Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 04:42 PM

1,624 posts, read 3,292,578 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
If you want, I'll give you a rough, off-the-cuff sampling. These events are "International"-- meaning they are attended by and targeted to an international, as well as national, audience:

Taste of Chicago
Lollapalooza
Chicago Int'l Film Festival
Blues Festival
I think it's fair to also include the major conventions at McCormick Place
Perhaps the Olympics (--oh right-- that may be a sore subject for you).
Do you really believe what you are saying here? Is your Midwesten inferiority complex so deep that you would try pretend the mentioned above events are international? I can assure you most of them are not even famous nationally. Who outside of Chicago heard of Taste of Chicago? What international restaurants are represented there? Olympics? They have not happened yet and msot likely will not eve happane in Chicago.

International events are those that are targeted at international audience, have international representation and are advertised in international or foreign media. There are not even national events in Chicago. Besides the Olympics which let me remind have not happened yet, which of the events you listed qualify?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
Finally, your comment-- and I quote below-- forever removes whatever miniscule thread of credibility you ever had. This may be the most asinine quote you've ever made. I may forward it to Guinness. Your quote: "I think it is time for you to revise your opinion about importance of Chicago's buildings and city's skyline. It's nice but that's all. There is no significance. No impact." I think your little NYC pals may even call you out on that-- if they're honest.
Do you really think that a lot of people outside of Chicago ever seen Sears or Hancock? Sears maybe the tallest but this is it. Nobody cares. There is no historicla significance to those buidlings, there is nothing located in them that would warrant broader attention. Sorry guy.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:45 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,472 times
LOL You continue to ask for international events, receive them, then say "Oh, those don't count!".

Old 03-26-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
You've lied about being from Chicago, New York, and probably countless others. If I browsed through all of your post I'm sure I'd find one saying you live in L.A, Miami, Houston, and many MANY more.

Maybe you should wait with your comment until you find those post or find posts? I never lied about living in New York and spenidng time, you can call it living, in Chicago. Find a post that contradicts what I just said if you do not believe me... Everyone else can do the same.

Quote:
A city can make anything it wants a landmark. There are countless Chicago landmarks that aren't U.S Landmarks

That's why we do not talk about them. We focus on what the federal government considers historically significant building and it is clear that New York wins this fight hands down: 108 historical landmarks against 37 in Chicago.
And look at the list, in New York Empire, Flatiron, Chrysler, Metlife and some other tall building are listed as US landmarks while Chicago's list does not contain any of the supposedly famous tall buildings. Do you get it?

Quote:
Who are you to tell me my credibility is gone when yours has been gone for the past 80 or so pages. You've made countless personal attacks. Even more of a hypocrite than I thought you where! If you want to keep this argument (THAT YOU ARE CLEARLY LOOSING) going, please continue your pointless bashing of Chicago.
It's not that pointless, I am stuck in here and I want the world to know the truth about this pathetic excuse for a city. I do not want anybody else to make the same mistake.

Old 03-26-2009, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
LOL You continue to ask for international events, receive them, then say "Oh, those don't count!".
Why would I accept something that does not meet the criteria? I asked for internationla events and instead got a list of local events. Good you did not list any high school plays or cheese festivals....
What exactly is "international" about the Taste of Chicago? Any international represenation, international media attention? Try harder but you already know that international and national media generally disregard all of the Chicago's "international" events.

Look at NY Fashion Week or US Open. Do you see a difference?

Old 03-26-2009, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well I do agree with what he says for the most part, but I just think it's pointless to keep arguing when the same topics keep being brought up lol.
I am persistent and having a lot of fun watching those guys sweat. They know really well what I am talking about

Old 03-26-2009, 05:37 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
I am persistent and having a lot of fun watching those guys sweat. They know really well what I am talking about
How are we sweating when you prove you wrong with every argument you pursue? You definitely don't have ANY idea of what you are talking about. You live somewhere in the Midwest, probably Indiana or something like that, and you have an immense hate for Chicago because it steals all of the attention you probably wouldn't get anyway.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,666 times
Quote:
How are we sweating when you prove you wrong with every argument you pursue? You definitely don't have ANY idea of what you are talking about. You live somewhere in the Midwest, probably Indiana or something like that, and you have an immense hate for Chicago because it steals all of the attention you probably wouldn't get anyway.
Well as i was reading through pages after my last post Dementor has brought out the arrogance in some chicago posters. I mean really. Alot of those buildings in chicago are not known by most people or atleast people ive met across the east coast and people from different parts of the country and from other countries. While New York has alot more architecturally known buildings than Chicago. To say that NYC has nothing else than a few architectural gems makes you sound like a fool. Notice how you didnt provide any evidence showing chicago has better architecture.

Old 03-26-2009, 06:10 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,908 times
Too much bullying going on here. Way too much. Chicago and New York possess the two greatest skylines in the country (unequivocally) - can't we just be friends?

Old 03-26-2009, 06:19 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityGuy View Post
Well as i was reading through pages after my last post Dementor has brought out the arrogance in some chicago posters. I mean really. Alot of those buildings in chicago are not known by most people or atleast people ive met across the east coast and people from different parts of the country and from other countries. While New York has alot more architecturally known buildings than Chicago. To say that NYC has nothing else than a few architectural gems makes you sound like a fool. Notice how you didnt provide any evidence showing chicago has better architecture.
Read: CHICAGO SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE

Read the links I supplied. Chicago is basically the mecca of architecture. If people on the East Coast don't know about it it's because they're provincial. I've lived in several places on both coasts, several places in between, and now in HI. Basically, anyone who lives all their life in one place is no expert on what goes on in other places.

Dem, the Taste is the largest food festival in the world. People come from around the world. Christ, just google the damn thing. This is another one of those no-brainer things, like Hancock. All you do is highlight your own ignorance by repeatedly asking for proof that water is wet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City