

14,147 posts, read 9,043,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by btownboss4 View Post
Labatt is actually brewed in Buffalo by the Genesee Co. as well as At Genesee HQ in Rochester.

I guess it’s less specific cause it’s almost made in London, ON

Genesee for Rochester is a better example I guess. It’s literally everywhere in Rochester and pretty sparse elsewhere
Ah. This is like Guinness opening that brewery in Baltimore. That one does, however, produce a beer called "Baltimore Blonde" that has "Brewed in Baltimore" displayed prominently on the label — along with a Maryland-flag logo, of course. (Marylanders, like Chicagoans, display their best-in-the-nation flags [state and city divisions] on absolutely everything.)

But I see on the Labatt USA home page that the company is a sponsor of the Bills Mafia, and the US brewery is there, so I guess it counts.

Then I went up the corporate food chain and see that the parent of Labatt USA (which is independent of the Canadian brewer, which is owned by A-B InBev, parent of both Budweiser and Miller now) and Genessee Brewing is a company based in Costa Rica called FIFCO. Was pleased to read that the American subsidiary operates according to "triple bottom line" principles (good for the company, the community and the planet).
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2023, 08:05 AM

2,539 posts, read 2,860,388 times
Disc golf

Old 08-06-2023, 11:42 AM

254 posts, read 113,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Having large parts of Brooklyn's east river waterfront being accessible is a pretty recent affair (LIC as well), and it is nice. I think the problem with the Manhattan waterfront is that it gets cut off by the highways with the West Side Highway being a lot more permeable than FDR and Harlem River Drive. Philadelphia's not too great either with the highway cutting it off from the Delaware River.
Omg you’re being nit picky lol. I don’t think accessibility is an issue for anyone as the water fronts are heavily used. Majority Brooklyns waterfronts have always been accessible. What’s new is all the new amenities and how much they’ve built them up. Ive always be able to take the ferry’s along all the river fronts. Ive been here a very long time.

Last edited by BKafrican1; 08-06-2023 at 11:51 AM..

Old 08-06-2023, 04:00 PM

37,127 posts, read 39,349,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
Omg you’re being nit picky lol. I don’t think accessibility is an issue for anyone as the water fronts are heavily used. Majority Brooklyns waterfronts have always been accessible. What’s new is all the new amenities and how much they’ve built them up. Ive always be able to take the ferry’s along all the river fronts. Ive been here a very long time.
I'm not though. The waterfront is heavily used, but crossing over FDR sucks and WSH not so great. That should be fixed.

Majority Brooklyn waterfront having always been accessible is a really silly statement and crossing Shore Parkway right now still sucks. Things are better though as there have been a fairly large slate of waterfront park openings over the last decade and a half. I don't think it's likely that you lived here for a very long time and didn't realize that.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:19 AM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BKafrican1 View Post
Hes right though.

But the thread is what do other cities have than NYC doesnt. A more accessible waterfront in certain boroughs is definitely one. lol

Old 08-07-2023, 04:04 PM

5,462 posts, read 5,704,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketStEl View Post
New England clam chowder and Manhattan clam chowder are two entirely different stews. One is based on milk or cream, the other on tomatoes (I've called Manhattan clam chowder "minestrone with clams" on at least one occasion. That's not a totally accurate description of Manhattan clam chowder, as minestrone has pasta rather than potatoes in it, but it does have onions and celery, two things you will find in Manhattan but not New England clam chowder.)

Each variety has its partisans. But you aren't likely to run across the New England version in New York, and vice versa. I'm partial to New England clam chowder myself, but won't turn my nose up at the Manhattan variety.
The default clam chowder in NYC is the New England clam chowder, not Manhattan.
More places here serve the New England version.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Ive lived all pver the East Coast, so here is my take.

Things that you wouldn’t have as great access to living IN New York City

1. Access to Day Trips. Point blank. Boston, DC, Hartford, NJ, it is so easy to go for a hike. Or go to beach. Go somewhere cool. NYC has zconey Island, but going upstate or somewhere different on a whim is really hard. If you are in NYC, you are IN New York City.

2. Obvious one here, but Land. You can land and a form of quaintness living in other cities over NY. If you value any source of space, NYC may not provide that. Sure parts of Queens and Staten Island do.

3. Quaintness. In other parts of the Northeast you have the ability to go from city to quaintness relatively fast. Not so much in NYC.

4. This one is opinion but skyscrapers. I am a huge believer that skyscrapers take away from a city. I feel a lot of NYC is blah and other cities give me that original feel I don’t mind in swaths of NY.

5. Seafood. It’s definitely lacking.

6. Scenery. Obvious one. You can look at the Palisades and the Atlantic Ocean but a higher % of “could be” natural beauty is blocked off. Like the FDR around Manhattan.

7. Nightlife streets or districts. NYC is laid put like a fun bar/pub/club on a block… then the next block… then the next block. Whereas other cities usually have a defined agglomeration of clubs/bars and restaurants that make bar hopping easier.

8. Train to the airport. Directly. AirTrain doesnt count.
For someone who lives in Bergen county you have no idea about NYC. Other posters already responded, but a lot of your points are just factually incorrect. You are clearly not familiar with the city much, and this is not the first time I read your posts about NYC that are just plain wrong. Your posts sound like you've never been to most of NYC outside of Manhattan.

Old 08-07-2023, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
Yes I know exactly darn well what I'm talking about, thank you. I mean what equivalent is there in New York city to Back Bay or Charlestown in Boston, or Georgetown in DC? These areas have a distinct colonial/revolutionary architectural design, no tall buildings, and cover a decent section of their city. Park Slope comes close, but it has more of a gilded age feel to it than a colonial feel.
I prefer Brooklyn heights to Park Slope.

Old 08-07-2023, 06:54 PM

12,157 posts, read 7,980,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
For someone who lives in Bergen county you have no idea about NYC. Other posters already responded, but a lot of your points are just factually incorrect. You are clearly not familiar with the city much, and this is not the first time I read your posts about NYC that are just plain wrong. Your posts sound like you've never been to most of NYC outside of Manhattan.
I don't work in Manhattan, I work in the outer boroughs.

Separate facts from feelings. Most who responded agreed with most/all points.

Old 08-08-2023, 07:50 AM

31,897 posts, read 26,938,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odieluck View Post
Yes I know exactly darn well what I'm talking about, thank you. I mean what equivalent is there in New York city to Back Bay or Charlestown in Boston, or Georgetown in DC? These areas have a distinct colonial/revolutionary architectural design, no tall buildings, and cover a decent section of their city. Park Slope comes close, but it has more of a gilded age feel to it than a colonial feel.
Greenwich Village

West Village

Chelsea

Areas of Upper Westside, Harlem, Morningside Heights and Inwood

Brooklyn Heights

Clinton Hill

Bedford Stuyvesant

Fort Greene

Park Slope

Carroll Gardens...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City