Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 08:32 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times

Advertisements

Several people on here are starting to get it ! serious... not knocking Chicago... but look at the demographics and culture that dominates the area... that is what we are getting at, not that it doesn't have world class architecture and big city amenities...

Old 04-11-2009, 08:38 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Look at the state of our country...what attitude do you think caused us to be in the situation that we're in?
yeah, yeah, we all know that the coastal elitists screwed up the country while the hardworking Midwesterns were creating wealth... I heard that before nevertheless it is still very funny...

PS. Why is Midwest so bent on very simplistic understanding of the world?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:39 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
yeah, yeah, we all know that the coastal elitist screwed up the country while the hardworking Midwesterns are buidling wealth of this country... I heard that before nevertheless it is still funny

PS. Why is Midwest so bent on very simplistic understanding of the world?
logical fallacy #38
Desire for simple answers.

Old 04-11-2009, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoroc View Post
Notice how Bostonians always say “sophistication like New York”, - come one you’re nowhere near New York’s league.

Boston does have good schools, but many regions do like NC’s triangle and Cali’s bay area..
Boston is sohisticated on its own and its schools are THE BEST in the nation. Harvard, MIT? Which city in the US can match that magnitude?

Old 04-11-2009, 08:51 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Boston is sohisticated on its own and its schools are THE BEST in the nation. Harvard, MIT? Which city in the US can match that magnitude?
I absolutely agree. But outside the Cambridge bubble, there's a big part of Boston that's composed of the old school, Good Will Hunting-type crowd. The same is true in Chicago, of course.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
I absolutely agree. But outside the Cambridge bubble, there's a big part of Boston that's composed of the old school, Good Will Hunting-type crowd. The same is true in Chicago, of course.
I understand what you are saying but it is hard to accuse a city of lack of sophistication when it hosts some of the most prestigious school in the world... And this is not even about the simple prestige but the influence of those academias on the rest of the city and region.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:12 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
I understand what you are saying but it is hard to accuse a city of lack of sophistication when it hosts some of the most prestigious school in the world... And this is not even about the simple prestige but the influence of those academias on the rest of the city and region.
Boston's weird that way. When I was there I ran mostly in the Harvard academic/biomedical crowd, but I had a fair number of connections with the blue collar old school crowd. The difference between the two was really striking. You'd hardly believe that they inhabited the same city.

On a slightly related point, I didn't particularly see a strong relationship between academic brilliance and cultural sophistication, but maybe that's because I was hanging out with scientists (ie geeks.)

Old 04-11-2009, 09:13 PM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Yeah, and that is what makes Chicago such a cool place. It's the ultimate destination for a lot of Midwesterners, yet it is still relatively isolated from the coastal media. So we get to have our world class city on the lake, and keep away from all the pretense and posturing that comes with being an East Coast city (that is, of course, unless we get on to forums like City-Data).
The funny thing is that when I lived in Milwaukee, people there used to make the same argument about why they liked it there instead of Chicago.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:19 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
The funny thing is that when I lived in Milwaukee, people there used to make the same argument about why they liked it there instead of Chicago.

Good for them. I like Milwaukee and they have a right to be proud of their city.

Old 04-11-2009, 09:22 PM

13,255 posts, read 12,124,530 times
I'm not gonna debate sophistication with the likes of dementor and grapico.

And how does living in an urban area make you somehow better than someone who does not. Dementor you live in NYC, the most urban area in the country and your still a dumba*s.

Just because you come from KY, IL, IN, or IA doesn't mean that your not smart, cultured, or don't have anything to add to an urban environment.

All of the major cities in this country were built on people moving to them. Don't be so quick to criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City