Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times

Advertisements

Lucas, shut it.

Someone please lock this ridiculous thread.

Old 03-27-2009, 05:46 PM

734 posts, read 2,054,629 times
lol euro

Old 03-27-2009, 06:00 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
lol euro
Did you find that amusing?

Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,899 times
Quote:
LOL no, all four of them are known as being incredible architectural structures. Anyway, you wish that I had a short attention span so that I would forget your initial argument. It was wrong. In the world of architecture, Chicago is more important that New York. Most architects agree that Chicago has more- and certainly more per capita- architecturally significant buildings.

You were proven wrong there, and to avoid having to face that you latched upon Spire's ignorant comment about New York not having many 'nice buildings. No one is arguing that he is wrong- he obviously is. But you were wrong yourself in the first place, in a much bigger way.
You have issues, you sound just like Dementor. I quoted you based on you or whoever quoted me and obviously highlighted a certain section meaning they were focusing on that topic. You just want to come out of nowhere starting trouble about a mistake. Just because i didnt say anything does mean i have too. Today NY is getting architecturally better buildings than chicago.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
Did you find that amusing?
Yeah, I find about 99% of what you say amusing.

Quote:
You have issues, you sound just like Dementor. I quoted you based on you or whoever quoted me and obviously highlighted a certain section meaning they were focusing on that topic. You just want to come out of nowhere starting trouble about a mistake. Just because i didnt say anything does mean i have too. Today NY is getting architecturally better buildings than chicago.
Suuure.

Old 03-27-2009, 06:25 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,899 times
Quote:
Yeah, I find about 99% of what you say amusing.

Suuure.
ok show me major projects and ill show ours. 1-2 pics per project.

Old 03-27-2009, 07:10 PM

Stop trying to shift the goalposts! Go back to page 88-90. See how you were arguing New York was more influential architecturally? That it had more significant architectural buildings, and they were 'better'?

That's what is being discussed, regardless of your continued attempts to ignore that you were wrong change the subject. If you want to move on to another subject, that's fine- at least acknowledge that you were wrong before that, though.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:33 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,743 times
This thread has gone ****. Instead of people giving their opinions and their points in a logical way without bashing other people, we have turned very polar here. We have the "NYC is the greatest" club and Chicago's "not so fast" club.

What I hate about the New York side is that they call Chicago a midwest cultural wasteland or whatever, which to me, is pretty damn stupid thing to say. Yes, Chicago might not be as major as New York, not as internationl or influential as New York, and maybe not as great a skyline as New York, but nonetheless, it is still a MAJOR INTERNATIONAL CITY with an awesome world renowned skyline...period. That's all there is to it.

What I hate about the Chicago side is that they downplay New York, just like NY downplays Chicago. New York, to some of you, may be a dense crowded urban jungle that you dont want to deal with, but I personally think Manhattan is one of the best places to live in the WORLD. New York is the quintessential American city just like London is to Britain, Paris is to France, and Tokyo is to Japan. If there's any city that I do not want to downplay, it is New York.

I did not say New York is better than Chicago, or vice versa. But people here become so polarized that they bash each other and downplay each other's cities. It is stupid to downplay Chicago...and it is stupid to downplay New York.

New York might have all the bragging right because there is absolutely a plethora of reasons that makes New York truely a city on its own level.

Yet, that does not mean NY is better than Chicago. Chicagoans have their pride. Chicago to me, is flat out a better looking skyline, even if its significantly smaller than NY. But I could care less about sizes....the fact is Chicago has 100+ buildings over 500 ft which is more than impressive (and yes I know NY has over 200).

It is the psychology of arguing that you constntly fownplay other's opinions to the point where it really becomes stupid. If you don't like New York...well NY aint for u then, and if you dont like Chicago...o well. Both cities have great pride and that is a good thing but it is becoming stupid.

Old 03-27-2009, 08:47 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,743 times
Appreciate both cities...two great cities in the US. When I was in greece, everytime I heard the word "New York"...I felt a huge sense of American pride swell over my body. The words "New York" has never sounded so powerful to me since I was far from the American shores.

Since Chicago has a large Greek population as well, I hear the word "Chicago" too. It too, has never sounded so powerful to me. Chicago does everything big (NY too)...big business, big industry, big skyline, big skyscrapers etc.

What I found out overseas is that New York is almost always the first American city people think of. Chicago, interestingly, has a more dominant international reputation than national reputation. In America, Chicago is not THAT popular...we always hear New York, LA, Washington DC, and hell even Miami. But on the international level, Chicago is so much more prominent. People KNOW Chicago is one of America's largest and premiere cities, and it also represents (to a lesser extent of NY) American power.

Appreciate both cities. I love them both. I live in Philly...I visit NY all the time and never get tired of it. I wish I can visit Chicago more...it is more unknown but thats what makes it more interesting to me.

Old 03-27-2009, 09:14 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,631,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Libohove90 View Post
Appreciate both cities...two great cities in the US. When I was in greece, everytime I heard the word "New York"...I felt a huge sense of American pride swell over my body. The words "New York" has never sounded so powerful to me since I was far from the American shores.

Since Chicago has a large Greek population as well, I hear the word "Chicago" too. It too, has never sounded so powerful to me. Chicago does everything big (NY too)...big business, big industry, big skyline, big skyscrapers etc.

What I found out overseas is that New York is almost always the first American city people think of. Chicago, interestingly, has a more dominant international reputation than national reputation. In America, Chicago is not THAT popular...we always hear New York, LA, Washington DC, and hell even Miami. But on the international level, Chicago is so much more prominent. People KNOW Chicago is one of America's largest and premiere cities, and it also represents (to a lesser extent of NY) American power.

Appreciate both cities. I love them both. I live in Philly...I visit NY all the time and never get tired of it. I wish I can visit Chicago more...it is more unknown but thats what makes it more interesting to me.
Libohove-- welcome to the jungle.

BTW-- interesting comments re: Chicago's perceived reputation in Greece. Cuts against the grain of some things I've heard. In the U.S., Chicago is of course perceived as "that massive city in the Midwest" with a cool cache (esp. recently) and the State's middle man to NY and LA. Respected, appreciated and somewhat endeared, but shadowed nonetheless.

Globally-- I find (and have heard) Chicago is not as well known to the foreign masses. It's a big city, but the "shadowing" effect is more pronounced and acute. It's not the number one city (NY), it's not a media fixture/movies (LA), it's not the warm, tropical vacation spot (Miami), it's not Disney, and it's not the political center (DC). It's perceived as a large manufacturing --and increasingly as a financial/risk/professional services center anf tourist locale-- that still has a layaway sign for Capone (hard to fathom) and somewhat Jordan. I'm assuming there's a resurgence in knowledge about the city by virtue of Obama and the Olympics.

Your comments are well received and refreshing. Keep up the posts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City