Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,472 times

Advertisements

LOL- Who cares? I'm not ultra-defensive about where I live, nor is my self-esteem lacking so I need to hype up my place of residence.

I mean, that was your response? OH YEAH WELL HONOLULU SUCKS!

Good one, tell your friends at school about it tomorrow!

Old 03-23-2009, 07:29 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post

That's hilarious. New York didn't invent theater but HEY EVERYONE IT INVENTED THEATER ON BROADWAY!!! NOT THAT ANY OTHER CITY COULD INVENT A SHOW ON A STREET IN NEW YORK BUT WHO CARES!

New York didn't invent the concept of a renaissance, but HEY EVERYONE THERE WAS A RENAISSANCE IN ONE OF OUR NEIGHBORHOODS!!!!

New York didn't invent finance but HEY WE HAVE A BIG FINANCIAL MARKET!!!

New York didn't invent news magazines but HEY WE HAVE TWO OF THEM!!!

I don't think you actually understand what 'originality' means in this respect.

As far as the UN goes, San Francisco 'gave' the world that, if you consider holding a meeting in a city meaning that the city invented it. Which would be borderline retarded, but okay.
I bet you do not have a college degree.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:30 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,125 times
Quote:
LOL- Who cares? I'm not ultra-defensive about where I live, nor is my self-esteem lacking so I need to hype up my place of residence.

I mean, that was your response? OH YEAH WELL HONOLULU SUCKS!

Good one, tell your friends at school about it tomorrow!
No need to tell anyone, words already out..........

Old 03-23-2009, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I bet you do not have a college degree.
You lost. Degree in IR from College Park.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Is that a 'credited' college?....

Old 03-23-2009, 07:34 PM

Why don't you google 'college park' and find out? I guess all your travels never sent you to DC?

Old 03-23-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Why don't you google 'college park' and find out? I guess all your travels never sent you to DC?
I think that college is one of those 'Carribean' ones.........

Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Actually, your facts are wrong. Mannhattan was NYC until the annex in 1898. Mannhattan population today is around 1.6 million. Both Brooklyn and Queens has populations over 2 million. Brooklyn at 2.5 million, and Queens at 2.2 million.
I'm not saying present day Manhattan, I'm talking about Manhattan at the turn of the 20th Century.

Quote:
Really? Can someone remind this genius that New York is located on three islands and an peninsula so the available land was limited by default.
Did you think New York is more densely populated city by accident"
Thank you for the genius comment, but I think your insults would have more of a punch if you used correct grammar. Its A peninsula. Do you honestly think that when New York was founded they had any idea that it would one day be a city of over 8 million a region to 21 million? Of course not. The location was chosen because it was ideal for ports. They didn't think it would be anything it is today. There goes your limited land theory.

Quote:
The best Cosmopolitan city in the US? That's a statement with no supporting evidence hence useless here. What exactly makes Chicago cosmopolitan? There are no international bodies like UN located in Chicago, no international organizations, no international cultural events, no international media organizations, no international sporting events it is not even an international port like New York??? What makes Chicago the best Cosmopolitan city besides your vivid imagination???

Also, are you seriously asking what is original about New York? For one thing New York was incorporated over a hundread years before Chicago so many things you find in Chicago were simply borrowed from New York. Specifically New York gave the world: bagels, bialys, Tin Pan Alley, Broadway Theater, Harlem Renaissance, hip-hop, New York Times, Wall Street, United Nations, Times, Newseek, the most extensive public transportation system in the US, the world's largest store (Macy's). Should I lsit what companies are headquartered in New York???
This was a very short, off-the top of my head list but I can't believe you actually asked this question.
. New York is the best international city, Chicago is the best Cosmopolitan city. Also, I laughed a lot at your last paragraph. I didn't know NYC invented theater, the Renaissance, magazines, or economics! Good for them!

Quote:
This must be this famous Chicago logic I heard so much about. Chicago is smaller so it could not grow in size, it had to build up Why?
Of course this is a non-sense, Spire, Chicago has been growing by annexing land surrounding it while New York had no other choice but to build up. It is located on three islands and a peninsula, you know.
As a result New York's skyline is an extention of city's success and reflects its density and growth while Chicago's skyline, for the most part much younger, is just an expression of Midwestern megallomania.
Haven't you claimed to live in Chicago during some portions of the year? What knowledge is there to be heard of IF you lived here. What city doesn't annex? New York has even had to annex. Chicago just got stopped by suburbs that didn't want to be annexed. To say that's the only reason the city has grown is crazy. You're basically trying to say that Chicago should be a sprawled city. I'm sorry it's not.

You CLEARLY base your facts off of what you've heard since its quite obvious you've never been within 100 miles of Chicago and the same probably holds true for New York.

Why don't you take a little time to enjoy something in life other than your obsession with Chicago. Is it really all you ever think about? You spend hours coming up with arguments only to be shut down by nearly everyone posting on this forum. Anyway, just a suggestion.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:41 PM

LOL So you didn't google it, I guess. Wow, you've been completely owning yourself tonight- between not knowing what the University of Maryland is called and thinking you're Indiana Jones for appreciating your anecdotal experience over actual research, you've really made a name for yourself tonight.

Old 03-23-2009, 07:43 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
In that case, try again, maybe a little slower:
1) Broadway Theater Broadway theatre - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
2) Harlem Renessaince Harlem Renaissance - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Look up Tin Pan Alley, bagel, bialy, hip-hop on your own.

What puts New York ahead of all other US cities and most of the cities in the world is the tremendous conglomeration of big business and culture.
Yes, New York did not invent newspapers yet New York times is the only American newspaper with a global circulation. New York did not invent theater yet there is no other place on the planet with 39 supersized theaters. New York did not invent United Nations yet the organization is headquartered here and no other city can claims such an honor.

Now back to my original question, what makes Chicago "the best Cosmopolitan city"? I just can't find any documentation for that silly claim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City