Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: LA skyline or Chicago skyline
Los Angeles Skyline 56 13.37%
Chicago Skyline 363 86.63%
Voters: 419. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2011, 12:27 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,911,834 times

Advertisements

I think Chicago's is the nicest in the US. More impressive than Manhattan. Downtown LA is ok, but not at that level.

Old 07-17-2011, 12:33 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,977,985 times
LA's skyline is pretty good, but this isn't really a fair comparison. Chicago by a magnificent mile.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:56 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times
I love LA as much as LA's most slanted Homer, but Chicago has HANDS DOWN the best skyline in America and IMO the world (I'm not a fan of those South American and Asian skyscraper fests...I'm looking at YOU Sao Paulo and Shanghai!).

But LA's skyline is STILL pretty sweet and I'm always angered how it gets picked on and stuff. If you actually look at DTLA from the East looking West you'll notice it's much larger than most pictures would suggest. It's certainly not a black and white combination of EITHER parking lots or nondescript glass towers...cough cough...Houston...cough cough.

But back to Chicago, it's skyline is absolute PERFECTION. Sure New York has quantity but it's like okay I get it, your skyline is big...whatever. You know? I'm sorry NYC but after seeing the first 2,870 skyscrapers, I get kinda bored (again, Sao Paulo or Shanghai anyone???).

Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
I'm born and raised in Los Angeles and I think LA gets no respect on CD, and that includes its skyline.

BUT, as underrated as the LA skyline is it's no Chicago which is the nicest skyline in the USA, or the nicest behind NYC. It's not even close.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:05 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,851,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MB8abovetherim View Post
I love LA as much as LA's most slanted Homer, but Chicago has HANDS DOWN the best skyline in America and IMO the world (I'm not a fan of those South American and Asian skyscraper fests...I'm looking at YOU Sao Paulo and Shanghai!).

But LA's skyline is STILL pretty sweet and I'm always angered how it gets picked on and stuff. If you actually look at DTLA from the East looking West you'll notice it's much larger than most pictures would suggest. It's certainly not a black and white combination of EITHER parking lots or nondescript glass towers...cough cough...Houston...cough cough.

But back to Chicago, it's skyline is absolute PERFECTION. Sure New York has quantity but it's like okay I get it, your skyline is big...whatever. You know? I'm sorry NYC but after seeing the first 2,870 skyscrapers, I get kinda bored (again, Sao Paulo or Shanghai anyone???).
Agreed. Chicago has my favorite skyline in the US and probably the world, for the same reason as yours. As awe inspiring and massive as NYCs is, it is a little too cluttered for me. I find Chicago's to be more elegant if that makes sense.

Also agree LA's skyline is excellent and in my top 5. East to west is definitely the best view as the mid rise Historic Core provides a little foreground and infill to the skyline.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:12 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,661,305 times
Hong Kong is by far and away the most beautiful skyline in the world. It's really a magical city.

Shanghai actually feels sparse compared to NYC a better comparison is Sao Paulo. A lot of tall buildings but nothing magical happening. Chicago has something magical happening how it's arranged.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:27 PM

1,242 posts, read 1,946,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munchitup View Post
agreed. Chicago has my favorite skyline in the us and probably the world, for the same reason as yours. As awe inspiring and massive as nycs is, it is a little too cluttered for me. I find chicago's to be more elegant if that makes sense.

Also agree la's skyline is excellent and in my top 5. east to west is definitely the best view as the mid rise historic core provides a little foreground and infill to the skyline.
exactly.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:30 AM

148 posts, read 238,806 times
Default LA? Lol! Chi-town crushes it

I'm not raggin on LA, but when posed with a question such as this, the obvious answer is the CHI. Excluding nyc and hong kong, not many other cities out there posess both the quality, architectual prominence, vibrancy, or notoriety that the chicago skyline is. I went on a roadtrip earlier this year and saw downtown LA, wilshire boulevard, century city, west hollywood. Even got lost in beverly hills, drove down pacific ave in venice/santa monica, and patronized the compton flea market when my phone car charger quit - hey it was cheap $6.50. Even if all of Los Angeles seperate skylines were placed together, they would still be able to fit inside downtown Chicago. (check googlemaps earth sat view and compare) I do love the mountains and seeing that ever so cool hollywood sign, but the smog truly is a problem out there, sad since i think LA is really a sight to behold when viewed in its totality of sprawl from a mountain or somewhere like griffith point especially at night. lol and those palm trees everywhere, and everything is tagged on even on the trees!

However, throw in Millenium/Grant/Lincoln Parks, Lake Michigan and the abundantly close lakefront beach access, the el servicing the Loop and greater dt chi area, Adler planeterium, the Field Museum, the lions in front of the Art Institute, free Lincoln Park Zoo, and the wonderful ecclectic variety of ethnic foods close to downtown like Chinatown, Pilsen, Greektown, tribune tower's truly gothic arches, the gargoyles on top of the washington library, river north nightlife, rush/division hotspots to drink/dine see and be seen, classic buildings like the Wrigley building or the Drake hotel, the riverwalk/chicago river bridges and wacker dr skyscraper canyon, or our financial center with the Lasalle st. canyon, soldier field, sears skydeck/hancock signature room not to mention all this AND much much more is within a mile (at most 2) of downtown. The last thing that seals the deal is the cleanliness of downtown chicago, as mentioned by my friends who have visited me from both europe and asia.

I could only imagine what LA would look like if it wasn't earthquake prone, and had the same time to build as we did...

compare dtLA - i was trying to find a dense shot....
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...downtownLA.jpg

to downtown CHI looking south from the near north, so dense no streets are visible lol...
http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c1...hitowncity.jpg
the above should also answer the question of chicago being urban or not.

Last edited by JMT; 09-11-2012 at 06:55 AM..

Old 09-09-2012, 04:46 AM

304 posts, read 871,350 times
I have visited Chicago and never actually visited LA so I am most likely biased, However, upon looking at both skylines I think Chicago has by far the better skyline. LA has a nice backdrop, but the skyline to me appears rather dull and small for a city of its size. Im not trying to knock LA, Im sure its a lot of fun.

I am just in awe of Chicago's skyline. I think the architecture and set up is phenomenal. I honestly believe it is the best skyline in the country. New York's is huge and awesome as well, but I think Chicago's is more interesting. As a matter of fact, probably the only cities that I believe have more aesthetically pleasing skyline's then Chicago, are Shanghai and Hong Kong, and its close.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:27 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,897,353 times
Chicago by a mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City