Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. Minneapolis
Denver 119 52.19%
Minneapolis 109 47.81%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 08:59 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
The weather, and the scenery. Though Mpls is pretty with its greenery and river. But no mountains nearby!
Not too terribly far from Minneapolis:
Flickr Photo Download: Lutsen summer

Sawtooth Mountains-Grand Marais, Minnesota on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Flickr Photo Download: Minnesota Mountains

Flickr Photo Download: IMG_4229

While not the Rockies, there are TONS of gorgeous places in Minnesota that offer serenity, great scenery, excellent hiking, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 09:57 PM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Barely though. I think MSP has a metro of about 3.5 million and Denver has about 3 million. Then you have to figure that it doesn't include the other Front Range cities like Boulder, Colorado Springs, Loveland, Fort Collins, and Pueblo.

Minneapolis doesn't really have any other cities closeby other than Saint Cloud. MSP is more dense and urban in the center, but the surrounding area is pretty sparse. It's kind of a trade-off.
The Minneapolis - St. Paul - St. Cloud CSA is 3,538,781 while the Denver - Aurora - Boulder CSA is 2,998,878. Denver's CSA also includes the Greeley MSA.

As far as Minneapolis not having any other cities nearby? Have you ever heard of St. Paul? It's more of a "city" than anything surrounding Denver. Also, when you refer to the surrounding area of Minneapolis, I think of it's inner-ring suburbs. Those suburbs aren't exactly sparse as they all have average density.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 AM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
The Minneapolis - St. Paul - St. Cloud CSA is 3,538,781 while the Denver - Aurora - Boulder CSA is 2,998,878. Denver's CSA also includes the Greeley MSA.

As far as Minneapolis not having any other cities nearby? Have you ever heard of St. Paul? It's more of a "city" than anything surrounding Denver. Also, when you refer to the surrounding area of Minneapolis, I think of it's inner-ring suburbs. Those suburbs aren't exactly sparse as they all have average density.
Minneapolis and Saint Paul are treated as one city, technicalities aside. Beyond them, the closest city of any size worth spending an hour and a half in is Duluth. Beyond that, you have to get to Madison. Neither is particularly close.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
That's kind of good to know. Minneapolis traffic is always so congested so hopefully these new lines will clear some of it up. In Denver, I've never come to a complete standstill in traffic. It happens everytime I visit Minneapolis. The Twin Cities have more freeways than the entire Front Range and still they seem to get backed up so much more easily.

Why is that???
My guess is that Denver, being a newer city (and more planned) has more options in terms of surface streets. Try getting to Eden Prairie or Maple Grove from downtown on a city street. This problem is compounded by the fact that Minneapolis is a multi-nuclear city and the street systems don't really lend themselves to each other. Minneapolis streets, Saint Paul streets. Western Dakota and Scott Counties that get the benefit of neither.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:36 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Both cities are about the same age. 1858 is when both were founded. Denver incorporated in 1861, Minneapolis in 1867. That in response to "Denver being a newer city".

Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 PM

11,157 posts, read 14,006,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post

Denver and Boulder are only 25 miles apart and completely developed in between. Between Denver and Greeley is pretty much scattered development without ever fully leaving town.
Minneapolis and St. Cloud are over 70 miles apart. If you went 70 miles out of Denver, you'd have to add Colorado Springs (another 600,000+) and Fort Collins (another 280,000).

Old 02-25-2009, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Both cities are about the same age. 1858 is when both were founded. Denver incorporated in 1861, Minneapolis in 1867. That in response to "Denver being a newer city".
Except that is when they were little hamlets. For instance, Houston was founded in 1837, but I would consider Minneapolis to be an older city.
When the cities grew into regional centers with hinterlands, Minneapolis and Saint Paul did it much faster than Denver. By 1950, the Cities were twice the size of Denver. That is the era when the highways came through and the regional network of roads began to come into place.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:50 PM

3,198 posts, read 12,715,827 times
Denver -

One thing un-commented on thus far is the lower taxes in the Denver area which enhance an otherwise fairly similar cost of living between the two areas.

Otherwise, I certainly prefer the more abundant sunshine in Denver, the ability to consistently hit temps in the 40s, 50s, 60s and even a sprinkling of 70s in the winter, the Rockies semi-nearby, the more arid air / lack of rain / humidity, lesser mosquitoes, cooler summer nights, etc.

Denver has crazier and less predictable weather patterns than Minneapolis (or most cities for that matter), but the winters are far more broken up and the summers are relatively brief.

Old 02-25-2009, 04:00 PM

4,306 posts, read 13,473,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyEP View Post
Denver -

One thing un-commented on thus far is the lower taxes in the Denver area which enhance an otherwise fairly similar cost of living between the two areas.
But to make up for that, we have 7-8% (and higher) sales tax on everything, while Minnesota has 0% sales tax on clothes and most food items.

One thing I really miss about Denver and the Front Range is the considerably smaller number of theatres and other artistic outlets. The Twin Cities has the second highest number of theatre seats in the country after New York City.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:54 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iknowftbll View Post
Denver and Boulder are only 25 miles apart and completely developed in between. Between Denver and Greeley is pretty much scattered development without ever fully leaving town.
Minneapolis and St. Cloud are over 70 miles apart. If you went 70 miles out of Denver, you'd have to add Colorado Springs (another 600,000+) and Fort Collins (another 280,000).
No reason to try to educate me on this as I moved from Denver to Minneapolis. DannyBanany had made the comment that MSP has a metro of about 3.5 million and Denver has about 3 million, which isn't right as those numbers represent the cities' combined statistical areas (CSA). I pointed out that Boulder is part of Denver's CSA. Whatever the case, the numbers have to do with commuting patterns and obviously people are driving from all over the place in the Minneapolis area.

Last edited by BlackOut; 04-13-2009 at 11:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City