Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Denver vs. Minneapolis
Denver 119 52.19%
Minneapolis 109 47.81%
Voters: 228. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 11:59 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,735 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnehahapolitan View Post
Sorry. I forgot that nobody lived in Saint Paul until 1960. Not a single Saint Paulite.
Yeah um why would you need to add another cities population to Minneapolis to prove a point? Your point was again???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2009, 05:33 AM

605 posts, read 1,843,251 times
I think he was trying to say that the two cities are basically one because they border eachother.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:33 AM

1,588 posts, read 4,063,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-town 720 View Post
""Since when does Auraria Campus have 55,000 students? Did they add an additional 20,000 students since we debated Austin vs Denver a week ago?"""

Nope my figure was outdated then. I recently got that link from some folks involved in urban development. The study was done in 2008 of june I think and reflected 55,450 students attending the downtown campus.
C'mon Auraria Campus? One would be much more impressed by the fact that the University of Minnesota (currently the 4th largest student body population in the U.S.), Augsburg College, University of St. Thomas, College of St. Catherine, and North Central University are all located within or bordering downtown Minneapolis. Oh yeah, downtown Minneapolis has a community and tech school too (MCTC and Metro State). Should I throw the Aveda Institute in there too?

Last edited by BlackOut; 04-15-2009 at 11:47 AM..

Old 04-15-2009, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yeah um why would you need to add another cities population to Minneapolis to prove a point? Your point was again???
I think it's common knowledge that most consider Minneapolis and St. Paul to be one city. The two literally border one another and combined, are actually smaller than the city of Denver. Ouch.

Old 04-15-2009, 11:49 AM

IMO, Denver beats Minneapolis in terms of shopping and SOME outdoor activities, but Minneapolis wins out in pretty much every other area.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I cant see how the twin cities blows denver away in being cosmospolitan, bigger etc. Denver has a larger CBD (not a whole lot), 63k people living within 1.5 miles of 16th and california, 2nd largest preforming arts center.

Denver has 198 highrises

Twin cities has 190 highrises

Theses are very comparable cities in terms of size and other urban factors.
I knew I shouldn't have gone back and read through some of the nonsense.

I think it's also common knowledge that the Twin Cities area supports the arts scene very well. The Minneapolis area is second to New York City in live theater per capita and is the third-largest theater market in the U.S.

And in terms of highrises, if you're going to use the Twin Cities, (meaning Minneapolis and St. Paul) Minneapolis has 190 highrises and St. Paul has 68.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:12 PM

2,507 posts, read 8,563,840 times
Quote:
My point was simply that Minneapolis and Saint Paul formed a much larger metropolitan area than Denver did 60 years ago -- that profoundly influences the traffic patterns of an area. It wasn't a pissing contest until you decided to make it one.

Old 04-15-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Maybe if you did some research instead of trusting your first hit on google you would of got the preformign arts thing correct...

RANKING: Central Business District EMPLOYMENT

11 Denver 126,000
12 Minneapolis-St. Paul 105,400

www.demographia.com/db-cbd2000.pdf.
Those employment numbers are very suspect considering the study lists Minneapolis - St. Paul. The two cities have seperate CBDs.

Why did you leave out the fact that Denver's CBD is 1.53 square miles and Minneapolis's CBD is .72 square miles?

BTW, Minneapolis's CBD employment is about 147,000 and St. Paul's is about 48,000.

Last edited by BlackOut; 04-15-2009 at 12:39 PM..

Old 04-15-2009, 01:46 PM

1,606 posts, read 3,343,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
Those employment numbers are very suspect considering the study lists Minneapolis - St. Paul. The two cities have seperate CBDs.

Why did you leave out the fact that Denver's CBD is 1.53 square miles and Minneapolis's CBD is .72 square miles?

BTW, Minneapolis's CBD employment is about 147,000 and St. Paul's is about 48,000.
I agree with Blackout. The employment data I had always heard for downtown Mpls was around 150,000 or so, while DT St Paul was less than 50,000.

Regarding Denver vs Mpls, all I'll say is that I like both cities very much:

Denver does have a better climate and has the advantage of being near the Mountains. Denver also has several nice neighborhoods--I like the area around Washington Park and Cherry Creek. LODO and Larimar are also great areas. Denver is also more advanced in transit!

I like both city's downtowns. On the whole, I'd say that downtown Denver is richer in character, while DT Mpls is slightly more vibrant. The skyways in Mpls reduce our streetlife, but make it a two-level city and a more densely developed downtown.

I prefer the neighborhoods of Mpls--the housing stock is generally nicer and the commercial strips are slightly more urban (reflecting the influence of the streetcar system in the 1920s). The city parks and parkways, plus the lakes of Mpls are hard to beat!

Old 04-15-2009, 02:52 PM

795 posts, read 2,410,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackOut View Post
C'mon Auraria Campus? One would be much more impressed by the fact that the University of Minnesota (currently the 4th largest student body population in the U.S.), Augsburg College, University of St. Thomas, College of St. Catherine, and North Central University are all located within or bordering downtown Minneapolis. Oh yeah, downtown Minneapolis has a community and tech school too (MCTC and Metro State). Should I throw the Aveda Institute in there too?
I dont know. should you? The topic was about a student population affecting the downtown atmosphere. What are you trying to do compare the quality of colleges? A new unrelated topic?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City