Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 04:15 AM

567 posts, read 1,446,259 times

Advertisements

hold on. in that picture, what your looking at is the whole metropolitan area which includes 9 districts (like different cities). the main one is that island in the top right hand corner.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:19 AM

another thing; why does the sky in that picture look like its on mars or something? no wonder everyone wears masks there.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:26 AM

734 posts, read 2,053,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GDK94 View Post
how many of those are over 600ft (high rise)? NYC has 5,000 highrises and shanghai has like 900. post a link.
Dude, use your eyes. There's no link to it because a place like Emporis (an English-speaking website made with information supplied by English-speaking skyscraper enthusiasts) doesn't have the information on it. Emporis isn't the end-all. Seriously- use your eyes. If the building in the left corner is like 1600' (and it is) what do you think all those other buildings are. And consider that's half the skyline.

And no, that isn't the entire urban area.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Dude, use your eyes. There's no link to it because a place like Emporis (an English-speaking website made with information supplied by English-speaking skyscraper enthusiasts) doesn't have the information on it. Emporis isn't the end-all. Seriously- use your eyes.

And no, that isn't the entire urban area.
yea it is, you can tell how the buildings are placed. one group of buildings here, another over there. thats the whole metropolitan which includes 9 different cities. and how can you tell which buildings are highrises and which aren't in that picture? the air is so smoggy and polluted, its hard to see them. if you google shanghai, all that comes up is pictures of that island in the upper right hand corner. thats the whole metro area for sure.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:43 AM

this is the REAL shanghai skyline:
http://i.pbase.com/u16/kmark/large/5307521.CRW_4423_16_NHNN_A_03_A2_100.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-12-2009, 04:49 AM

this is shanghai metro (its a model):http://neatorama.cachefly.net/images/2008-08/shanghai-model-1.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-12-2009, 04:52 AM

i couldn't even find ANY pictures like the above until i googled "shanghai metropolitan area" and i found lots of pictures like that. if you google just "shanghai" you find pictures like on post 125. so all lucas did was get photos of the metropolitan area and tried to play it off as shanghai. the REAL (not the metro) shanghai actually has a skyline smaller than most american cities. so lucas, why did you feel the need to inflate shanghai's skyline? so you wouldn't be proven as wrong???? you should have just admitted you were wrong, but you had to defend your lies like you were actually right. and you can't post a link because THERE ISN'T ONE.

Last edited by GDK94; 04-12-2009 at 05:11 AM..

Old 04-12-2009, 07:03 AM

100 posts, read 220,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown2pa View Post
Are you serious? Dude, I'm not going to keep answering your questions if you aren't going to even read what I write. Thanks again for imitating me.

How about this:

Is there a building in New York over 1400 feet? Has there ever been, or not?
Is there more than one building with a roof higher than 1000 feet in New York?
Are there any notable Bascule bridges in New York? Is there more than one?
Was electricity first exhibited in New York? Or was it someplace else?
What was the first movie capital of the country? Where did Charlie Chaplain and his ilk film their silent films before the industry moved to California?
Is there an elevated train running through the CBD of New York? Or not?
Where can I get a decent Italian Beef or a jar of giardiniera in New York City?
Where is the world's most important commodities exchange? Is that in New York?
Is New York the world's tallest city? Or is that somewhere in the Midwest?
Did New York get ranked the best city for Men, or the City of the Year by GQ?

I'm just curious; and of course I'm making a point. New York has great, world-class journalism. And that's not all it has. However, it doesn't have it all.
This is just stupid.

NYC has a subway, so somehow that is not as good as an elevated train? The El is the ugliest eyesore in all of the midwest.

Tall buildings make a city? Sears Tower, the Aon and Hancock are 3 of the ugliest structures on earth. The Empire State Building is as beautiful a modern structure as you could ever find. And terrorists did not bother knocking down buildings in Chicago.

You cite the commidoties exchange? NYC is the financial center of the world and you chastise it for not having the commodities exchange? Yeah, I guess they wish they were trading pork bellies.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:13 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,926,746 times
This is funny - because the Chicago bashers say it - they think it's so. No arguing, their word is the word.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
This is funny - because the Chicago bashers say it - they think it's so. No arguing, their word is the word.
are you referring to me? because i didn't just prove lucas wrong by saying i did. i proved him wrong because everything he said was a lie. he tried posting a pic of "shanghai", but it was later discovered it was actually the metropolitan area which consist of 9 completely different cities (districts) and then when i asked him to post a link of shanghai's buildings, his excuse was he couldn't because no one has statistics. i posted a link and he said it didn't count because it was in english. now, if thats not BS, then i don't know what is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City