Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 04:13 PM

4,383 posts, read 16,770,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Let ME remind YOU, that I was 'responding' to someone. I didn't bring Pittsburgh into the mix, someone else did!.....
Let me remind you all that this is a SKYLINE thread about NEW YORK AND CHICAGO

Old 03-24-2009, 04:14 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
And you better where am I from Back to your post, your logic is flawed, your post implies that celebrities floc to New York because it has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. It is the other way around, the real estate in New York is so expensive because the city is so appealing.
The point about clebrities is that Chicago does not offer much or not enough to make itself appealeing to people with means. It's cultural life, no matter how many praises you sing, is not as vibrant as you present it as it is largely ignored with our cultural elite. There is not much going on in Chicago hence topics such as hotdogs. Are you surprised that celebrities do not want to be a part of this?
Correction, MANHATTAN is appealing. You wouldn't find a Celebrity outside of Manhattan. Anyway, I'm done arguing with you and your nonsense. You have no idea what you're saying. You just talk and talk and talk even when everyone is proving you wrong. Until you say something crazy again (which won't be long I promise you), I'm done talking to you.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:17 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My friend from Chicago must be lying. She must have some inferiority complex. She actually thinks that the ENTIRE Manhattan island would fit into Chicago's downtown . Also said how it would take like 10 Manhattan's to fill Chicago or something.
Mannhattan is 24 sq miles big. Chicago's downtown is NO WHERE NEAR that in size, not even CLOSE! Her saying that it would take 10 Mannhattan's to fill Chicago is correct. But that's if she means the ENTIRE city of Chicago, which is like 230 sq miles big.

Does she realize than Mannhattan is ONLY 1 of the 5 boroughs that make up NYC? And that NYC is actually 330 sq miles big!

Old 03-24-2009, 04:22 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
Correction, MANHATTAN is appealing. You wouldn't find a Celebrity outside of Manhattan.

Huh? There are plenty of celebs who live in Park slope in Brooklyn. Brooklyn is the second most popular borough next to Manhattan when it comes to celeb homes in NYC.

Old 03-24-2009, 04:23 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,074,125 times
Quote:
Correction, MANHATTAN is appealing. You wouldn't find a Celebrity outside of Manhattan. Anyway, I'm done arguing with you and your nonsense. You have no idea what you're saying. You just talk and talk and talk even when everyone is proving you wrong. Until you say something crazy again (which won't be long I promise you), I'm done talking to you.
Correction, you WILL find a celeb outside of Mannhattan. The place is called Long Island....

Old 03-24-2009, 04:26 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gichicago View Post
Chicago has a very vibrant progressive restaurant culture; one that NYC cannot even surpass. You have restaurants like Alinea, Schwa, Blackbird, Moto, L20 that are at the forefront of modern cuisine.
That's your opinion and since you dined all around the world you have to know better, right? According to folks in Restaurant Magazine however the top 50 restaurants in the world are as listed below. Note that Alinea ranked 21 while the other Chicago restaruant Charlie Trotter's ranked 38 but there are four New York reataurants on that list of which three are ranked higher than any restaurant in Chicago including Alinea.
The other Chicago restaurants are not even listed there so I assume they are on the forefront of not modern but Midwestern cuisine, at best...
Again, Chicagoland is making big inflated claims withouth even worrying about providing any supporting evidence.
That's laughable.

World's best restaurants 2008 winners list:
  1. El Bulli, Roses, Catalonia, Spain (Best in Europe)
  2. The Fat Duck, Bray-on-Thames, UK
  3. Pierre Gagnaire, Paris, France
  4. Mugaritz, San Sebastián, Spain (Chef's Choice)
  5. The French Laundry, California, USA (Best in the Americas)
  6. per se, New York, USA
  7. Bras, Laguiole, France
  8. Arzak, San Sebastián, Spain
  9. Tetsuya's, Sydney, Australia (Best in Australasia)
  10. Noma, Copenhagen, Denmark
  11. L'Astrance, Paris, France
  12. Gambero Rosso, San Vincenzo, Italy
  13. Restaurant Gordon Ramsay, London, UK
  14. L'Atelier de Joël Robuchon, Paris, France
  15. Restaurant Le Louis XV, Monaco
  16. St John, London, UK (Highest Climber)
  17. Jean-Georges, New York, USA
  18. Alain Ducasse au Plaza Athénée, Paris, France
  19. Hakkasan, London, UK
  20. Le Bernardin, New York, USA
  21. Alinea, Chicago, USA
  22. Le Gavroche, London, UK
  23. Dal Pescatore, Canneto sull'Oglio (Mantova), Italy
  24. Le Cinq, Paris, France
  25. Troisgros, Roanne, France
  26. El Celler de Can Roca, Girona, Spain
  27. +L'Hotel de Ville - Philippe Rochat, Crissier, Switzerland
  28. Hof van Cleve, Kruishoutem, Belgium
  29. Martin Berasategui, San Sebastián, Spain
  30. Nobu London, London, UK
  31. Can Fabes, Sant Celoni, Catalonia, Spain
  32. Enoteca Pinchiorri, Florence, Italy
  33. +Le Meurice, Paris, France
  34. *Vendome, Bergisch Gladbach, Germany
  35. +Die Schwarzwaldstube, Baiersbronn im Schwarzwald, Germany
  36. Le Calandre, Padua, Italy
  37. Chez Panisse, Berkeley, California, USA
  38. Charlie Trotter's, Chicago, USA
  39. Chez Dominique, Helsinki, Finland
  40. DOM, São Paulo, Brazil (Best in Latin America)
  41. Daniel, New York, USA
  42. Oud Sluis, Sluis, Netherlands
  43. Ristorante Cracco, Milan, Italy
  44. +Asador Etxebarri, Atxondo, Biscay, Spain
  45. Les Ambassadeurs, Paris, France
  46. L'Arpège, Paris, France
  47. +Tantris, Munich, Germany
  48. Oaxen Skärgårdskrog, Oaxen, Sweden
  49. Rockpool, Sydney, Australia
  50. Le Quartier Français, Franschhoek, South Africa (Best in Mid East & Africa)
Restaurant (magazine) Top 50 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by dementor; 03-24-2009 at 04:56 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 04:35 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,947,320 times
^^You mean there are no restaurants on that list in Atlanta and Houston???? I'm shocked, those cities are so world-class

Old 03-24-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Running with the tail between your legs as expected Good. You got it all wrong, again, buddy. Celebrities live all around NY metro, for example Baldwins, Billy Joel and Howard Stern live in Long Island, Letterman in New Jersey and Paul Newman used to live in Connecticut until his death. Those were just examples not the full list.
Tri-state area is full of celebrities, the city and region attracts the cutting edge personalities. They do however avoid Chicago despite it's "vibrant culture" and "great food". Do you guys know how to draw conclusions?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
You will come to realize that people could care less about where celebrities choose to live.

They choose New York and LA because that's where the major media companies are located.

So they choose those cities. Do you think if asked their opinion on Chicago they'd say it sucks simply because the don't live there?
We simply state that if Chicago's cultural life and oveall quality was as high as presented here in this forum you would see more celebrities (arts, media, science, culture, business) moving here to take advantage of it. It does not happen so maybe the quality of Chicago is not as high as you think it is? On the other hand, you will not have the top quality arts, culture, business, etc without celebrity actors, director, producers, singers, authors etc etc.
You can say you do not care for celebrities but then who is going to make the city cutting edge and world-class? Mediocre actors, directors, designers or authors?

Do you really think that media companies bring celebrities to the area? Media companies have nothing to do with the fact that Baldwins live in Long Island, there are no movie studios there. Or the fact that Sting has moved to New York, it is simply the quality of life there, the available resources that make the city so appealing. I do not think you have to ask them if Chicago sucks but by choosing New York over Chicago 'en masse' they clearly state their sentiment, don't they?

Last edited by dementor; 03-24-2009 at 05:04 PM..

Old 03-24-2009, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
My friend from Chicago must be lying. She must have some inferiority complex. She actually thinks that the ENTIRE Manhattan island would fit into Chicago's downtown . Also said how it would take like 10 Manhattan's to fill Chicago or something.
She got it wrong, the entire Chicago downtonw (the Loop) would fit into Central Park. It is amazing though how ignorant some folks in Chicago are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City