Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2023, 02:05 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
One of my good friends stays on Doak. It is not that bad. He works as a bartender at the Grand Hyatt downtown. The neighborhood is largely working class and young families. Gentrification has impacted his area a few blocks over on County Hospital Road. The area is near Briley Parkway (Bordeaux). The Mud Island picture looks a little bit like West Haven in Franklin and Lenox Village in Nolensville. Both nice areas.
I figured that streetview for the Nashville neighborhood would be outdated at this point given the rapid pace of development in the city, but it still serves to point out how ridiculous the assertion I responded to was.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2023, 10:34 AM

160 posts, read 87,393 times
Memphis and Nashville come to mind, though there are obvious similarities as well.

Old 10-11-2023, 11:15 AM

6,375 posts, read 4,993,181 times
Tentative Vermont answer: Burlington/Rutland. Progressive college town (of a "public Ivy"), home to Bernie Sanders and Phish, vs. a city with only 31% bachelor's degree holders and not even a community college within the county's boundaries. Major Rutland employers include GE Aircraft Engines and Killington Pico Ski Resort Partners, so pretty blue-collar.

Old 10-12-2023, 08:22 AM

828 posts, read 648,216 times
Houston-Austin
Jacksonville-Miami
Nashville-Memphis
Los Angeles-San Francisco
St. Louis-Kansas City
New Orleans-Baton Rouge

Old 10-12-2023, 12:10 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDFan View Post
New Orleans-Baton Rouge
That one doesn't seem right.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:29 PM

4,621 posts, read 4,891,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Champ le monstre du lac View Post
Rhode Island - Pawtucket and Newport
I was thinking Central Falls or Woonsocket vs. Newport.

and

Monterrey vs Bakersfield, CA

Portland, OR vs. Medford

Winnemucca, NV vs Las Vegas

Kingston, ON vs Toronto (I've never been to Sudbury or Thunder Bay though)

Ann Arbor vs. Grand Rapids

Fort Kent, Maine vs. Kennebunkport. Fort Kent is one of the only Francophile US towns - French is the home language of 62% of the town.

Old 10-13-2023, 11:21 AM

6,545 posts, read 12,040,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
In my opinion, Miami and Jacksonville are the most opposites of 2 big cities within one state. Population density. Demographics. Economics. Tourism. I could go on. They are wildly different for being 2 large cities in the same state.
As someone who lived in the Jacksonville area and visited Miami plenty of times, I can concur. JAX is more culturally Southern and has been labeled "Georgia South" and not the "real Florida". Meanwhile there's nothing Southern about Miami. They do feel like two different worlds despite being only 300 miles apart.

Old 10-13-2023, 03:10 PM

541 posts, read 556,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEAandATL View Post
As someone who lived in the Jacksonville area and visited Miami plenty of times, I can concur. JAX is more culturally Southern and has been labeled "Georgia South" and not the "real Florida". Meanwhile there's nothing Southern about Miami. They do feel like two different worlds despite being only 300 miles apart.
Agree with the sentiment, but 300 miles (more 340) is pretty far apart. It's further than Montgomery is to Nashville (or the longer San Antonio to Dallas).

Old 10-14-2023, 04:50 AM

325 posts, read 204,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
It's crazy Nashville and Memphis used to be talked about in the same tiers 15-20 years ago. Now Nashville is on its way to Atlanta status. Massive corporate relocation magnet and is a big professional sport league magnet. Kind of crazy a metro of only 2 million has NFL, NHL, MLS, and is the #1 pick for MLB expansion next year. Literally the only major sport nashville is missing is NBA, and with how Memphis is declining, I wouldn't be surprised if they moved to Nashville, making Nashville have all 5 major sports.

Nashville's worst areas looks like Memphis' bests.
Kind of a wild take lol. If Nashville's worst areas look like this, sign me up.

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1167...8192?entry=ttu
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1155...8192?entry=ttu

Old 10-14-2023, 05:05 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,033,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'd say Huntsville and any of the other three, especially Mobile or Montgomery.

I'd say Huntsville and Birmingham are of one thing, Mobile and Montgomery are of another.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City