Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2023, 12:01 PM

3,715 posts, read 3,696,275 times

Advertisements

Atlanta and Savannah.

Savannah is southern, European, artsy, service economy based with history dating back to the early 1700s.

Atlanta is F500 based, certainly southern but heavily influenced by NE transplants. and due to Sherman's march, doesn't have the retained history and architecture commonly associated with the original 13 colonies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2023, 12:26 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
I was 21 when I moved to Elmira, New York. Spent some time in what they call the ”Twin Tiers” region, between Elmira and Williamsport PA...

The first time I saw a Confederate flags there I wasn't ”shocked”. The surprise factor was in how many you wind up seeing; obviously they aren't everywhere or on everybody...

But it was not at all uncommon, to see the emblem on someone's vehicle, or emblazoned on someone's shirt or hat, or seeing the actual flag on someone's porch or yard. Like, it defied logic for me at the time, that there were more than a few people around PA and NY, that were voluntarily supporting the symbolism behind that flag...

I think the biggest difference between Northern anti-blacks and Southern ones, I don't recall ever hearing the smokescreen ”well its part of my heritage” **** southern whites throw out there lol. Living up north just proved to me that people can be racist anywhere, and display their racism in a variety of ways; people anywhere know what that flag symbolizes...

Down south you either hear the ”I'm not racist, its my heritage” stuff or they are blatantly racist with the flag. Up north, blatant racists don't hide behind the flag and I never saw any racist use the flag as a shield, but the amount of people you see who rep the flag, is just more than you'd expect...

There are plenty of places in the South where you don't see nearly as many Confederate flags as I saw in NY and PA, and in more populated areas too. I've certainly met and heard of blatant racists here in Raleigh---->a couple months ago I was in traffic behind a truck with like 5 of those emblems on it lmao, and it was the first time I could remember seeing a public display of it here in Raleigh...

I've been here 4½ years, I definitely saw more "southern pride" flags up north than in the city of Raleigh...

Old 10-04-2023, 04:21 PM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
West Virginia: Huntington/Martinsburg

North Dakota: maybe Fargo/Williston? (a more urban diversified economy vs. an oil boom/bust town)

Ohio: my vote would be Portsmouth/Dublin

Old 10-04-2023, 05:48 PM

9,859 posts, read 6,574,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whereiend View Post
The population is pretty different between these two, but they have the same otherwise unique geography and climate, and while the local cultures have some key differences they also have a lot of overlap. Overall, there are some interesting differences between the two but "opposites" feels like a stretch. I would say of the Texas Triangle Houston is the one most different than Austin, though still not really an opposite.

Beaumont - El Paso, now those are more opposite.
To be fair, “opposites” would be a stretch ni matter what 2 major cities you compare in the same state.

Old 10-04-2023, 07:40 PM

3,883 posts, read 2,194,795 times
For Kansas Topeka and Lawrence seem like a good example.

Old 10-04-2023, 10:39 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
As someone mentioned upthread, definitely Nashville and Memphis.

Both cities are linked in together with their legendary musical histories and attractions, and both cities have been/and are Tennessee's largest. But the similarities mostly stop there.

Nashville's economy, building boom development, population and future are red hot and super bright. Memphis has sort of sunk back into a high crime city, with stalled and dead developments, a slow economy and a questionable future.

Another state with opposite cities would be here in New York, with the slower development, rust belt cities of Rochester and Buffalo (and Syracuse and Albany to a lesser extent), compared to the gigantic global powerhouse of New York City. But they are also sort of apples and oranges.

Missouri might get an honorable mention, with Kansas City and St Louis. St Louis has suffered its population plummet and urban decay, whereas Kansas City has held up relatively well and is growing better.
I agree. These are all good examples of what happens when one area receives investment and the other is left to fight for itself. Crime, run down areas, gangs, and blight plague more stagnant cities. I think Nashville will separate itself even more from Memphis in this regard. Nashville is booming and I'm here for it.

Old 10-05-2023, 12:27 AM

1,037 posts, read 679,853 times
Boston and Pittsfield.

Old 10-05-2023, 02:04 AM

6,374 posts, read 4,989,995 times
Illinois has gotten a few solid answers already, but I'll add that when I saw the news a few years ago that Naperville had passed Rockford in population, I was struck by how the two cities represent such opposite aspects of the state.

Old 10-05-2023, 07:59 AM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakeesha View Post
I agree. These are all good examples of what happens when one area receives investment and the other is left to fight for itself. Crime, run down areas, gangs, and blight plague more stagnant cities. I think Nashville will separate itself even more from Memphis in this regard. Nashville is booming and I'm here for it.
Nashville's rough areas are Memphis-esque, they just aren't as widespread across the city because of the investment you mentioned. Plenty of gangs and blight in Nashville, there's another similarity...

Old 10-05-2023, 09:06 AM

12,822 posts, read 9,541,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I was 21 when I moved to Elmira, New York. Spent some time in what they call the ”Twin Tiers” region, between Elmira and Williamsport PA...

The first time I saw a Confederate flags there I wasn't ”shocked”. The surprise factor was in how many you wind up seeing; obviously they aren't everywhere or on everybody...

But it was not at all uncommon, to see the emblem on someone's vehicle, or emblazoned on someone's shirt or hat, or seeing the actual flag on someone's porch or yard. Like, it defied logic for me at the time, that there were more than a few people around PA and NY, that were voluntarily supporting the symbolism behind that flag...

I think the biggest difference between Northern anti-blacks and Southern ones, I don't recall ever hearing the smokescreen ”well its part of my heritage” **** southern whites throw out there lol. Living up north just proved to me that people can be racist anywhere, and display their racism in a variety of ways; people anywhere know what that flag symbolizes...

Down south you either hear the ”I'm not racist, its my heritage” stuff or they are blatantly racist with the flag. Up north, blatant racists don't hide behind the flag and I never saw any racist use the flag as a shield, but the amount of people you see who rep the flag, is just more than you'd expect...

There are plenty of places in the South where you don't see nearly as many Confederate flags as I saw in NY and PA, and in more populated areas too. I've certainly met and heard of blatant racists here in Raleigh---->a couple months ago I was in traffic behind a truck with like 5 of those emblems on it lmao, and it was the first time I could remember seeing a public display of it here in Raleigh...

I've been here 4½ years, I definitely saw more "southern pride" flags up north than in the city of Raleigh...
Eye opening and shocking. And disappointing. And disgusting. Even when I lived in Texas it was rare to see a confederate flag. Saw none in dc, denver and Seattle. And oc. None
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City