Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 03:40 AM

134 posts, read 385,342 times

Advertisements

Just wondering from people how a place like Chicago differs from New York? I visited New york a few times and I was not too impressed, although I was in the sketchy and dirty area's. Contrast that with Boston which I enjoyed a lot and have visited many times.

Now I hear that Chicago is an awesome vibrant city with lots to do, plenty of nightlife, and a lot of diversity -- but what exactly is it that sets Chicago apart from a place like New York or Boston?? What makes Chicago unique?

Old 04-08-2009, 09:24 AM

1,912 posts, read 5,444,736 times
Are you serious with this thread? GOD, what an original topic! You must've been up all night contemplating this humdinger.

//www.city-data.com/forum/city-...go-boston.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...here-live.html

//www.city-data.com/forum/chica...hborhoods.html

Old 04-08-2009, 09:39 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack wild View Post
Just wondering from people how a place like Chicago differs from New York? I visited New york a few times and I was not too impressed, although I was in the sketchy and dirty area's. Contrast that with Boston which I enjoyed a lot and have visited many times.

Now I hear that Chicago is an awesome vibrant city with lots to do, plenty of nightlife, and a lot of diversity -- but what exactly is it that sets Chicago apart from a place like New York or Boston?? What makes Chicago unique?
Unlike Boston or New York, Chicago is located in Illinois. Oh, and Chicago is spelled differently that Boston or New York. Unlike those other two cities, Chicago has a "C" at the beginning, "O" at the end, and "HICAG" in the middle. Hope that helps!

Old 04-08-2009, 09:56 AM

11,975 posts, read 31,786,761 times
Judging by the first two responses, Chicago is about as friendly as New York and Boston.

Here's my quickie answer to why Chicago is different from New York as Boston:

1. Less neighbohrood density outside of high-rise districts (but still more density than other midwestern or western cities)

2. Gentrification is in earlier stages in Chicago than in New York or Boston. But Chicago is more gentrified than most other U.S. cities.

3. We have the best 19th and early 20th Century high-rise architecture in the U.S. Google "Chicago School Architecture" for the reasons.

4. Um, we are city jam packed with unique cultural and culinary traditions. Too many to list.

5. Chicago has it's own feel that you can only understand if you visit frequently or live here.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Hey, clearly my years of living in Boston have overwhelmed my genteel Southern upbringing. The OP is lucky if I don't run him off the road when he comes to visit.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:17 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,085,088 times
We wait .01 seconds longer to honk at you when the light turns green than in New York (being Midwestern and all), and one of our two baseball teams wear different colored 'sox' than in Boston.

Old 04-08-2009, 10:55 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,913,577 times
Default Careful..

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
Hey, clearly my years of living in Boston have overwhelmed my genteel Southern upbringing. The OP is lucky if I don't run him off the road when he comes to visit.
...or you might lose your "venerable" status....

Anyway, this topic has been done ad nauseum. But simply, Chicago is less congested, more sprawling, less expensive while offering many of the same things, friendlier, less car-honking (noticeably less), less obvious accent, good mix of urban/suburban, sports teams on subway lines, hefty portions in restaurants, good mass transit and overall, a little less cynicism.

Please inquire into the other threads mentioned above..

Old 04-08-2009, 11:17 AM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
Default chicago has ...

Well, not to stereotype, but...

Chicagoans are often hung up on believing they are just as cool as people in other places. When you are worried about such a thing, it's a sign.

People in Chicago tend to be more passive-aggressive. It's part of that 'friendliness'.

Reknowned architecture, but it's not pretty or cohesive. More like giant dentist offices.

Winters are hellish.

Most segregated city in the US.

Incredible poverty and crime.

Old 04-08-2009, 11:48 AM

3,674 posts, read 8,660,588 times
On the national level, only New York City competes with Chicago for dense neighborhoods and a kick ass downtown. Boston has some amazing neighborhoods, don't get me wrong, but they never, ever lead into a Loop-like area. Listen to me when I tell you this, OP, because that's the essential difference.

I am not going to touch the Chicago vs. NYC competition again.

Last edited by aragx6; 04-08-2009 at 12:17 PM..

Old 04-08-2009, 11:51 AM

440 posts, read 1,502,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookout Kid View Post

2. Gentrification is in earlier stages in Chicago than in New York or Boston. But Chicago is more gentrified than most other U.S. cities.
No way on this one.

Boston and New York never got anywhere near as screwed up as Chicago did, so maybe they just look "gentrified" to you in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City