Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 11:19 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,846,008 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treens View Post
Maybe it is not so underrated.

Kiplinger.com thinks that Houston is the #1 City for 2008!

Best Cities to Live, Work and Play - Kiplinger.com

It even beat out Austin.... Makes me feel a little better about moving there.
I lived in Austin prior to Houston as well.

Been in Houston 9 years now, and took my native Austin spouse along with me.

We both LOVE it here. There are a few things we miss about Austin (hills, our friends still there)... but otherwise Houston has a lot more to do, better arts/culture/museums/restaurants/shopping, more diversity, more jobs... more of everything. Make sure you take advantage of all that, because it's what Houston has that Austin doesn't. We went to the opening of the new Fine Arts building year back, had a great time. Used to go to the symphony a lot. We'd go to more things like that, except we have young children now so it's harder.

We love having the beach/bay nearby as well. It's not as much of a drunken college kids fest like the lakes in Austin... much more pleasant.

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2008, 03:26 AM

634 posts, read 1,448,615 times
Default Sports and Stuff . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
It's amazing that Houston has come so far in the past 20-30 years to even be eligible for comparison with Chicago. Back in the 70's, Houston was a sleepy city with absolutely no urban life. Chicago was definitely a metropolis in the same time period. One thing is for sure, Chicago and Houston both kill LA. I'll take Chicago pizza or Tex-mex and margaritas over california fusion food any day of the year. And let's be honest, the Dodgers suck!
I'm not even a fan of any of these teams, and I was born in Texas, currently reside in Texas, however I feel I must interject. Are not the Dodgers 1/2 game back from the TB Rays (i.e. their division leader)? Some commentators have openly attributed their ascension to the Manny Ramirez trade. He has been nothing if not productive. And the Cubs are arguably the hottest team in baseball and are 13 1/2 games ahead of the (ahem) Houston Astros.

I'm fully aware that these comparisons have not one bearing upon the intangible quality of life which engendered these discussions, but if we're going to intimate that the quality of one's sports franchises is indicative of the quality of one's city, then by this type of argument Houston is not faring very well. Was not Chicago also in a Super Bowl recently? Ah yes, Bears v. Colts some two years ago! Perhaps I wandered into a cave for the last five years, but I can't recall the Texans having ventured that far to date. I could be wrong . . .

I find there is much to admire about Houston. I'm told Houston's theatre district and museums are on par with those of Chicago. It's been more than seven years since my time in Houston and I've not found much motivation to return. That was not a slight, merely the truth! I do wish there was a better train system or better public transit. Perhaps Houston's appearance on all of these Top 10 lists will assist it in furthering its global standing in more eyes than those with commercial interests. Good luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 02:58 PM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
I'm not even a fan of any of these teams, and I was born in Texas, currently reside in Texas, however I feel I must interject. Are not the Dodgers 1/2 game back from the TB Rays (i.e. their division leader)? Some commentators have openly attributed their ascension to the Manny Ramirez trade. He has been nothing if not productive. And the Cubs are arguably the hottest team in baseball and are 13 1/2 games ahead of the (ahem) Houston Astros.

I'm fully aware that these comparisons have not one bearing upon the intangible quality of life which engendered these discussions, but if we're going to intimate that the quality of one's sports franchises is indicative of the quality of one's city, then by this type of argument Houston is not faring very well. Was not Chicago also in a Super Bowl recently? Ah yes, Bears v. Colts some two years ago! Perhaps I wandered into a cave for the last five years, but I can't recall the Texans having ventured that far to date. I could be wrong . . .

I find there is much to admire about Houston. I'm told Houston's theatre district and museums are on par with those of Chicago. It's been more than seven years since my time in Houston and I've not found much motivation to return. That was not a slight, merely the truth! I do wish there was a better train system or better public transit. Perhaps Houston's appearance on all of these Top 10 lists will assist it in furthering its global standing in more eyes than those with commercial interests. Good luck!
We haven't found any motivation for you to return either. Please don't!

Old 08-09-2008, 11:43 PM

634 posts, read 1,448,615 times
Default ;)

Quote:
The levels of immature absurdity exhibited on an INTERNET thread never cease to amaze me. And consistently by the same participants. Had you not a better, more informed, intelligent retort to offer?

Old 08-10-2008, 02:46 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
And people from Houston wonder why the people of the city and the city itself are always attacked. If the city is not for him, respect it. You would easily respect his opinion if he said it was for him. I saw nothing ill in that entire post and even wished "Good Luck!" in his post to Houston for momentum that it currently has now in it's development.

Old 08-10-2008, 05:33 PM

4,760 posts, read 13,829,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadic9460678748 View Post
The levels of immature absurdity exhibited on an INTERNET thread never cease to amaze me. And consistently by the same participants. Had you not a better, more informed, intelligent retort to offer?
I think it was a JOKE. And it was funny because of the tone of the previous poster.

Anyway, back to the subject of Houston. I definitely think it is under-rated. We have friends in Seattle, Portland (OR), and Austin and they all think we are crazy to want to live in Houston. So many people think Houston is some sort of urban hell and their assessment doesn't begin to do justice to all that Houston has to offer residents.

There was an article in the Chronicle recently about the tough sell that executive recruiters have when they try to convince people to move to Houston. Houston has a PR problem. But that means that the people who do end up here can be in for a nice surprise when they realize Houston's good points.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:21 PM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Best Cities to Live, Work and Play - Kiplinger.com

I think many have known this for a while that live here; but most of us don't want the secret to get out.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:27 PM

157 posts, read 316,946 times
Quote:
Food for thought, eh? Well, hope you're hungry. Houston is second only to NYC for headquarters of Fortune 500 companies (more than Chicago has or will ever have). Houston has the second largest theatre district in the United States (more shows and larger than Chicago has or will ever have). Houston has one of the best medical centers worldwide (better than Chicago has or will ever have). Houston is endurable outside 365 days a year unless you're some Midwest wuss that melts when it gets hot outside. Houston continues to constantly increase density inside the loop and boasts an array and diversity of food Chicago does not have nor will ever have. All that and Chicago is older than Houston by over 50 years. Eat up!
I had no intention of pointing out the obvious and bashing Chicago, but the previous post clearly begged to be called out and put on point. It will be less than 25 years until Houston's population surpasses Chicago. We will continue to be an international hub for the Mideast, Asia, and South America. Chicago will continue to be cold and unbearable to be outside for 5 months of the year. Your city has nothing to make you such a snob, so make like Oprah and eat that food for thought!
"better than Chicago has or will ever have"

How absurd can you get? Only a child makes statements like that.

Old 08-16-2008, 12:35 PM

832 posts, read 3,854,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy View Post
"better than Chicago has or will ever have"

How absurd can you get? Only a child makes statements like that.
What was wrong about the statement?

Old 08-17-2008, 01:09 AM

9,598 posts, read 16,570,037 times
I am a Chicago native. I like Houston better. You Chicagoans can have your 10.25 percent sales tax, ridiculous gas tax, trampling of the 2nd amendment, toleration of violent crime in such neighborhoods as Englewood, Austin and Garfield Park, crappy autumns, crappy winters, crappy springs, 200,000 dollar houses in the ghetto and your corrupt politicians that continue to drive residents to Sun Belt cities like Houston.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City