Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2010, 04:21 PM

1,488 posts, read 2,612,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstreamliberal View Post
LOL, I love London but Piccadilly Circus is a joke compared to Times Square.

I remember taking a friend from the US to London and driving up to what I described as "London's version of Times Square", and when I drove through she started laughing.
Yea! When I saw pictures of it I was thinking the same myself, I just didn't want to say anything . I saw the pic and was like whaaaa???lol. Accoriding to what I've seen in pictures, they only have one building with neon lights and advertisements right?

Old 03-21-2010, 09:03 PM

196 posts, read 614,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
How does piccadilly circus compare to times square in any way shape or form. And what area in asia is as hardbody as times square. Tokyo has places that have neon lights and such but no single strip is as impressive as times square

And also ppl need to stop saying nyers avoid times square. Any new yorker who says that is trying to hard to sound like a "real" new yorker. Times square is a visual masterpiece and i never get tired of looking at it. The energy you get by just walking through there is amazing
Shibuya Crossing is f--in' hardbody.

From Wikipedia:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/10/Shibuya_crossing_2.jpg (broken link)

Sure beats Yonge-Dundas, anyway.

Piccadilly Circus I'll give you.

ALSO: I am a real New Yorker. And I do avoid Times Square. I had an exchange student from Turkey last year and we took them to Times Square--that was fun. It's fun to see, every once in a while, but "a visual masterpiece" I'm not sure it is. Unless you like that huge corporate cable-news/magazine-ad aesthetic. Many people do.

Old 03-22-2010, 09:02 AM

3,003 posts, read 6,093,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFriendlyGod View Post
Shibuya Crossing is f--in' hardbody.

From Wikipedia:

Sure beats Yonge-Dundas, anyway.

Piccadilly Circus I'll give you.

ALSO: I am a real New Yorker. And I do avoid Times Square. I had an exchange student from Turkey last year and we took them to Times Square--that was fun. It's fun to see, every once in a while, but "a visual masterpiece" I'm not sure it is. Unless you like that huge corporate cable-news/magazine-ad aesthetic. Many people do.

Shibuya actually looks less impressive from an aerial view.Basically one building with trons. TS has way more screens and "pazzaz" . Times square is trons and lights amongst skyscrapers ,shibuya definently loses to me

And tims square is a visual masterpiece. The fact that its being copied from city's all over the world kind of proves that. Cant beat the original

Old 03-22-2010, 10:48 AM

515 posts, read 987,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K.O.N.Y View Post
Shibuya actually looks less impressive from an aerial view.Basically one building with trons. TS has way more screens and "pazzaz" . Times square is trons and lights amongst skyscrapers ,shibuya definently loses to me
Its not one building - basically the entire city of Tokyo looks like a low-rise Times Square, it blew my mind when I visited.

And I'm a New Yorker.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:59 AM

4,593 posts, read 9,199,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post
Its not one building - basically the entire city of Tokyo looks like a low-rise Times Square, it blew my mind when I visited.

And I'm a New Yorker.

Yeah those Asian big cities are monsters. NYC is truly the only American city that has a chance against Asian cities like Seoul and Tokyo.

Old 03-22-2010, 11:34 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,153,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarn View Post

And I'm a New Yorker.

It can look impressive. But really most of it is all neon lights and billboards filled with an over abundance of gambling venues, arcades and karaokee bars. Miles and miles of them. After a while I would think that type of crap would be bothersome if not nauseating.

If it is any consilation, I don't care much for Times square either. Of course I am almost like a NY'er since I live close and have been to Manhattan more times than I can count. Like many have said most NY'ers stay clear of Times square.

I guess you could easily call me twisted or weird but I like the old Times square with hookers, pimps, drug dealers, and millions of sex shops and peep holes. Whatever, I guess to each his own. The soul of NY when pertaining to Times square has been disneyfied,--Yuck. The same thing can be said for many Japanese cities with their miles upon miles of gambling venues, karoakee bars, neon lights and eateries. Which I think that the dining is the only good part.

Old 03-22-2010, 12:31 PM

515 posts, read 987,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supermanpansy View Post
If it is any consilation, I don't care much for Times square either. Of course I am almost like a NY'er since I live close and have been to Manhattan more times than I can count. Like many have said most NY'ers stay clear of Times square.
Agreed. I like that Times Square exists, but generally avoid it at all costs.

My point was that there are plenty of "sensory-overload" locations throughout Asia - Times Square doesn't necessarily trump them all as some seem to be suggesting.

Old 03-24-2010, 04:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,022,218 times
Video: Times Square Pedestrian Spaces » CUNY Institute for Sustainable Cities

Old 03-25-2010, 12:42 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,312,201 times
Good video. The pilot program for closing Broadway in Times Square and Herald Square has been an enormous success. As the video shows, it made great new public spaces, and there have been improvements to the congestion on 6th and 7th avenues, because the diagonal traffic pattern on Broadway is gone. It's a win-win. I believe the city has decided just recently that the new traffic pattern will now be permanent, and I think the city will be making the new space "feel" more permanent by removing or covering over the roadbed, etc.

Old 03-25-2010, 01:08 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,201,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lammius View Post
Good video. The pilot program for closing Broadway in Times Square and Herald Square has been an enormous success. As the video shows, it made great new public spaces, and there have been improvements to the congestion on 6th and 7th avenues, because the diagonal traffic pattern on Broadway is gone. It's a win-win. I believe the city has decided just recently that the new traffic pattern will now be permanent, and I think the city will be making the new space "feel" more permanent by removing or covering over the roadbed, etc.
This is totally fascinating. Before I saw the video, I had no idea that Times Square had been pretty much closed off to traffic. Makes me want to be a dorky tourist and go see it all the more.

My first instinct was to ask, "wow, what does that do to the traffic flow in midtown?" If the answer is "pretty much nothing" then this seems like a great idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City