Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 02:25 PM

734 posts, read 2,053,419 times

Advertisements

LOL pittsteelerfan. I think he's just having fun with it- he knows everyone's laughing along with it. dem really doesn't know it, though.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:27 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,072,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
No, I hate soft pretzels. it was just a culmination of know-it-all comments.

Pittsburgh's not a bad place, I was just surprised how little pride there is in the city.
Paaalease with that. Go into a bar and start bum-rapping Pittsburgh. More than likely, someone will end up smacking you. Pittsburgh'ers just have a different outlook on things compared to most any other place. Most Pittsburgh'ers ain't afraid to point out their faults, and that includes the 'city' of Pittsburgh. A Pittsburgh'er to me, has a lot more realistic outlook on life, than most people that you'll ever come across.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:30 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Paaalease with that. Go into a bar and start bum-rapping Pittsburgh. More than likely, someone will end up smacking you. Pittsburgh'ers just have a different outlook on things compared to most any other place. Most Pittsburgh'ers ain't afraid to point out their faults, and that includes the 'city' of Pittsburgh. A Pittsburgh'er to me, has a lot more realistic outlook on life, than most people that you'll ever come across.
It's kind of hard to not point out faults when you live not only in a declining city, but a declining region. At least Detroit's metro area continues to grow, its just the city that's collapsing.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:37 PM

1,060 posts, read 1,558,213 times
Quote:
I have no reason to bum rap Pittsburgh - well, besides the state-run beer stores. But when I say loathe, I don't mean pointing out the negatives. The people I spoke to hated living there and couldn't wait to get out but realized they were stuck. It's a shame

Old 03-24-2009, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
It's kind of hard to not point out faults when you live not only in a declining city, but a declining region. At least Detroit's metro area continues to grow, its just the city that's collapsing.
Pittsbugh's unemployment rates I believe is at around 6%, maybe a little less. Pittsburgh realestste is one of the ONLY major metro's that property vaules increased, by 1% I believe.

I think you should read the article that CNN Anderson Cooper just did on comparing Detroit with Pittsburgh, and how that Detroit could learn FROM Pittsburgh.

Detroit is on the brink of complete collaspe! Pittsburgh is FAR from that! PNC (a bank in Pittsburgh who didn't get into the mess the rest of them did nationwide), is bank rolling a new skyscaper there.

If you thinking that a city's core isn't important, you're VERY ignornant! Those high paying jobs in the 'city', is what substains the burbs. It's not the other way around!

Old 03-24-2009, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hendu View Post
I have no reason to bum rap Pittsburgh - well, besides the state-run beer stores. But when I say loathe, I don't mean pointing out the negatives. The people I spoke to hated living there and couldn't wait to get out but realized they were stuck. It's a shame
That could be said about a lot of Northern cities (especially the rust belt ones). Why do you think all those 'sunbelt' cities have grown by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years? Where do you think all those people where coming from, Pittsburgh? NYC and Chicago have a VERY high influx of 'new' immigrants every year to keep their growth up. If not, I'm sure you'd see some declining numbers as well.

Old 03-24-2009, 02:52 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,230 times
Quote:
That could be said about a lot of Northern cities (especially the rust belt ones). Why do you think all those 'sunbelt' cities have grown by leaps and bounds in the last 20 years? Where do you think all those people where coming from, Pittsburgh? NYC and Chicago have a VERY high influx of 'new' immigrants every year to keep their growth up. If not, I'm sure you'd see some declining numbers as well.
You're forgeting what also keeps are economy up is the amount of wealthy residents, media and entertainment, and cultural things, etc

Economy of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-24-2009, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
You're forgeting what also keeps are economy up is the amount of wealthy residents, media and entertainment, and cultural things, etc

Economy of New York City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
No, I'm not forgetting any of that. It's kinda common sense that someone who has a good paying job, is going to be less likely to leave that city, than someone who's under employed or laid off.

Media? Does anybody choose to live somewhere based on news coverage?...

Entertainment and culture 'if' you can afford them. Somebody who's struggling to make ends meet, could care less about those things, especially the "culture".

And those things you just listed, do you really believe that a sunbely city is superior to Pittsburgh? Especially in culture?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:02 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,290,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
What, are you serious? Because A-List celebrities live in NYC its better? NYC is the nations largest city and has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. Of course they are going to live there...if L.A didn't have Hollywood it wouldn't even be on any Celebs map...whats your point of Celebrities living in a city? You're not even from New York or Chicago.
And you better where am I from Back to your post, your logic is flawed, your post implies that celebrities floc to New York because it has some of the most expensive real estate in the world. It is the other way around, the real estate in New York is so expensive because the city is so appealing.
The point about clebrities is that Chicago does not offer much or not enough to make itself appealeing to people with means. It's cultural life, no matter how many praises you sing, is not as vibrant as you present it as it is largely ignored with our cultural elite. There is not much going on in Chicago hence topics such as hotdogs. Are you surprised that celebrities do not want to be a part of this?

Old 03-24-2009, 03:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,021,230 times
Quote:
No, I'm not forgetting any of that. It's kinda common sense that someone who has a good paying job, is going to be less likely to leave that city, than someone who's under employed or laid off.

Media? Does anybody choose to live somewhere based on news coverage?...

Entertainment and culture 'if' you can afford them. Somebody who's struggling to make ends meet, could care less about those things, especially the "culture".

And those things you just listed, do you really believe that a sunbely city is superior to Pittsburgh? Especially in culture?
Media, is not just news but Movies, TV Shows, Music, World top Book, magazine and News Publishers, 7 out of the 8 top advertisng agencies, etc

Entertainment and Culture in NYC also contains Film, Music, Alot of events are free and funded by the government such as cultural events to. Then You got some of the best museums in the world, etc.

Also i forgot to mention Tourism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City