Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2009, 03:13 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times

Advertisements

My husband was offered a transfer to Houston from the softwarwe house he worked at. My kids were little then. All the people who transfered there, about 10, told him not to take it. They said the schools were terrible, had to put their kids in private schools for a lot of money, and all in all, they ended up with less money than they had in NY. We turned down that transfer and never regretted it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2009, 10:16 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times
My parents live in a wealthy area of Florida. Even in that area, my parents say many of the people lack any cultural experiences and don't have anything intelligent to discuss. My dad has been all over the world in his line of work, and says NYers are some of the best people to have discussions with. Can't talk about the recent art at the Guggenheim, critiquing the latest broadway plays, etc with anyone else outside of NY. So yes, there are things in metro NYC you can't get anywhere else; at least not on the scale of our city.

Old 03-06-2009, 10:29 PM

1,734 posts, read 5,689,395 times
Houston is underrated, but I don't think it is necessarily that much better than Chicago...and there are big towns within a few hours drive from Chicago, Detroit and Minneapolis/St. Paul being a few of them.

Old 03-07-2009, 01:28 AM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times
Whoever said Houston is like a giant suburb sums up exactly how I feel when Im there..A beautiful giant suburb nonetheless.

Old 03-07-2009, 08:29 AM

3,451 posts, read 7,055,848 times
Moderator cut: orphaned

I lived in Texas for longer than I care to remember and recently had temporary job in both Austin and Houston.

After having not been in Texas for over twenty years I can say that my perception of the state for the has not changed...

Speaking only for myself I'll say that I just don't understand the attraction of Texas. I don't care for the weather or the scenery and would rather put up with a higher cost of living to live in an area with in my opinion, better weather, and scenery. I'm not saying that there are not areas of Texas that are beautiful...but the weather in my opinion is too hot for too long.

To me the best thing about Texas are its people...I have always been fond of the people of Texas and to this day remain friends with many of the people I met there when I lived there in the early 1980's.

Last edited by Bo; 03-07-2009 at 09:18 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post quoted was deleted

Old 03-07-2009, 09:01 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No, Houston has one of the biggest museum districts (3rd I think) in the country. Including some of the countries most visited museums (Natural Science)
So Houston's museums are concentrated in one district, that doesn't mean that Houston has MORE museums than other cities.

I'm curious, though, what are these multiple countries you're talking about? Or does your high school not teach you the difference between "countries" and "country's"?

Old 03-07-2009, 09:42 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,844,510 times
The "cheapness" of Houston is something of a myth.

It's only the case with the suburbs, really.

A big suburban home in an area with good schools will cost $150-350k, depending on the specific suburb (Sugar Land is more expensive than Spring, for example.)

The same exact kind of house in the city, in a decent area with good public schools, would probably be $700k-1.5+mil, depending on the area. This is what you have to pay to be in the city and close to most major employment, world-class museums, culture/arts, restaurants etc. Just like any other large American city.

Old 03-07-2009, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
So Houston's museums are concentrated in one district, that doesn't mean that Houston has MORE museums than other cities.
Not sure about that, but do know it ranks 3rd in amount of fine art museum space.

Old 03-07-2009, 10:59 AM

13,355 posts, read 39,968,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Not sure about that, but do know it ranks 3rd in amount of fine art museum space.
I've searched the internet and can't find that statistic. Mind sharing with us where you got that?

Old 03-07-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK123 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I've searched the internet and can't find that statistic. Mind sharing with us where you got that?
Houston Pavilions (http://www.houstonpavilions.com/office_facts.php - broken link)
"Houston ranks third in the nation in terms of the volume of fine arts museum space"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City