Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2009, 08:24 PM

100 posts, read 220,284 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Sure. 25 below and 90 below windchill...right. The record low was -24 in 1985. Nice try. Ear lobes frozen for two weeks? Monthly Averages for Chicago, IL

I take it you're not an MIT or Harvard grad. Tell me about how the Chicago tax burden is higher than NY again.
11% restaurant tax - nice

Old 04-12-2009, 08:31 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,948,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
11% restaurant tax - nice
What's the top state income tax rate in NY? Oh, what about that NYC income tax?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
What's the top state income tax rate in NY? Oh, what about that NYC income tax?
8.97% for incomes over $200K

Old 04-12-2009, 08:39 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northEnd View Post
8.97% for incomes over $200K

And how many meals do you need to eat before the numbers even out?

BTW, NY is one of the only states that charges sales tax for internet purchases even if the company does not have a physical location in their state.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:41 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,508,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
Not just Big Ten. Basically any school within 500 miles has 'their' bar in the area. But, you know the Big Ten doesn't stretch into the Great Plains, right?

I've never known anyone that moved from Chicago to any of those cities for 'better stuff' or 'more culture'. Better weather, yeah. They're called retirees.

Uhhh...no.

I guess. Then add another couple million people and diversify the economy. And add more culture and a more international feel. And the lake. I guess.
Wasn't saying where they were at, they get both...

Wasn't saying from Chicago to these... I'm talking about "from random place in U.S." to X

of course people don't move from Chicago to these other cities b/c they assume they have this big great best city in the u.s. and everything nyc has but a lower COL, isn't that the non-literal motto on this site? Couldn't be farther from the truth...

Minny/D-Town... okay, take out the current economy... and it *would* be diversified... msa pops are bout the same when combined. esp if u take d-town from 10-20 years ago.
minnesota has culture... detroit is right next to lake erie and another sizeable lake, right? minnesota is the lake state...think that is covered...

note these #'s are approximate off top of my head...

Old 04-12-2009, 08:43 PM

5 posts, read 22,046 times
ok lemme just answer the guy's question. just visit chicago's downtown (especially millenium park during a good concert) when the sun is going down. you'll have such a nice experience you'll want to salvage your time there and only revisit ten years later to find yourself. sounds a bit corny but trust me, you'll understand what makes chicago, chicago

Old 04-12-2009, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
And how many meals do you need to eat before the numbers even out?

BTW, NY is one of the only states that charges sales tax for internet purchases even if the company does not have a physical location in their state.
I don't imagine most of the people on this blog would be concerned with tax rates for incomes over $200K.

Taxing food is a tax on the poor. What is the sales tax in Chicago, 10.5%? Why not just tell the poor and working class to move out?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midway-man View Post
ok lemme just answer the guy's question. just visit chicago's downtown (especially millenium park during a good concert) when the sun is going down. you'll have such a nice experience you'll want to salvage your time there and only revisit ten years later to find yourself. sounds a bit corny but trust me, you'll understand what makes chicago, chicago
Yeah, I heard of something like that. It was called Taste of Chicago and was overrun by gangs and arrests. And the friendly CPD.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:47 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
Wasn't saying where they were at, they get both...
It gets people from everywhere. That's kind of the point. It's one of the biggest cities in the world.

Quote:
Wasn't saying from Chicago to these... I'm talking about "from random place in U.S." to X
Oh. You've never met anyone that moved to Chicago just to move there? I have.

Quote:
of course people don't move from Chicago to these other cities b/c they assume they have this big great best city in the u.s. and everything nyc has but a lower COL, isn't that the non-literal motto on this site? Couldn't be farther from the truth...
I've lived in both. Not too much of a difference, really. One's bigger than the other. Try living in Hawaii or Europe or the Far East. Lots of American cities are very much the same, and Chicago and New York are two the most like cities of the nation.

Quote:
Minny/D-Town... okay, take out the current economy... and it *would* be diversified... msa pops are bout the same when combined. esp if u take d-town from 10-20 years ago.
Oh, so you didn't mean Minneapolis and Detroit now, you meant the more vibrant Detroit from 20 years ago. Okay.

Quote:
minnesota has culture...
Sure- all places do. I never said it didn't.

Quote:
detroit is right next to lake erie and another sizeable lake, right?
No and no.

Quote:
minnesota is the lake state...think that is covered...
I...don't think so. I can't tell if you're kidding or not, to be quite honest, because some of the **** you're saying is very dumb. You think lakes in and around the Twin City metro 'cover' Lake Michigan? Are you high?

Quote:
note these #'s are approximate off top of my head...
Seems like a lot of what you're saying is off the top of your head. That's...not a good thing, it seems.

Old 04-12-2009, 08:53 PM

5 posts, read 22,046 times
yeah i guess your right, if you've been to the southside of chicago. buddy, people wouldn't go downtown if what you said were true. besides, if gangs is what you expect, then by all means why don't you take a visit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City