Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA skyline or Chicago skyline
Los Angeles Skyline 56 13.37%
Chicago Skyline 363 86.63%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 10:10 PM

3,763 posts, read 6,711,977 times

Advertisements

The LA skyline is a joke, Chicago has the 2nd best skyline in the US hands down.

Old 02-06-2014, 11:55 PM

60 posts, read 80,881 times
I live in LA but there is no sugar coating it! Chicago has the best skyline hands down.
maybe due to Hollywood's influence LA's skyline is most recognizable worldwide than Chicago's
but that doesn't make it better or bigger. I voted for Chicago.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:10 AM

4 posts, read 4,729 times
definately chicago

Old 02-21-2014, 10:12 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Chicago has a more manhattan-esque skyline so they're going to have a more urban gothic looking one. Its classic and beautiful. But I like LAs skyline more simply because its more modern and downtown LA just seems more neo noir to me.

Chicago is more like Gotham City

LA is more neo-Tokyo, post apocalyptic punk future noir ala Blade Runner

Old 02-21-2014, 04:02 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,824,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Chicago has a more manhattan-esque skyline so they're going to have a more urban gothic looking one. Its classic and beautiful. But I like LAs skyline more simply because its more modern and downtown LA just seems more neo noir to me.

Chicago is more like Gotham City

LA is more neo-Tokyo, post apocalyptic punk future noir ala Blade Runner
Really? LA's skyline to me is pretty bland and reminds me NOTHING of Tokyo or a futuristic apocalyptic scene.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:12 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattywo85 View Post
The LA skyline is a joke, Chicago has the 2nd best skyline in the US hands down.
LA's skyline is not a joke, but it's not as good as Chicago's either. When you can get Mid-Wilshire and DTLA together in one skyline shot it is pretty impressive. I have also seen Glendale and DTLA together in one shot, and Century City - Condo Canyon / Westwood - Miracle Mile - Koreatown - DTLA together in one shot. The multiple skyline shots is something LA has that Chicago certainly does not - and it does give LA a hyper-city look that Tokyo has, just on a smaller level.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:26 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
Really? LA's skyline to me is pretty bland and reminds me NOTHING of Tokyo or a futuristic apocalyptic scene.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPo3Wy1uyLg

When you're driving on Wilshire going through Koreatown and headed to downtown you will pass up a bazaar like scene of heavy pedestrian traffic FULL of immigrants selling their stuff. It looks like a scene straight out of Blade Runner. Punks with Mohawks and other characters roam the area too. When they turn the spotlights on at staples and on some of the skyscrapers, it gets to be a sight especially around LA Live. Driving on the freeway and seeing that is amazing and reminds me of that motorcycle scene in Akria.

The city reminds me of a mix of Manilla and Mexico City in central, east and downtown. It looks like the South of France, Rio or a nice classy Mediterranean city in the west.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
LA's skyline is not a joke, but it's not as good as Chicago's either. When you can get Mid-Wilshire and DTLA together in one skyline shot it is pretty impressive. I have also seen Glendale and DTLA together in one shot, and Century City - Condo Canyon / Westwood - Miracle Mile - Koreatown - DTLA together in one shot. The multiple skyline shots is something LA has that Chicago certainly does not - and it does give LA a hyper-city look that Tokyo has, just on a smaller level.
Haha the skyline makes it look like a hyper city?

Some of you guys are really delusional when it comes to LA's skyline.

Old 02-21-2014, 04:36 PM

15,323 posts, read 23,933,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QPo3Wy1uyLg

When you're driving on Wilshire going through Koreatown and headed to downtown you will pass up a bazaar like scene of heavy pedestrian traffic FULL of immigrants selling their stuff. It looks like a scene straight out of Blade Runner. Punks with Mohawks and other characters roam the area too. When they turn the spotlights on at staples and on some of the skyscrapers, it gets to be a sight especially around LA Live. Driving on the freeway and seeing that is amazing and reminds me of that motorcycle scene in Akria.

The city reminds me of a mix of Manilla and Mexico City in central, east and downtown. It looks like the South of France, Rio or a nice classy Mediterranean city in the west.
I know what you mean, but as long as we're talking about skyline you can't compare Chicago to LA skyline. It's not even close. Chicago also has many modern highrises as well, definitely more than LA, but it seems like less perhaps because the skyline is much bigger and you can see more examples of many different types. The video is cool, and I grew up going to LA every year of my life. The skyline doesn't suck, but compared to Chicago there's absolutely no contest or even close.

Last edited by marothisu; 02-21-2014 at 04:46 PM..

Old 02-21-2014, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
I know what you mean, but as long as we're talking about skyline there's nothing comparing it. Chicago also has many modern highrises as well, definitely more than LA, but it seems like less perhaps because the skyline is much bigger. The video is cool, and I grew up going to LA every year of my life. The skyline doesn't suck, but compared to Chicago there's absolutely no contest or even close.
Right!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City