Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which city needs the most new buildings to its skyline?
Phoenix 44 36.36%
Dallas 14 11.57%
LA 12 9.92%
Boston 13 10.74%
Detroit 10 8.26%
St. Louis 28 23.14%
Voters: 121. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2023, 05:20 PM

2,223 posts, read 1,394,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Just shows skyscrapers dont mean much. Charlotte and Austin both have more skyscrapers, but Baltimore and Boston look far more denser and city like even with much less skyscrapers.

DC has no skyscrapers and is one of the best urban experiences in the country. Meanwhile cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. are decked with skyscrapers and the urban experience is poor.
Boston is in a different weight class than these sun belt cities so I don't understand the comparison there.

With Baltimore, it's very opposite of Austin. I find that Austin is much less "built up". There are many more trees, setbacks, front and back yards, greenbelts, patios, swimming pools, etc. However, any place that you go is very congested and busy. Baltimore has a lot more concrete with wall-to-wall multi-story rowhouse structures that come right up to the street. However, everywhere that I went seemed dead and sleepy in comparison to the equivalent place in Austin. I suspect people in Baltimore stick to their neighborhood more whereas in Austin it's more normalized to travel to particular areas that function as gathering points

I will say, that picture angle is not really fair to Austin because most of the picture is residential neighborhoods south of the river. Austin is more built up to the North where the university and state capital are.

Last edited by whereiend; 08-10-2023 at 05:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2023, 05:59 PM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
Boston is in a different weight class than these sun belt cities so I don't understand the comparison there.
It was included as more of visual context and a counter argument to saying it "needs" more skyscrapers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
With Baltimore, it's very opposite of Austin. I find that Austin is much less "built up". There are many more trees, setbacks, front and back yards, greenbelts, patios, swimming pools, etc. However, any place that you go is very congested and busy. Baltimore has a lot more concrete with wall-to-wall multi-story rowhouse structures that come right up to the street. However, everywhere that I went seemed dead and sleepy in comparison to the equivalent place in Austin. I suspect people in Baltimore stick to their neighborhood more whereas in Austin it's more normalized to travel to particular areas that function as gathering points

I will say, that picture angle is not really fair to Austin because most of the picture is residential neighborhoods south of the river. Austin is more built up to the North where the university and state capital are.
Here's Austin viewed from the same angle and distance as the original Baltimore POV

No here's that same angle of Austin & Baltimore, but zoomed out to 6km

Google Earth loses fine resolution/detail at this distance so smaller SFH/row-homes are lost in the render but it has enough detail to get pretty clear understanding in the difference in urban breadth and verticality of each city.

Regarding Baltimore's relative sleepiness, thats exactly the reason. The city is very segregated demographically and people tend to stick to where they know where as Austin's population is way more geographically fluid in where they work/play/live at.

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-10-2023 at 06:07 PM..

Old 08-10-2023, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
It was included as more of visual context and a counter argument to saying it ”needs” more skyscrapers.

Here's Austin viewed from the same angle and distance as the original Baltimore POV

No here's that same angle of Austin & Baltimore, but zoomed out to 6km

Google Earth loses fine resolution/detail at this distance so smaller SFH/row-homes are lost in the render but it has enough detail to get pretty clear understanding in the difference in urban breadth and verticality of each city.

Regarding Baltimore's relative sleepiness, thats exactly the reason. The city is very segregated demographically and people tend to stick to where they know where as Austin's population is way more geographically fluid in where they work/play/live at.
Yeah I mean like I said, Baltimore has much more concrete. It's wall to wall rowhouses that come close to the street. The vast majority of Austin is zoned for SFH with front and back yards, setback requirements, and strict FAR limits. Density comes from apartment complexes that exist only on major corridors.

As far as downtown skyline Austin's is much taller and more expansive, certainly (and the gap is growing quickly).

Old 08-10-2023, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losfrisco View Post
I'm sure, as other posters have stated, the pace of skyscraper construction in Nashville is fast and furious.

After all, when you're packed in at nearly 1,400 ppsm density like Nashville, there's nowhere to build but up!
You are being sarcastic but I think this actually works backwards from the way you are thinking about it.

I'm not sure about Nashville exactly (though I imagine it's a similar dynamic), but in Austin the vast majority the city is low density. This isn't purely because the market decided upon that level of density, there is strict zoning and significant politics impeding higher density development in most of the city. The downtown area represents one of only handful of places that offer an approximation of an urban lifestyle the only place with no building height limits, and hence there is significant demand to build tall in that geographically small area. In a city with more urban layout and relaxed zoning that demand would probably get dispersed more over a larger area.

Old 08-11-2023, 01:51 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Just shows skyscrapers dont mean much. Charlotte and Austin both have more skyscrapers, but Baltimore and Boston look far more denser and city like even with much less skyscrapers.

DC has no skyscrapers and is one of the best urban experiences in the country. Meanwhile cities like Charlotte, Atlanta, Dallas, etc. are decked with skyscrapers and the urban experience is poor.
Dallas is trying to infill basically what was destroyed decades ago. Much of what was demolished for towers in the 80s boom never got built after the 80s crash. All the regional banks that were HQ'd in Downtown that fueled the growth and built the skyscrapers failed. It left downtown in a comatose state until the 2000s. Uptown was largely vacant in the 80s/90s and was the largest area of vacant land next to a major downtown. Uptown now is built out and we're only seeing infill development there. As a result, Uptown is more vibrant than Downtown. Downtown has lagged with new construction due to it being worse off at the time. But things are changing regarding that aspect as well.

Though it is not very tall, it is increasing the skyline density

From late last year or early 2023

4 high-rise infill sites from above with colored dots

May 2023 (excuse the dirty windshield lol). 3 high-rise infill projects except for the blue dot below

Last edited by Dallaz; 08-11-2023 at 02:10 AM..

Old 08-11-2023, 09:22 AM

8,856 posts, read 6,851,017 times
Going below-grade is a promising sign...shifting away from parking podiums? Hopefully also cutting the tenant/spaces ratio, though that's one huge excavation.

Old 08-11-2023, 09:34 AM

3,525 posts, read 2,317,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Dallas is trying to infill basically what was destroyed decades ago. Much of what was demolished for towers in the 80s boom never got built after the 80s crash. All the regional banks that were HQ'd in Downtown that fueled the growth and built the skyscrapers failed. It left downtown in a comatose state until the 2000s. Uptown was largely vacant in the 80s/90s and was the largest area of vacant land next to a major downtown. Uptown now is built out and we're only seeing infill development there. As a result, Uptown is more vibrant than Downtown. Downtown has lagged with new construction due to it being worse off at the time. But things are changing regarding that aspect as well.
My mom lives in Uptown Dallas and she said they break ground on a new building like every other month

Last edited by Joakim3; 08-11-2023 at 10:02 AM..

Old 08-11-2023, 09:42 AM

1,676 posts, read 1,082,995 times
Big D building away. Looks quintessentially Texas.

Old 08-11-2023, 11:16 AM

6,693 posts, read 9,939,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Going below-grade is a promising sign...shifting away from parking podiums? Hopefully also cutting the tenant/spaces ratio, though that's one huge excavation.
Yes, I believe so. Other planned developments are doing the same. The excavation is massive though. Both towers will have an underground parking garage. One is an office building at 399 ft (which was cut down from 425 ft) and the other is a residential tower at 372 ft. This is from last year regarding the design of the new towers

More than $500 million in buildings going up along Uptown Dallas’ Maple Avenue

Quote:
“As to Maple Avenue, in a word: Wow,” said Robert Young, executive managing director with real estate firm Weitzman, which has had its offices on Maple for more than 30 years. “The major projects and major tenant activity on Maple further remind us — at least me — of a Midtown Manhattan explosion of density and activity.”

“Maple Avenue has become a unique gateway between Turtle Creek and Uptown,” Hines’ senior managing director Ben Brewer said. “With all the new mixed-use developments in north Uptown, there has been a significant focus on great architecture and the pedestrian experience, including wider sidewalks, intriguing open space and thoughtful design for efficient vehicle navigation.

“These improvements will allow residents, retail users and the office community to enjoy this corridor for years to come and help make Dallas a national hotspot for urban development.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joakim3 View Post
My mom lives in Uptown Dallas and she said they break ground on a new building like every other month
It would be even more if all the planned projects would get started. For example: I can think of 3 towers that are planned to go up on McKinney Ave south of Oak Grove Ave.

Last edited by Dallaz; 08-11-2023 at 11:49 AM.. Reason: Typo/ better link

Old 08-11-2023, 11:40 AM

10,055 posts, read 14,425,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QC Dreaming 2 View Post
You guys do realize that Charlotte has 10 buildings under construction over 300 ft. 2 of them aren't even listed on Wikipedia. Also when referring to skylines it's not just about the amount of skyscrapers scattered throughout the city it is also about the GROUPING of the buildings and honestly when combining Uptown with SouthEnd the height along with the amount of buildings TOGETHER is unmatched by those two as of yet...
This is true, yeah.

Charlotte is also building skyscrapers over 300 feet. They are just about at, or slightly below, Nashville's pace of construction.

Charlotte and Nashville will most likely be neck and neck with total skyscraper count over 300 feet in the next few years.

I think by 2030, Nashville may come out with a few on top, since their pipeline looks larger than Charlotte's at the moment.

But both cities are growing by leaps and bounds with skyscraper construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City