Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 09:13 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calid00d View Post
Downtown scenery is great - but that's the "old school" city model. Sure, Chicago's architecture is of historical importance etc. but that's just not how cities develop anymore (or ever really outside the U.S.). Look at SD, Phoenix, LA, Houston, etc. And just because a downtown looks neat doesn't make it a great city (although Chicago is great - I just think Houston is better).

I agree with the image problem mentioned above. It's funny how people think it's some conservative city though - Kerry took the city in '04, and even Harris County might go Dem. Our mayor is much better qualified and has a more prestigious resume than any other big city mayor, other than Bloomberg. It is an extremely tolerant and liberal city from what I've seen. Not to mention insanely diverse, something I don't see in Chicago as much. Walking along Westheimer or the Galleria it seems like whites were maybe 30%, with lots of asians, indians, africans, latinos, and a nice sprinkling of Europeans.

I also agree about the Austin thing. Austin is a great town but people there tend to snub their nose at other cities. I've even heard friends from Austin bashing California for being too polluted and crowded.
Chicago in my opinion is much better than Houston. Chicago overrall is is 4 times more denser than Houston and it feels like a real city. Houston is big, but it looks and feel like a suburb. In Chicago, you have suburbs that are way more dense and city like than Houston itself. And there is much to do in Chicago beside the downtown. Have you heard of Wicker park, Lincoln Park, &Lakeview. Those three neighborhoods have more nightlife than Chicago downtown itself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2008, 09:56 PM

20,512 posts, read 33,513,431 times
I love Houston but Chicago it is not. Chicago is much move livelier and much more urban than Houston. It has a much better public transit system. I also love the people of Chicago. I love that the people of Chicago use the cold as their advantage. They are outside walking in the freezing sub-zero cold still doing their daily activities like it was 75 degrees. Houston needs to learn to use that advantage like Chicago does.

That said. The inner loop and some parts of the outer loop is coming to it's own. Houston developed differently than Chicago and experienced much of it's growth during the age of the car. Now public transit seems to be gaining momentum as they are building it throughout the loop connecting areas that are already heavily visited. It has a long way to go. But the amenities are there. Just need to improve. I would take Houston over most cities in the US. But I like Chicago just a bit better. I do think it is underrated though.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:17 PM

283 posts, read 1,281,544 times
Dammit. At least 4-minutes of my life wasted reading this Houston: most under-rated city in U.S.? crap.

All gone now and no way to get it back..

Last edited by Eastender67; 08-06-2008 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: mispell

Old 08-06-2008, 10:22 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,597,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastender67 View Post
Dammit. At least 4-minutes of my life wasted reading this Houston: most under-rated city in U.S.? crap.

All gone now and no way to get it back..
I wasted so much more of my time than 4 minutes.

Old 08-06-2008, 10:56 PM

9,598 posts, read 16,560,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brinegar312 View Post
Chicago has more universities, more streetlife, more people, more skyscrapers, more companies, more different ethnic foods, more media, more muscle, more creative class, more architecture, more history, more global appeal, more action, more climate, more climate with more climate, more transit options, more money, more theater, more shows, more...um....everything...than Houston does have/ will have/ had in the past.
Food for thought.
I am a Chicago native living in Houston and I cannot agree with your entire post. Chicago has more companies, but Houston has more Fortune 500 companies. Chicago does not have more action than Houston. It is about the same. Chicago has more theater and more shows but Houston has better museums over all. Chicago museums are a bit overrated. Chicago does not have more ethnic foods. Houston has just as many and I am yet to find pho or Mexican food in the city of Chicago that compares even to some crappy dive on Bellfort. Chicago has more money? I think oil trumps all industries at the moment. Houston has plenty of money. In fact, Chicago is losing money while Houston continues to grow. As for the climate, Houston trumps Chicago by a landslide. Houston summers are hot but at least they are sunny. In fact, Houston is much sunnier than Chicago overall. The endless days of clouds and upper 30/low 40 highs made me want to lick a third rail at times. In Houston, I counted 25 days in a row on my calendar earlier this year where the weather was between 75-85 highs with no rain. When has that ever happened in Chicago? Chicago has more global appeal at the moment. In the end, Houston will out pace Chicago as everything is moving to Texas. And this includes a lot of Chicagoans and a lot of Chicago companies. I bet by the time my life is over, Houston will be "the second city".

Old 08-07-2008, 02:12 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluchidog View Post
Chicago in my opinion is much better than Houston. Chicago overrall is is 4 times more denser than Houston and it feels like a real city. Houston is big, but it looks and feel like a suburb. In Chicago, you have suburbs that are way more dense and city like than Houston itself. And there is much to do in Chicago beside the downtown. Have you heard of Wicker park, Lincoln Park, &Lakeview. Those three neighborhoods have more nightlife than Chicago downtown itself.
Houston has Uptown,Midtown,Montrose,Museum District,East Ward,and downtown itself. Houston is no slouch compared to Chicago when it comes to nightlife. Chicago is more dense and urban,but Houston is densifying its inner loop and also outside the loop.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:26 AM

439 posts, read 1,241,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
I love Houston but Chicago it is not. Chicago is much move livelier and much more urban than Houston. It has a much better public transit system. I also love the people of Chicago. I love that the people of Chicago use the cold as their advantage. They are outside walking in the freezing sub-zero cold still doing their daily activities like it was 75 degrees. Houston needs to learn to use that advantage like Chicago does.

That said. The inner loop and some parts of the outer loop is coming to it's own. Houston developed differently than Chicago and experienced much of it's growth during the age of the car. Now public transit seems to be gaining momentum as they are building it throughout the loop connecting areas that are already heavily visited. It has a long way to go. But the amenities are there. Just need to improve. I would take Houston over most cities in the US. But I like Chicago just a bit better. I do think it is underrated though.
It's funny you mention that. Because I often here of people who visit Chicago during the winter and tell me how surprise they are to see people out and about going about life when it's super cold out. Do they think Chicagoans curl up in a ball during the winter? LOL You just have to dress the part and life goes on. I had a lot of laughs this winter when folks around the office were whinning about 30 to 40 degree temperatures.

Old 08-07-2008, 07:48 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
It's amazing that Houston has come so far in the past 20-30 years to even be eligible for comparison with Chicago. Back in the 70's, Houston was a sleepy city with absolutely no urban life. Chicago was definitely a metropolis in the same time period. One thing is for sure, Chicago and Houston both kill LA. I'll take Chicago pizza or Tex-mex and margaritas over california fusion food any day of the year. And let's be honest, the Dodgers suck!

Old 08-07-2008, 09:09 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,355,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coog78 View Post
Houston is endurable outside 365 days a year unless you're some Midwest wuss that melts when it gets hot outside.
Or a Texas ***** who cant take a little cold. The door swings both ways here, gents.

Old 08-07-2008, 11:49 AM

756 posts, read 1,882,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Or a Texas ***** who cant take a little cold. The door swings both ways here, gents.
Hey Midwest *****, I can take plenty of cold, there just better be a ski lift involved.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City