Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,530 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
...And this makes any sense or valid argument because...?
OK. Since you go to Chicago schools I'll try again, this time a little slower with the most important part in bold:

New York has 27,147 people per sq mi and Chicago 12,649 per sq mi.
Which city had more reasons to build up? The one with lower density or higher? Is the density result of abundance of available land or lack of thereof?

Remember, my conclusion was that New York skyline is a result of a real need while Chicago's a result of megallomania...

Old 03-23-2009, 08:45 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
Stand up comedy part II.

What makes Chicago "the best cosmopolitan city" in eyes of a Chicagoan:

Really? Why don't you take it up with Chicago Tribune then? It seems to have a different opinion about that:
Chicago, America's most segregated big city - Chicago Tribune
Anyways, all of American cities are extremely diverse today. Chicago is not unique here. Why would you call it the best cosmopolitan city?

There are ethnic parades all over the country, New York, LA, SF and most other cities.

Good one. Why don't you read that Chicago Tribune article again. The link is at the top of this post.

Even if I agreed, what does it make Chicago the best cosmopolitan city?

Again, even if I agreed, how does it make the city cosmopolitan?

I think you are joking, the city has only a handfull of theaters and some boring Midwestern food but.... even if, how does it make Chicago the best cosmopolitan city?

Other stuff? Sorry, do not believe in stuff, just data.

No. You got it reversed. New York is an international city because it has international magazines, art, business and politics. Shortly, international presence and influence of which Chicago has NONE.

Again, how does it make Chicago the best cosmopolitan city?

As everyone can see talking to a true Chicagoan takes a lot of strength....

Nobody puts a Chicagoan in their place better than you Dem! You get a Chicago style 's up!

Chicago gets lamer by the minute when I start to think about it!.....

Old 03-23-2009, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Just an FYI that Trib article I believe is either a blog or editorial. However Chicago is one of the nations most racist cities or at least in my mind thats how I see it.
Chicago is lame! Boring and reserved Midwest city!.... And it makes me mad!......

Old 03-23-2009, 08:49 PM

Quote:
The Empire State Building was one of the first buildings to be built using Chicago's method of constructing skyscrapers. Does that mean it invented the skyscraper...no.
Do you mean Chicago invented steel beams and bricks? No.

Quote:
If you're going to try and prove me wrong, use something other than Wikipedia. I can go edit that page right now to say whatever I want to it to say..
Really? Find another source that contradicts Wikipedia then...

Last edited by dementor; 03-23-2009 at 09:11 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Just an FYI that Trib article I believe is either a blog or editorial. However Chicago is one of the nations most racist cities or at least in my mind thats how I see it.
I think it was an actual article, the authors are Tribune staffers. aahmed@tribune.com dlittle@tribune.com

Anyways, when I first come to Chicago from New York I heard stories from my black coworkers that reminded me of the '60... Then I heard about the Brown Bag census and other parts of Chicago history like uniting white Dems and Reps against a Black mayoral candidate. Unbelievable. Chicago a cosmopolitan city? Yeah, right.

That's typical about Chicagoans and their Midwestern power of denial: they would vote for a black President but not for a black mayor nor they would like to see blacks moving to their neighborhoods. Selective racism?

Last edited by dementor; 03-23-2009 at 09:17 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 09:15 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,213 times
Quote:
I think it was an actuall article, the authors are Tribune staffers.

Anyways, when I first come to Chicago from New York I heard stories from my black coworkers that reminded me of the '60... Then I heard about the Brown Bag census and other parts of Chicago history like uniting white Dems and Reps against a Black mayoral candidate. Unbelievable. Chicago a cosmopolitan city? Yeah, right.
I thought you didn't like the Tribune.

And ask black New Yorkers about the NYPD.
Study: 80% of those stopped by NYPD black and Hispanic - USATODAY.com
NYC In Shock After Sean Bell Trial - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/sean.bell.verdict.2.708321.html - broken link)

Old 03-23-2009, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post

NYC In Shock After Sean Bell Trial - wcbstv.com (http://wcbstv.com/local/sean.bell.verdict.2.708321.html - broken link)

First of all I am disputing the statement that "Chicago is the best cosmopolitan" city.
Second, Simply complaining that 80% of police stop in NY involved Black / Hispanics suspects does not mean the stopp were not legitimate... We all know about a huge racial gap in prison population so it is hard to say simply looking at the stats that the stops were not justified. It's the same as you would say that disproportionate Black population in US prisons is an effect of racism across the country. It is not that simple.
I would rather bring your attention to the fact that New York is much safer, i.e. has much lower crime rates in all of the categories including murder than Chicago.

Last edited by dementor; 03-23-2009 at 09:43 PM..

Old 03-23-2009, 09:29 PM

Quote:
First of all I am diusputing the statement that Chicago is the best cosmopolitan city since I do not understand what is cosmopolitan about it.
Second, 80% of police stop in NY involved Black / Hispanics suspects but how do we knwo if the stop were legitimate or not? We all know about a huge racial gap in prison population so it is hard to say simply looking at the stats that the stops were not justified.
I say, beat 'em to an inch of their life!....

Old 03-23-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post

When ain't they about something?....

Old 03-23-2009, 09:43 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,213 times
Quote:
First of all I am diusputing the statement that Chicago is the best cosmopolitan city since I do not understand what is cosmopolitan about it.
Second, 80% of police stop in NY involved Black / Hispanics suspects but how do we knwo if the stop were legitimate or not? We all know about a huge racial gap in prison population so it is hard to say simply looking at the stats that the stops were not justified.
Sure, just ignore Sean Bell. An unarmed man shot 50 times by NYPD?

How about the black kid with a hairbrush? How many times did the NYPD shoot him?

Those in glass houses and all...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City