Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2010, 01:05 PM

787 posts, read 1,696,939 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio248 View Post
This is true, and Ohio is definitely in bad shape. What's your point?

The issue in this thread is Chicago, and no city has lost as many residents as Chicago. Chicago is literally emptying out before our eyes.

You don't like it? Argue with the Census.

It probably wouldn't hurt to elect a non-idiot mayor, either. Daley has been destroying most of the city by shifting all the dollars downtown. People are sick of it, and move to the burbs.

So your proof is census estimates? Since when has that been a definite method of ascertaining population growth or loss? LOL. Look at what the Census estimates were predicting in the years before the 2000 census...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times
Yea don't visit Williamsburg by yourself kids,the "locals" might pelt you with empty pbr cans. Try to avoid a run in with those Hasidic Jews also,ruthlessly violent.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:23 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
Yea don't visit Williamsburg by yourself kids,the "locals" might pelt you with empty pbr cans. Try to avoid a run in with those Hasidic Jews also,ruthlessly violent.
That, by the way, was amazing. I have never been in a community with some many strict orthodox Jews. I've seen Hasidic Jews walking down the street in parts of Los Angeles near Fairfax but not in the numbers that live in Williamsburg. A person could feel the tension of the white Jews among many Ricans and south Indies blacks; both a cultural and religious clash.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:26 PM

1,694 posts, read 5,682,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californio sur View Post
That, by the way, was amazing. I have never been in a community with some many strict orthodox Jews. I've seen Hasidic Jews walking down the street in parts of Los Angeles near Fairfax but not in the numbers that live in Williamsburg. A person could feel the tension of the white Jews among many Ricans and south Indies blacks; both a cultural and religious clash.
I actually agree with you're last sentence..there is definitely tension,thankfully nothing ever really comes from it.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:39 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,391,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden-mind-State View Post
I actually agree with you're last sentence..there is definitely tension,thankfully nothing ever really comes from it.
I don't know if this is the truth but I was told that the priest at the church where the wedding was held was once spit on in an elevator by Hasidic Jews. It was a Lutheran parish so maybe the German issue is still a problem.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:58 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Getting back to the OPs actual question about similarities between Chicago and Brooklyn.

New York is currently building several waterfront parks in Brooklyn that will sort of give a small taste of Chicago's waterfront. The largest is the 67+ acre "Brooklyn Bridge Park" that is under development in the Brooklyn Heights area. This park will have outstanding views of a major skyline, sort of like Chicago parks do.

Tied together with the Brooklyn Bridge, historic Brooklyn neighborhoods like Brooklyn Heights and Fort Greene, and Downtown Brooklyn, this new park should make Brooklyn a major tourist district.

The Brooklyn Bridge Park will connect to the Empire-Fulton Ferry State Park which lies between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges. This park protects some historic buildings and itself has excellent views of lower Manhattan and the two bridges.

Further up the East River, there is a plan for a 28 acre shorefront park in the Williamsburgh area called "Bushwick Inlet Park". This one should have great views of Lower Manhattan, Midtown Manhattan (including maybe the UN) and even Downtown Brooklyn.

Old 10-31-2010, 03:01 PM

2,419 posts, read 4,725,521 times
Brooklyn, a major city within a major city, Chicago is nice and all, but just a little too isolated.

Old 10-31-2010, 07:20 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,541,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
Brooklyn, a major city within a major city, Chicago is nice and all, but just a little too isolated.
yup

Old 10-31-2010, 07:37 PM

2,598 posts, read 4,927,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by killakoolaide View Post
The East Coast isn't the center of everyone's universe. I'll disagree with you here.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:02 PM

758 posts, read 1,962,183 times
I love the folks arguing with the Census.

"Gee, the U.S. Census is obviously biased against Chicago. You know, it's not like the President of the U.S. is from Chicago or something. We all know the feds have it out for Chicago!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City