Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2023, 05:44 PM

2,235 posts, read 1,117,427 times

Advertisements

I'll do places close to each other

NJ
(The) Cape May's and Atlantic City

PA
Chester and Wayne

MD
Dundalk and Randallstown
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2023, 07:01 PM

232 posts, read 189,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Expert View Post
Disagree on all of them. The first two aren’t that different. Asheville and Wilmington are better for NC.
That's your opinion but I am from RI originally, and lived in both for a long time so I know the differences and what RI's believe; that there is a BIG difference between the two cities.

IMO, like coastal and touristy Newport vs very industrial PVD, coastal, colonial Charleston is very different from mountainous and forested and landlocked, Greenville.

You might have me on the Asheville comparison but I still think CLT and WLM are very different as well.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:05 PM

93,232 posts, read 123,842,121 times
For MA, Boston and Pittsfield

For VT, Burlington and Newport

For MS, Jackson and Oxford.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:24 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggplicks View Post
Nashville and Memphis are the epitome of this.
Polar opposites

Old 09-29-2023, 08:47 PM

5,819 posts, read 5,622,386 times
San Francisco and Los Angeles have noticeable contrasts but they aren't that much different from each other...

I also don't think Memphis and Nashville are "polar" opposites...

The only right answers to this thread are states in which two cities are in different regions. Having been in El Paso and DFW both within the last year, El Paso is maybe the most non-Texan city period compared to any other large Texas city. When I see people say "polar opposites" or things along those lines, I'm thinking of somewhere like El Paso compared to Dallas or Fort Worth. El Paso isn't even really close to being the same kinda place as other large Texas cities...

This dynamic doesn't exist like this in SF or LA, or in Memphis and Nashville. These cities are much more alike each other than El Paso is to aby big Texan city...

The only other place I'd say is "close" would be New York and Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse, but even then, the contrasts aren't as varied or as stark as El Paso to Big Texas. Those smaller Western NY cities are more similar to NYC than people perpetuate...

The real answer to this thread is that large cities within a state are generally more alike than not...

Old 09-29-2023, 08:53 PM

9,679 posts, read 9,380,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
San Francisco and Los Angeles have noticeable contrasts but they aren't that much different from each other...

I also don't think Memphis and Nashville are "polar" opposites...

The only right answers to this thread are states in which two cities are in different regions. Having been in El Paso and DFW both within the last year, El Paso is maybe the most non-Texan city period compared to any other large Texas city. When I see people say "polar opposites" or things along those lines, I'm thinking of somewhere like El Paso compared to Dallas or Fort Worth. El Paso isn't even really close to being the same kinda place as other large Texas cities...

This dynamic doesn't exist like this in SF or LA, or in Memphis and Nashville. These cities are much more alike each other than El Paso is to aby big Texan city...

The only other place I'd say is "close" would be New York and Buffalo/Rochester/Syracuse, but even then, the contrasts aren't as varied or as stark as El Paso to Big Texas. Those smaller Western NY cities are more similar to NYC than people perpetuate...

The real answer to this thread is that large cities within a state are generally more alike than not...

These are contradictory. Which statement is true?

Old 09-29-2023, 08:54 PM

441 posts, read 227,655 times
How are Nashville and Memphis not polar opposites? Memphis is a declining deep south city that is majority black. Nashville is a super hip trendy white city that is a tourist destination that has jobs flooding into it.

Old 09-29-2023, 08:59 PM

1,461 posts, read 2,956,513 times
All of SC. Greenville vs Charleston. Columbia vs Charleston and Greenville. Myrtle Beach vs. the rest.

Old 09-30-2023, 12:08 AM

7,708 posts, read 5,449,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borntoolate85 View Post
Kiluea Kona/Hilo
Do you mean Kailua-Kona vs. Hilo?

Old 09-30-2023, 12:16 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,709,693 times
Seattle and Spokane are different in just about every way. Politically, culturally, socially, in terms of physical terrain, weather, etc. LA and San Francisco are different as well, but not as different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City