Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM

439 posts, read 1,242,458 times

Advertisements

Hmmm...as much as I enjoy living in Houston, it aint no Chicago. However this city is definitely underrated. But it has a ways to go before it reaches Chicago's prominence. Chicago even with its cold winters is simply a more vibrant and walkable city than Houston. The skyline, the festivals (blues, jazz, lalapoolza, gospel, Taste of Chicago,etc.), restaurants, parks, shopping, transportation, lake front beaches, etc. Houston is nice, but it's no Chicago IMHO. Being a Chicago native I'm a bit bias.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 10:00 AM

564 posts, read 2,046,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
Hmmm...as much as I enjoy living in Houston, it aint no Chicago. However this city is definitely underrated. But it has a ways to go before it reaches Chicago's prominence. Chicago even with its cold winters is simply a more vibrant and walkable city than Houston. The skyline, the festivals (blues, jazz, lalapoolza, gospel, Taste of Chicago,etc.), restaurants, parks, shopping, transportation, lake front beaches, etc. Houston is nice, but it's no Chicago IMHO. Being a Chicago native I'm a bit bias.
Obviously.

Which is okay, of course.

Old 08-06-2008, 11:44 AM

5,479 posts, read 12,268,404 times
Quote:
And summertime is downright chilly there at night.
Technically, it's free Canadian air-conditioning. But the friendly Canucks have not figured out a way to shut it off in the winter

Tstone, thanks for making me smile. My wife, who lived in Texas for 15 years, has a broken thermostat. She gets cold when it's below 70
She has the windows open, even when its 85-90 & she loves humidity. Then again, she did live in the Phillipines doing Peace Corps.
Now if I could only solve her bad case of Chicago winter blaahs; I'm getting them too. I am sooo happy to be in Chi-town now, but I know I am going to be big-time envious of y'all (proper usage? I'm still on the Texan 101 course) Houstonites November through late May.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:13 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,164,034 times
Houston is a great place but it doesn't compare to Chicago. Chicago just seems like a real city. Houston is too big land wise and its not dense enough for a major city. Plus there is really no viable transportation options or a solid DT core. It seems like a huge suburb.

Old 08-06-2008, 12:22 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,149,021 times
Actually, I think the DT core thing is happening. It just needs more activity is all. C'mon public transportation.

Old 08-06-2008, 04:28 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,512 times
Im shocked i'm even gonna post here, but going back to what the OP said.

First of all in terms of Proximity of large cities, we have Milwaukee which is really close and is bigger then that of a city like Boston or Seattle. Indianapolis to the South-East, St. Louis to the Southwest, Quad Cities to the west and many more regional cities. And I wouldn't exactly say everyone is a drunk here either.

But in the end I have never been to Houston, but I would want to visit sometime and I have no reason to bash it. I just wanted to get some facts straight.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,224,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Houston is a great place but it doesn't compare to Chicago. Chicago just seems like a real city. Houston is too big land wise and its not dense enough for a major city. Plus there is really no viable transportation options or a solid DT core. It seems like a huge suburb.
No one cares about outside the loop. If your inside the loop and you like to have fun,you'll have fun.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:29 PM

88 posts, read 357,745 times
Chicago has more universities, more streetlife, more people, more skyscrapers, more companies, more different ethnic foods, more media, more muscle, more creative class, more architecture, more history, more global appeal, more action, more climate, more climate with more climate, more transit options, more money, more theater, more shows, more...um....everything...than Houston does have/ will have/ had in the past.
Food for thought.

Old 08-06-2008, 07:48 PM

756 posts, read 1,883,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinegar312 View Post
Chicago has more universities, more streetlife, more people, more skyscrapers, more companies, more different ethnic foods, more media, more muscle, more creative class, more architecture, more history, more global appeal, more action, more climate, more climate with more climate, more transit options, more money, more theater, more shows, more...um....everything...than Houston does have/ will have/ had in the past.
Food for thought.
Food for thought, eh? Well, hope you're hungry. Houston is second only to NYC for headquarters of Fortune 500 companies (more than Chicago has or will ever have). Houston has the second largest theatre district in the United States (more shows and larger than Chicago has or will ever have). Houston has one of the best medical centers worldwide (better than Chicago has or will ever have). Houston is endurable outside 365 days a year unless you're some Midwest wuss that melts when it gets hot outside. Houston continues to constantly increase density inside the loop and boasts an array and diversity of food Chicago does not have nor will ever have. All that and Chicago is older than Houston by over 50 years. Eat up!
I had no intention of pointing out the obvious and bashing Chicago, but the previous post clearly begged to be called out and put on point. It will be less than 25 years until Houston's population surpasses Chicago. We will continue to be an international hub for the Mideast, Asia, and South America. Chicago will continue to be cold and unbearable to be outside for 5 months of the year. Your city has nothing to make you such a snob, so make like Oprah and eat that food for thought!

Old 08-06-2008, 07:56 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,626,711 times
When will these morons stop trolling?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City