Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which Mega City Skyline is your favorite?
Chicago 149 41.39%
New York 211 58.61%
Voters: 360. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 11:40 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldwine View Post
The majority are also too stupid to balance their checkbooks or file a W-2.

And by majority, I mean you specifically. You, and most people on here including people like eurous and dementor, belong to an underclass of hapless workers.

I've made the point before, but perhaps it bears repeating: there are sources of authority worth listening to, and then there aren't. Sources of authority say: Chicago.

You will never be published or respected for your opinion. You will never have the academic or social authority and respect to command an opinion that matters in any way other than meaningless message boards.

The experts, however, agree: Chicago wins. And that is good enough for me
And according to experts, Chicago is one of the most miserable cities in the United States.

And according to experts, Chicago's population is dropping at an alarming rate.

And according to experts, Chicago is the most dangerous city in the United States.

And according to experts, Chicago is one of the least favorite cities to move in the United States.

Shall I go on?????

Old 03-29-2009, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,773,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucasS6 View Post
The poll is fine- but I wouldn't call City-Data a bastion of geniuses anyway. The point is they're both great and you either like size (NYC) or aesthetics (Chicago). We've went over this. There's more New Yorkers, so is it any surprise they won the poll?
There are more NYers? LOL.

How many NYers venture off of the NYC forum? Most people here are from Chicago and I'm pretty sure Dementor is the only NYer posting in this thread. And besides, there are more Houstonians than San Franciscans, but the last time I checked, SF dominates Houston on all the polls here..

Nice try though.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:53 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times
After 110 pages and I still haven't voted I'm going to vote NY for sheer mass,it is un-arguably impressive.For me the fact that the NYC skyline covers so much area and doesn't seem to abruptly stop flat makes it the bit more beautiful. Although I do have a soft spot for Chicago because it was my first of the two major skylines I saw when I spent a couple summers at my Grandmas in Arlington Heights.

Old 03-30-2009, 06:39 AM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post
And according to experts, Chicago is one of the most miserable cities in the United States.

And according to experts, Chicago is the most dangerous city in the United States.

And according to experts, Chicago is one of the least favorite cities to move in the United States.

Shall I go on?????
Where can I find that it's the least favorite city? (I can find where Chicago was Fast Company's U.S. City of the Year in 2008 - Fast Company is published in NYC).

Last edited by NowInWI; 03-30-2009 at 07:11 AM..

Old 03-30-2009, 07:01 AM

1,423 posts, read 4,687,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Before you post, can you ATLEAST get your facts correct. Chicago has a population of 2.8 million people, NOT 2 million!

Some of you posters, I'm starting to wonder 'if' you ever really travelled like you guys 'claim' you have..................
Wow you get the f-In Point,Are you really going to attack me b/c I Said 2 million Even If i said 3 million Cicago still has a bad azz Skyline for a city it's size.

Old 03-30-2009, 08:32 AM

2,314 posts, read 4,799,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dementor View Post
International, huh? Well, you are mixing facts with opinions, again. What you posted is an opinion. The fact would be a result of some poll or survey. As a matter of fact I know of one, done by Reader's Digest in 2006, claiming New York to be the most well mannered city in the world. Read on: Good Manners: Politeness Put to the Test | Family Life | Reader's Digest It's very educating and methodology somewhat creative.

The article confirmes what I heard from so many people from different places who visited New York: it's unbelievably friendly. On the other hand Chicago is absolutely rude, despite what people here believe. As a matter of fact as soon as you leave Chicago and drive for an hour you will come across people complaining about how rude Chicago is. Visit Indiana, Wisconsin or Ohio. You'll see. They even have a three letter word to discribe Illinoians. Not very friendly.
We already had this conversation before Dementor, the only city they surveyed in the US in that study was New York.

They did not compare New York other US cities.

Also, this is an opinion piece as well, and not evidence.

Last edited by Marka; 04-11-2009 at 02:37 AM.. Reason: cut the quote

Old 03-30-2009, 09:20 AM

1,066 posts, read 1,559,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsteelerfan View Post
Before you post, can you ATLEAST get your facts correct. Chicago has a population of 2.8 million people, NOT 2 million!

Some of you posters, I'm starting to wonder 'if' you ever really travelled like you guys 'claim' you have..................
Now, Pitt...do you think your hero Indiana Jones cares about the exact population of each city he visits?

I'll use a baseball analogy here. There are some people that pay so much attention to VORP and WHIP and OPS and K/BB that they forget to actually watch the game of baseball.

Old 03-30-2009, 11:45 AM

734 posts, read 2,054,151 times
First, ignoring dem, euro, and pitt was the best thing I ever did.

Second, reading Hendu's post in response to pitt (and pitt's responses before I blocked him), I think it's hilarious he was talking about Indiana Jones and not paying attention to stats and research and then wants to parse numbers. Hypocrisy at its finest.

Third, another great example of hypocrisy is SlickRick telling everyone to look to the poll, like it ends his argument. "Look at the poll! Look at the poll!" Then a larger poll comes up that has different results and he's all "Don't look at the poll it's wrong! Don't look at the poll, it's wrong!" LOL

I love NY, but it's cheerleaders on C-D are so, so defensive and insecure.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:36 PM

1,437 posts, read 3,073,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
Wow you get the f-In Point,Are you really going to attack me b/c I Said 2 million Even If i said 3 million Cicago still has a bad azz Skyline for a city it's size.
YES I am. Hey, you said it. Chicago has a bad azz skyline for a city it's 'size'. I really want to stress for a city it's 'size'.....

Old 03-30-2009, 12:37 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,205,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eurous1 View Post

Shall I go on?????
Hahaha, I stayed out of this non-stop babble awhile back, but I happened to notice this and just had to say something.

How can you call those lists "experts"? Forbes listed Chicago as the #3 Most Miserable city on the same day Money Magazine came out with a list calling Chicago the #3 Most Cool city in the country (and no, not temperature). Last week some magazine called it the top city for 20-somethings. It's all relative based on what criteria the magazine editors decide to pull up.

What experts say the population is dropping at an alarming rate? The metro grew by around 500,000 since 2000, and the city increased in population last year as well. Overall the census estimates the city population is down the past 8 years by......dun dun dun.....1.9%.

What expert is saying Chicago is THE MOST dangerous city in the United States??? We're middle of the pack as far as homicide rates, violent crime rates, and slightly lower than many on property crime rates.

What experts say it's the least favorite cities to move in the United States? The area drew in over 400,000 international immigrants since 2000. It's one of the top draws for young people around the Midwest and a top springboard for immigrants before moving out around the USA. You really think it's one of the LEAST favorite? As far as domestic migration, New York had almost 4 times as many, and LA over twice as many people move out domestically than Chicago. This has been the case for generations. People move into the main gateway cities and then spread out around the country. Cities like San Fran, Washington DC, Miami, Boston, Seattle - all saw a net loss of domestic migration.

Regardless....I'm not even trying to prove some point, other than if you're going to come on here and debate a topic, at least do people the decency of stating factual information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City