Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:24 AM

13,255 posts, read 12,133,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Why do you learn asking direct questions as opposed to asking where I live to build you argument on that? I already said I stay in Lincoln Park while in Chicago and admire the "beautiful" Fullerton with potholes roughly the size of Geo Metro.
I didn't ask what neighborhood you stayed in while in Chicago. I asked what neighborhood you live in.

I live in Wrigleyville in Chicago.

And you live in __________ in New York?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:29 AM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
Bet I've lived in/visited more exciting places than you, and here I am happy and fulfilled in Chicago. Go figure.
You lost.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Yeah, yeah, yeah. I understand you are very proud. Chicago is so much livelier than Iowa. Seems like capital of the world in comparison, right?
No, we don't have that complex. We think Chicago is a city...not the capital of the world. Sorry to tell you but NYC is not the capital of the world either. What city would make such an arrogant and FALSE statement?

Old 03-20-2009, 10:39 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,453 times
Quote:
You lost.
Says you, and your credibility is exceptional.

Sorry to not fit into your profile, but yes world travelers who have lived in international cities can indeed find happiness in Chicago.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM

Dementor. What neighborhood do you live in in NYC? You still haven't answered my question.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:44 AM

208 posts, read 633,957 times
Chicago....dunno why. Love the way the Sears Tower looks above all of the others.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:47 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,560,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
Dementor. What neighborhood do you live in in NYC? You still haven't answered my question.
My guess...Cleveland. Not that there's anything wrong with Cleveland, but that would explain the Chicago obsession.

Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,367,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownoe View Post
^^ Some of you New Yorkers need to get over this size complex. Really...it does not reflect on you at all as an individual. It's just a bunch of buildings...don't jump off a bridge because another city has more highrises...or is denser.

Also, Chicago and New York's skylines are nothing alike. That's blasphemy.

Also...how can you look at those photos of those Asian cities (photos...not somebody's opinion) and not think that those cities have more highrises and are more dense?? It show's that you have no critical thinking skills.

Now back to the topic of skylines. Since your argument of quantity has been proven wrong...what's your next argument? Architecture, aesthetics, balance are all still on the table...pick one.
Skyline Aesthetics and balance go to Chicago. Mix of architecture that stands out, and the shape is cohesive; in the center the supertalls are balanced out and great mix of buildings in between, finally tailing off to the north and south.

Old 03-20-2009, 12:18 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,125 times
Quote:
I disagree. I like the fact that in New York I can walk to the grocery store.
New York for me is a much more "user friendly" experience as opposed to Chicago when you struggle with one absurdity after another. Chicago is absolutely disorganized. Form snow removal to postal service and CTA, nothing works as it should. I blame the notorious "I do not care" mentality.
Walk to a grocery store in NYC? Maybe, maybe not. NYC throws the term "grocercy store" aound pretty loosely. Alot of them are not much different than large bodegas. I ALWAYS was able to walk to several grocery stores (real ones, 'supermarkets') while living in Chicago.

NYC is in NO WAY MORE "user friendly" than Chicago. In fact, it's the complete opposite. Almost EVERYTHING you do in NYC is a struggle. Alot of the busineeses are extremely small and VERY hard to move around in. Not to mention if you do have to drive, the business probably won't have parking, and if it does, it'll be small, tight, with few if any spaces available.

The laundrymat's in NYC are beyond pitiful, 3rd word like.

Snow removal? NYC hardly gets any snow, and when it does? It always looked alot less prepared than Chicago does.

Old 03-20-2009, 03:10 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,213,079 times
Quote:
You lost.
Why don't we just call a truce and make out for awhile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City