Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2023, 06:09 PM

1,424 posts, read 1,281,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifat View Post
You work outside during thunderstorms? That sounds like a terrible idea.
It's so electrifying, it keeps you on your toes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2023, 06:13 PM

579 posts, read 432,387 times
I lived in Seattle and Tampa Bay area. I didn't love the weather in either, but I'd prefer the overall temps of the NW. Just looking at the rain - idk. Where I lived in FL, there were frequently heavy afternoon storms, for what I feel were several of the months I was there. It was impractical to plan all-day or afternoon activities outside. And the air was steamy and gross afterwards. You can do most things in cool drizzle though, and people in Seattle do. I got used to it.

Many prefer to deal with the storms and have more sun the rest of the time. The grey gets to people more than the drizzle.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:18 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,747,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by surferdude7 View Post
.. What's more annoying?
Neither one. I like "rainy" climates. The heat in Mobile would annoy me, however.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:34 PM

1,320 posts, read 865,470 times
If we’re just talking urban areas, then imo the Southeast is worse because you have to deal with things like lightning, high winds, and flash floods which are not really common in Seattle or Portland.

Old 09-21-2023, 06:39 PM

858 posts, read 585,648 times
As someone living in the Southeast (Specifically Mobile) and currently in Alaska for work; Southern rain is much more intense than anything I’ve seen in the Pacific Northwest produce so far

However I still very much prefer Southern rain way more than Pacific Northwest rain. There’s literally no dynamic to PNW rain, it’s either a drizzle or light rain. In the Southeast it’s much more varied, from drizzle to rain to heavy shower to thunderstorms. I love rain but the multiple days in a row of non stop drizzling gets quite depressing real quick

Old 09-22-2023, 04:52 AM

12,824 posts, read 9,547,378 times
If the one rained harder it would be close to ideal. I can’t deal with the humidity after a rain storm in the southeast

Old 09-22-2023, 10:52 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,561,071 times
Pacific Northwest has an infinitely superior climate without the disgusting levels of heat and humidity along with a torrid sun angle that the Southeast has.

I'll take the dry rain shadow side of the rural Olympic Peninsula.

Towns included are Port Townsend, Sequim, and Port Angeles. They all average less than 25.00'' of precipitation a year.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:18 PM

985 posts, read 540,012 times
When basing my opinion soley on annoyance of rainfall I gotta say that the PNW is worse. The drizzle is no fun but the constant overcast would really bother me after a couple winters. Rainy winter days in the PNW are made worse IMO by the fact that it gets dark around 4:00pm and does not get light again until about 8:00am.

Old 09-22-2023, 02:41 PM

7,409 posts, read 6,545,347 times
90% plus of the rain, at least in SoFla, is in the form of passing rain/thunderstorms (30-40 minutes) before it clears up and becomes sunny again. Only rains all day or 2-3 days when there is a disturbance in the area. To correct one poster, humidity is lower after the rain—not higher…..6-8 months of gloomy, cloudy, rain/mist in the Northwest would depress me. In the meantime, there is a dry season in SoFla—from November through the end of May (7 months) it rains infrequently.

Above pertains to most of the time…on its worst days and during some King Tide situations, SoFla will experience street flooding in some areas (though water does recede on the same day—often within a few hours, even during an infrequent hurricane).

Last edited by elchevere; 09-22-2023 at 03:01 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City