Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which do you prefer?
Metro Atlanta 107 32.82%
Metro DC 219 67.18%
Voters: 326. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM

1,192 posts, read 3,695,611 times

Advertisements

I dont like either. Neither city is Southern enough for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 01:32 PM

2,757 posts, read 5,645,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Best metro area. There was a long thread titled "so sick of the DC area" on the board a few months ago. A very long thread at that. But yeah. I would love to finish my degree in Chicago. But wouldn't mind finishing it in New York or even here in DC.
Oh, alright, I will check that thread out sometime.

Old 02-10-2009, 02:53 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Your numbers for DT DC are way off. DC has over 110 million square feet of commercial office space. It's the third largest DT in the country behind NYC and Chicago. If you include Federal office space, DC would be number two. Tysons Corner has 37 million square feet. I don't like to get into these back and forth discussions, but i mentioned Georgetown because it is well knowjn like So Ho or the Village. DC has so many more diverse and distinctive neighborhoods like Adams Morgan, Utopia (U Street & Little Ethopia), Chevy Chase, Glover Park, Mt. Pleasant, Foggy Bottom, Friendship Heights, Kalorama, Chinatown, Penn Quarter, West End, Capitol Hill, etc.... There is no comparison. I think many black people see the similarities because these are two areas that have become meccas for blacks. But DC has so much more to offer because of the Federal Government. Plus Atlanta is a bit on the country side. And that's not a slight.

Last edited by DC's Finest; 02-10-2009 at 03:06 PM..

Old 02-10-2009, 02:58 PM

5,347 posts, read 10,161,008 times
Dude Georgetown has so much more than what you mentioned. Have you ever heard of Georgetown University? When you mention Georgetown, it comes with an elitism that you may not know about. But that's not DC richest neighborhood. The DC area is so much more diverse. Here is another difference between the two cities. Some people in Atlanta think that catching the train is for poor people. That's an ass backwards (we love our cars) mentality. In DC, you will see doctors, lawyers, congressmen, maids, school kids, and window washers all riding the train together.

Old 02-10-2009, 03:48 PM

7,055 posts, read 19,309,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC's Finest View Post
Dude Georgetown has so much more than what you mentioned. Have you ever heard of Georgetown University? When you mention Georgetown, it comes with an elitism that you may not know about. But that's not DC richest neighborhood. The DC area is so much more diverse. Here is another difference between the two cities. Some people in Atlanta think that catching the train is for poor people. That's an ass backwards (we love our cars) mentality. In DC, you will see doctors, lawyers, congressmen, maids, school kids, and window washers all riding the train together.
Except in Georgetown, which doesn't have METRO service because some people in Georgetown think that catching the train is for poor people.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:09 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times
Quote:
Your numbers for DT DC are way off. DC has over 110 million square feet of commercial office space. It's the third largest DT in the country behind NYC and Chicago. If you include Federal office space, DC would be number two. Tysons Corner has 37 million square feet. I don't like to get into these back and forth discussions, but i mentioned Georgetown because it is well knowjn like So Ho or the Village. DC has so many more diverse and distinctive neighborhoods like Adams Morgan, Utopia (U Street & Little Ethopia), Chevy Chase, Glover Park, Mt. Pleasant, Foggy Bottom, Friendship Heights, Kalorama, Chinatown, Penn Quarter, West End, Capitol Hill, etc.... There is no comparison. I think many black people see the similarities because these are two areas that have become meccas for blacks. But DC has so much more to offer because of the Federal Government. Plus Atlanta is a bit on the country side. And that's not a slight.
Your really not saying anything that is not a matter of personal preference, some people may like the fact that DC's DT is the third largest as far as office space, others will like that Atlanta's DT is has much taller buildings. And DC may have more to offer to you because of the Federal Govt., but not everyone grows up and wants to fit into the box/ mold that’s designed for them by society. Others would rather go off and instead of work for someone else, they would rather be their own boss . And yes Atlanta does have some country people but coming from Chicago, DC and ATL are both country!!!! I find it ironic that you call Atlanta country, but all those dudes running around DC from New York stay calling DC country. BOTH ARE COUNTRY!!! And that’s not a bad thing, IMO DC and ATL are two cities that have very distinct accents, and cultures that you wont see anywhere else, especially in the black community. There is a difference in being country and living in Rocky Mount, NC and living in a big city and it being country

Quote:
My dude I’m quite familiar with Georgetown, my grandfather grew up in Georgetown and was from one of the elite black families in the area way back when Georgetown was a black area. So I’m well versed in the historical significance Georgetown holds. Aside from the historical aspect, Georgetown food and retail wise is nothing compared to Buckhead or even Little Five Points. And once again the “I love cars" mentality is a matter of personal preference, people in Atlanta love their cars and its evident in the fact that when you go to ATL you see much nicer cars than in DC. People in Atlanta don’t care that it’s not walkable; if you gave them a choice people would rather sit in traffic in their BMW than ride MARTA. To end this argument, yes DC is more cosmopolitan and diverse than Atlanta, but at the same time Atlanta is not that far behind, your making it sound like some backwater hillbilly haven that someone visiting DC from Atlanta will be amazed at what they see. Like I said yesterday, a Saturday in Georgetown has the same demographics as a Saturday in Buckhead or Midtown- Bunch of gay dudes, lots of Asian 20 somethings, white kids from the suburbs, black kids from the inner city, and college students all mixed in together going about their business. Its just that Buckhead has much, much, much nicer and upscale stores

Old 02-10-2009, 04:14 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaATL View Post
DC is not no 3 times the size of Atlanta they are almost the same size BUckhead is one of the most Imfluential areas in America,Buckhead is also an internationally renowned shopping district with more than 1,400 retail units where shoppers spend more than $1 billion a year Both areas of georgetown and buckhead are really nice Georgetown just has more history . I dont know where you are getting your facts but you are a lil off in some areas.

DC
Population (2008)[1][2] - City591,833 - Density9,639.0/sq mi (3,722.2/km2) - Metro5.3 million

Atlanta

Population (2007) - City519,145 - Density3,921/sq mi (1,514/km2) - Urban3,499,840 - Urban Density1,783/sq mi (688/km2) - Metro5,278,904 - Metro Density630/sq mi (243/km2
I wouldn't call Buckhead influential, or one of the most influential areas in America.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:42 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
And yes Atlanta does have some country people but coming from Chicago, DC and ATL are both country!!!! I find it ironic that you call Atlanta country, but all those dudes running around DC from New York stay calling DC country. BOTH ARE COUNTRY!!!
DC might seem country for a few hours after returning to DC from Manhattan, but no way does it feel country compared to Chicago. DC is more cosmopolitan than Chicago. Now if you're referring to skyscrapers, DC lacks that. But lack of skyscrapers doesn't make a place country. If that's the case then London and Paris are country too.

Old 02-10-2009, 04:55 PM

341 posts, read 1,337,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by popalnet View Post
DC might seem country for a few hours after returning to DC from Manhattan, but no way does it feel country compared to Chicago. DC is more cosmopolitan than Chicago. Now if you're referring to skyscrapers, DC lacks that. But lack of skyscrapers doesn't make a place country. If that's the case then London and Paris are country too.

I must admit most of the black community in Chicago isn’t cosmopolitan, in no way shape or form, that’s why I moved to Atlanta because the black community is much more progressive here. I was saying that from the city as a whole, Chicago is more cosmopolitan. I'm from the Southside (87th & Saginaw stand up!!!) but I went to school and hung out allot on the North and near Northsides and it’s a whole different attitude/ vibe up there. And nice try at putting words in mouth, but I wasn’t basing that off of skyscrapers, if that was the case then DC would be the most country because everything in DC is a mid-rise at best

Old 02-10-2009, 05:34 PM

367 posts, read 1,285,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Virgo Child View Post
I must admit most of the black community in Chicago isn’t cosmopolitan, in no way shape or form, that’s why I moved to Atlanta because the black community is much more progressive here. I was saying that from the city as a whole, Chicago is more cosmopolitan. I'm from the Southside (87th & Saginaw stand up!!!) but I went to school and hung out allot on the North and near Northsides and it’s a whole different attitude/ vibe up there. And nice try at putting words in mouth, but I wasn’t basing that off of skyscrapers, if that was the case then DC would be the most country because everything in DC is a mid-rise at best
Sounds like you're getting all bent out of shape. It's all good. You might just make it easy on yourself and move to NYC. Then you can truely have all the bragging rights you want. But sorry - you're not going to get that for Atlanta. Downtown Atlanta is dead boring compared compared to many spots in DC proper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City