Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2009, 08:35 PM

2,563 posts, read 3,630,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
I didn't say they were. You said "people ive met across the east coast and people from different parts of the country and from other countries. While New York has alot more architecturally known buildings than Chicago." Those people are the ones that are.

I don't think I am- I've lived for more than a year in several spots in the Midwest, East, and West Coasts. I've lived for two years in Korea, and now I'm in Hawaii. But if someone thinks that New York has a bunch of architectually significant buildings and Chicago doesn't? Yeah, they're just ignorant, and if they're from the NYC area, they're being provincial.

Also, google CHICAGO SCHOOL OF ARCHITECTURE. LOL it's not a literal college.
Did someone really think the Chicago School of Architecture was a school? Like with desks, and chalkboards and erasers? No...

Old 03-26-2009, 09:00 PM

464 posts, read 1,079,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
You are so far over your head and have been beaten to a pulp, you just spit out syllables and hope they form a phrase that has some semblance of coherence. Of course... they don't.

Are you really telling me (and -- everyone here), that Lollapalooza is not international? Really? How about Blues Fest where packages are promoted worldwide? Bluesfest dementor? Really? Tell me-- are these not international. Or, maybe you want to change the subject now to your day at the children's zoo or your terrible, life-altering trauma with potholes.

Again, answer the question we have asked of you. List New York's international events. Surely, a city of 20+ million must have dozens of them oozing from every sweaty NY pore. C'mon dementor, put up or shut up.

Oh-- and dementor-- if you're going to spend your entire afternoon trying to come up with a rebuttle... well, you should probably probably spend a couple of days on it. [but at least you added those really cool emotobot icons or whatever invented at Carnegie Mellon!!! Style points!]
that was amazing.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,774,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spire View Post
But NYC only has a few buildings everyone is familiar with. They are: The Empire State Building, The Chrysler Building, and The Flatiron. That's really about it. Don't say the WTC because they aren't there anymore.

You want evidence for Chicago having the best architecture?

Here you go. It says, and I quote:"Architectural firm RMJM Hillier put together a survey of the best cities in the U.S. for design. The results, released June 25, put Chicago at the top of the list, with New York a close second"

Ouch. That one hurt didn't it? It's more credible than your Wikipedia, and its by an Architectural Firm. I'm pretty sure they know what they are talking about.

Here's the link: The Best U.S. Cities, by Design - BusinessWeek
From your link:

Although the Big Apple outperformed the Windy City on several criteria (including its number of Community and Housing Awards—received for design excellence in residence building and community planning—and its overall collection of 17 AIA awards for innovative architecture), Peter Schubert, RMJM Hillier design director, says Chicago's position as a bright-green city tipped the scales.

"The green aspects of a city—its sustainability, environment-friendly initiatives—were the most important features of design we considered," he says. Schubert also cited Chicago's long history of architectural innovation and its reputation for being design-oriented as further reasons it took the top slot.

In other words, New York City has better buildings and urban design. Nice try, though.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
From your link:

Although the Big Apple outperformed the Windy City on several criteria (including its number of Community and Housing Awards—received for design excellence in residence building and community planning—and its overall collection of 17 AIA awards for innovative architecture), Peter Schubert, RMJM Hillier design director, says Chicago's position as a bright-green city tipped the scales.

"The green aspects of a city—its sustainability, environment-friendly initiatives—were the most important features of design we considered," he says. Schubert also cited Chicago's long history of architectural innovation and its reputation for being design-oriented as further reasons it took the top slot.

In other words, New York City has better buildings and urban design. Nice try, though.
You took it completely out of context. It says Chicago is better, that's the end of the line. NYC is better planned with its subway, but both cities are based off a grid...I don't see how one grid is better than another. Chicago's better, live with it.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:36 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,929,358 times
Quote:
From your link:

Maybe you need to go back one page and read the post by downtown 1 (as far as who has "better buildings.")

Old 03-26-2009, 09:51 PM

Quote:
You took it completely out of context. It says Chicago is better, that's the end of the line. NYC is better planned with its subway, but both cities are based off a grid...I don't see how one grid is better than another. Chicago's better, live with it.
Quote:
Although the Big Apple outperformed the Windy City on several criteria including its number of Community and Housing Awards—received for design excellence in residence building and community planning—and its overall collection of 17 AIA awards for innovative architecture)

Quote:
Although the Big Apple outperformed the Windy City on several criteria including its number of Community and Housing Awards—received for design excellence in residence building and community planning—and its overall collection of 17 AIA awards for innovative architecture)

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Read.

Old 03-26-2009, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NowInWI View Post
Maybe you need to go back one page and read the post by downtown 1 (as far as who has "better buildings.")
Um, I'll pass.

This topic really doesn't interest me since Chicago will always be below NYC (and even LA).

Old 03-26-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Um, I'll pass.

This topic really doesn't interest me since Chicago will always be below NYC (and even LA).
Chicago is blow NYC on an international level and will probably remain that way as long as NYC exist. The fact that you said Chicago is below L.A shows you are greatly threatened by the city. Let's be serious. L.A is barley above Houston.

Chicago > NYC in terms of their skylines. Please explain to me what's so appealing about NYC's skyline, I'm dying to know.

Old 03-26-2009, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Chicago is blow NYC on an international level and will probably remain that way as long as NYC exist. The fact that you said Chicago is below L.A shows you are greatly threatened by the city. Let's be serious. L.A is barley above Houston.

Chicago > NYC in terms of their skylines. Please explain to me what's so appealing about NYC's skyline, I'm dying to know.
LOL, what's so appealing about NYC's skyline? Is this a joke?

And in any case, skylines don't make a city. Of course, New York has the best skyline and is the best city, but Paris is 10 notches above Chicago, as is London.. both of which are not known for skylines.

I also find it amusing that you're under the impression that someone such as myself, who spends time in elite cities such NYC, Paris, London would somehow feel "threatened" by that frigid, blue-collar, cultural wasteland of a city in the middle of the Midwest. What's next, am I "threatened" by Milwaukee? Listen, Mr. Spire, I can go/live wherever I want. I don't feel threatened by cities. I like cities (good ones at least). Unfortunately, Chicago is and will never be on my radar. K?

Some of you truly put a smile on my face.

Last edited by Americanboy; 03-27-2009 at 01:02 AM..

Old 03-27-2009, 12:17 AM

734 posts, read 2,054,472 times
LOL euro
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City