Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2009, 09:47 PM

3,003 posts, read 6,094,351 times

Advertisements

Im saying though who see's chicagos skyline as better. Thats whats blowing our mind. NYC is AMERICAS skyline. Whenever you see a skyline or a city period nine times outta ten its new york. The last tme i seen chicago was in batman man lol. Come on ya can't be serious if ya really think chicagos skyline is more famous and loved than new yorks. NYC has beaten chicago in every poll since i've got here. It was winning just last night at that. Now hocuspocus occurs and poof - its down by ten. Chicago will always be second to new york.........matter of fact third my bad LA is second. What part of THAT do u midwest dudes not get

Old 04-13-2009, 10:00 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Im saying though who see's chicagos skyline as better. Thats whats blowing our mind. NYC is AMERICAS skyline.
Don't be so provincial. Magazines, institutes, expert polls, etc. Sometimes they choose NY, sometimes they choose Chicago. It's like 50/50. And then you come in here with this:

Quote:
The last tme i seen chicago was in batman man lol. Come on ya can't be serious if ya really think chicagos skyline is more famous and loved than new yorks. NYC has beaten chicago in every poll since i've got here. It was winning just last night at that. Now hocuspocus occurs and poof - its down by ten.
It just sound stupid. Google "World's best skylines" and the top three will almost always be HK, NYC, and Chicago, and the order will be different for all of them. But you think it's far and away #1? Dude, you're wrong.

Quote:
Chicago will always be second to new york.........matter of fact third my bad LA is second.
Chicago's skyline is second to LA? See, these things make you look stupid. And if you're just talking about general cities, petty things like that just make you look like you have emotional problems.

Quote:
What part of THAT do u midwest dudes not get
Look at my location.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 PM

[quote=LucasS6;8330607]Don't be so provincial. Magazines, institutes, expert polls, etc. Sometimes they choose NY, sometimes they choose Chicago. It's like 50/50. And then you come in here with this:

Never sometimes, NYC gets it Most of the time. NYC rarely takes a back seat to chicago. The average american would place nyc way above chicago. Maybe thats why new york attracts more visitors per year. Chicago is an interesting alternative at best

It just sound stupid. Google "World's best skylines" and the top three will almost always be HK, NYC, and Chicago, and the order will be different for all of them. But you think it's far and away #1? Dude, you're wrong.

Like i said before nyc has a better combination of fame, quality and quantity than either those cities. The first skyline that comes to mind on a world reknown basis is new york. Theres nothing that stands out about chicagos or hong kongs skyline.

quote]

New york has had the number one spot since the 1920's get outta here. NYC is Americas Skyline

Old 04-13-2009, 10:31 PM

1,963 posts, read 1,823,701 times
Thank you. And by saying LA has a better skyline than Chicago, you just robbed yourself of any credibility you had left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Don't be so provincial. Magazines, institutes, expert polls, etc. Sometimes they choose NY, sometimes they choose Chicago. It's like 50/50. And then you come in here with this:

Chicago's skyline is second to LA? See, these things make you look stupid. And if you're just talking about general cities, petty things like that just make you look like you have emotional problems.

Look at my location.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:39 PM

La as far as importance not skyline.

Lol saying chicago is better than new york robs one of credibility.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:47 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
No. New York always comes up before Chicago, according to AIA poll looking for America's favorite buildings America's favorite building is the Empire State while none of Chicago buildings made it to top twenty. I know we talk about skyline and not buildings here but skylines consist of buildings and famous buildings make famous skylines.

Here is the link to the official AIA release. Enjoy.

The American Institute of Architects::Pressroom

"The Top 10 List

Washington’s public buildings and memorials dominated the top 10 list, but New York city easily led the list for the sheer number of structures in the top 150. Following are the top 10 structures and their architects and designers:

1. Empire State Building - Shreve, Lamb & Harmon
2. The White House - James Hoban
3. Washington National Cathedral - George Bodley and Henry Vaughan, FAIA
4. Jefferson Memorial - John Russell Pope, FAIA
5. Golden Gate Bridge – Irving F. Morrow and Gertrude C. Morrow
6. U.S. Capitol - William Thornton, Benjamin Henry Latrobe, Charles Bulfinch, Thomas U. Walter, FAIA, Montgomery C. Meigs
7. Lincoln Memorial - Henry Bacon, FAIA
8. Biltmore Estate/Vanderbilt Mansion - Richard Morris Hunt, FAIA
9. Chrysler Building - William Van Alen, FAIA
10. Vietnam Veterans Memorial - Maya Lin with Cooper-Lecky Partnership

The Harris Interactive survey of 1,804 randomly selected Americans ranked America’s Favorite Architecture from a list pre-selected by an AIA panel of 248 structures in numerous categories, including famous homes, public buildings, sports arenas, transportation hubs, and office buildings. Nearly one-half of the projects in America’s Favorite Architecture are in three cities: New York, Washington, D.C., and Chicago.

The list of 150 buildings in America’s Favorite Architecture reads like a tour book for New York City, as 32 of the city’s most prominent architectural landmarks dominate the list. The list includes St. Patrick’s Cathedral (11th), Grand Central Station (13th), the St. Regis Hotel (16th), and Rockefeller Center (56th).

Seventeen of the projects ranked in America’s Favorite Architecture are located in Washington, D.C., and include the U.S. Supreme Court (15th) and the Library of Congress (28th). Chicago is well represented with 16, including Wrigley Field (31st), the Sears Tower (42nd), the Tribune Tower (38th), and the Field Museum (52nd)."

Last edited by dementor; 04-13-2009 at 11:14 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 10:54 PM

"The list of 150 buildings in America’s Favorite Architecture reads like a tour book for New York City, as 32 of the city’s most prominent architectural landmarks dominate the list. The list includes St. Patrick’s Cathedral (11th), Grand Central Station (13th), the St. Regis Hotel (16th), and Rockefeller Center (56th)."

Lol the ESB beats out even the White house. Theres nothing from chicago in the top ten. And theres two from nyc in the top ten alone. They said the list reads like a nyc tour book lmao.

Old 04-13-2009, 10:58 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Never sometimes, NYC gets it Most of the time. NYC rarely takes a back seat to chicago.

When it comes to the beauty of their respective skylines, NYC often does. Again, sorry that upsets you so much.

Quote:
The average american would place nyc way above chicago. Maybe thats why new york attracts more visitors per year. Chicago is an interesting alternative at best
I don't think anyone travels to either New York or Chicago just to look at their skylines. What a dumb argument.

Quote:
Like i said before nyc has a better combination of fame, quality and quantity than either those cities. The first skyline that comes to mind on a world reknown basis is new york. Theres nothing that stands out about chicagos or hong kongs skyline.
To you. To the rest of the world, there's quite a bit. You don't know much outside of New York. That's fine, some people don't go a lot of places and don't know about a lot of places- don't assume everyone is like that.

Quote:
New york has had the number one spot since the 1920's get outta here. NYC is Americas Skyline
Unfortunately, the debate isn't about "America's Skyline". The Cowboys are "America's Team", but that didn't win them a Super Bowl last year, did it?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:12 PM

Show me where nyc OFTEN loses. On every poll on this site it wins(non fixed). Dementor just posted the facts off ya supposed source LOL. Thats why i said he handles ya by himself he used ya source agaisnt ya lol..

Just in general life and american culture you never hear about chicago. chicago is as a bootleg scaled down new york. Its like why would an individual visit chicago when he can go to new york.

The sears tower is ugly and so is that big ass red building. Whats pretty about it lol?

Old 04-13-2009, 11:15 PM

So are ya seriously going to tell me that people (national and worldwide) generally View Chicago's skyline as being better than New York City's with a straight face. Answer that
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City