Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 12:37 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
I find it interesting that NYC has a hard time sustaining a middle class. A recent report by the Center For An Urban Future suggests that "The Big Apple is too expensive for most people to live." .
Most people exluding some 10M living in the city and 20M living in the Metro.

It's an absurd argument Wisconsin as for the most people even Chicago or any big city is too expensive.

I can see you are busy... Happy googling

Old 04-12-2009, 12:40 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,924,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Most people exluding some 10M living in the city and 20M living in the Metro.

It's an absurd argument Wisconsin as for the most people even Chicago or any big city is too expensive.
Think what you want - articles on the demise of the NYC middle class are out there for all to read.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Think what you want - articles on the demise of the NYC middle class are out there for all to read.

And yet New York, unlike Chicago, continues to grow.

By the way, I appreciate your honest concern

Old 04-12-2009, 12:42 PM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
Quote:
Why would anyone want to live in a city where it's next to impossible to attain middle class existence? To live in a studio apartment in a less than desirable area of the city, just doesn't sound very appealing. Not the least little bit.
Because in 5 years in NYC you can experience what you would in 20 years in Chicago.

If you want a cheap place to live, try South Dakota.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
Because in 5 years in NYC you can experience what you would in 20 years in Chicago.

If you want a cheap place to live, try South Dakota.
I'm not looking for a cheap place to live - never said I was. I would just not like to live like a sardine in a tentament in The Bronx. Thanks anyway.

Old 04-12-2009, 12:46 PM

100 posts, read 220,284 times
"An extraordinary number of Nobel Laureates have been University of Chicago faculty members, students, or researchers at some point in their careers."

Nobel Laureates | The University of Chicago

Gotta love this. Has to be the only university that cites Nobel Laureates who so much as took a **** at the school.

They cite Frank Wilczek, 2004 for Physics; but you clink on the link and discover that he is on faculty at MIT. Hmmmm. A little desperate I would say.

This is kind of the Chicago attitude: "We want to be as great as other places, so maybe if we just say we are, people will believe it. We can hire our own food critics to tout our restaurants and create arts and entertainment industries that imitate those in other cities, and they will be just as good."

Old 04-12-2009, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
"An extraordinary number of Nobel Laureates have been University of Chicago faculty members, students, or researchers at some point in their careers."

Nobel Laureates | The University of Chicago

Gotta love this. Has to be the only university that cites Nobel Laureates who so much as took a **** at the school.

They cite Frank Wilczek, 2004 for Physics; but you clink on the link and discover that he is on faculty at MIT. Hmmmm. A little desperate I would say.

This is kind of the Chicago attitude: "We want to be as great as other places, so maybe if we just say we are, people will believe it. We can hire our own food critics to tout our restaurants and create arts and entertainment industries that imitate those in other cities, and they will be just as good."

You hit it on the head. This is typical Chicago attitude. Pompous claims of greatness based on anecdotal evidence. You would not believe the claims you hear from people in Chicago and read and hear in local media. After spening some time in Chicago you could start believing that this is the only city with diversity, skyline, bar scene or theaters. The locals truly believe that.

Last edited by dementor; 04-12-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 04-12-2009, 01:19 PM

At the 77th winter meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, it was stated that New York is set to suffer the largest drop in employment in 2009. It also stated that it looks like 50,000 people will lose their finance jobs in New York this year. That doesn't sound very promising.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
At the 77th winter meeting of the U.S. Conference of Mayors, it was stated that New York is set to suffer the largest drop in employment in 2009. It also stated that it looks like 50,000 people will lose their finance jobs in New York this year. That doesn't sound very promising.
50,000? I think the number is exaggerated but still New York is the largest job market in nation. It's easier to find a job there than in Chicago not mention there are many indsustries like media, advertising, publishing that are not available in Chicago at all.

Old 04-12-2009, 02:52 PM

633 posts, read 1,442,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
50,000? I think the number is exaggerated but still New York is the largest job market in nation. It's easier to find a job there than in Chicago not mention there are many indsustries like media, advertising, publishing that are not available in Chicago at all.
Alright, I am officially through trying to penetrate the thick, syrupy coagulation that occupies the space where your gray matter was supposed to be with my arrows of illuminating knowledge. Your and NorthEnd's claims are outrageous, egregious, and constantly so completely baseless that any truth is completely blotted out and overpowered by the unbelievable ignorance of everything else you say. Let me give you a few examples.

Chicagoans shop at the Mall of America? IN MINNESOTA? Chicago's culture consists of Michael Jordan's restaurant? Is that even still around? What on earth are you talking about? Chicago is somehow "overgrown?" Chicago, the marvel of urban planning, the model city for up-and-coming metropolises in the Midwest and East Coast?

Imagine if we did that: New Yorkers vacation in Idaho. New Yorkers dig holes and sit in them for fun. New Yorkers all have feet where their hands should be. You have to believe it, because I live in New York. They all think they are spacemen. You would say we were ridiculous, and you would be right. Imagine how insane it would be if we were serious. You don't have to try hard to imagine. That is exactly what you have been doing.

Your small-mindedness and complete refusal to learn even the most rudimentary fundamentals about the Windy City secure your position among the hall of ignorance on this website.

Your outright lies about where you live, falsehoods about your experience with the Midwest, which amounts to character assassination, and abundant dishonest claims betray the pettiness of your character. It becomes clear that your hostility toward all that is unfamiliar to you stems from a deep insecurity and apparent absence of any self-esteem.

I am through talking to you. I only hope that I will be able to restrain myself from engaging you when you inevitably create your next steaming pile of a response to this post.

I will say this, though, you keep things interesting around here. Like a yapping dog under the dinner table. Funny to laugh at, and it gets a scrap from time to time. After a while, though, you have to give it a kick and remind it who's boss. Consider yourself kicked.

The End

Last edited by chitown2pa; 04-12-2009 at 03:05 PM.. Reason: increased the potency of my arguments
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City