Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which state would you rather live in?
New Jersey 73 57.48%
South Carolina 54 42.52%
Voters: 127. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,465 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from NJ but I've been in SC for almost 10 years so I won't beat it up too bad but to be honest the only thing SC has over NJ is the cost of living. As for everything else it's not even close. Food, culture, diversity, nightlife, fashion, education, it's not even fair how far ahead NJ is of SC.

Old 02-27-2009, 12:37 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
1. If you dont like "yankee pizza" then you are also the same type of person that enjoys The Olive Garden. Pizza Hut/Papa Johns/The Olive Garden are not REAL italian food.... its americanized
I actually hate Olive Garden too...and many of the ingredients used in "real" Italian food. Take it with a grain of salt...Im a picky, picky eater.

Quote:
2. First off this is not a south vs. north thread.... its NJ vs. SC.
NJ has two in 1937 & 1984
SC has two in 1957 & 1994
Then I guess that would make the two states relatively even, if we're basing it on this contest (and just for argument's sake, we might as well), and therefore that doesnt make NJ women better looking than those from here (as was the implication...if I made the wrong guess then my apologies)
Quote:
Here is what you get with the wonderful girls from SC that enter contest. Even the horrible school systems show in pageants

quote=NYC1DAY;7651235]
YouTube - Miss Teen USA 2007 - South Carolina answers a question

3. There is more to people than there clothes..... I agree. But, if I am not attracted to a person on the outside then I dont care to know there inside

I will stick with what I wear.... Dolce & Gabbana, Rock and Republic, Armani Exchange, True Religion, Diesel, Ed Hardy, etc any day over what people wear in SC....... which is boat shoes, rainbow flip flops, carolina girls best in the world tshirts, and croakies (the cheesy looking sunglasses straps)

NYC is the fashion capital of the world.... NYC influences the whole state of NJ on everything including fashion
Dear God..I was embarrassed for her when I saw/heard about that. But all a Miss America Pageant really implies is that they're pretty. Never said the contestants/winners were geniuses.

"Fashion Capital of the World" is highly debateable. London, Paris, and Tokyo give them a damn good run for their money, and Im sure alot of people would argue with you over it.
And perhaps its just me...but the designers you named dont impress me at all. Just another business, just another label.
Truthfully, if I were to see someone encased in designer things first thought would be "WHY spend that much money on CLOTHES?! " and would likely write them off as a "No thanks". No insult meant to you, but thats just me.

And...off topic..but as far as "designers" go, do you have any idea how cheaply alot of that stuff is produced, then sold for somtimes triple what it cost to make it? Sorry...thats the business major in me kicking in...rant over. lol

Old 02-27-2009, 12:42 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I actually hate Olive Garden too...and many of the ingredients used in "real" Italian food. Take it with a grain of salt...Im a picky, picky eater.

Then I guess that would make the two states relatively even, if we're basing it on this contest (and just for argument's sake, we might as well), and therefore that doesnt make NJ women better looking than those from here (as was the implication...if I made the wrong guess then my apologies)

Dear God..I was embarrassed for her when I saw/heard about that. But all a Miss America Pageant really implies is that they're pretty. Never said the contestants/winners were geniuses.

"Fashion Capital of the World" is highly debateable. London, Paris, and Tokyo give them a damn good run for their money, and Im sure alot of people would argue with you over it.
And perhaps its just me...but the designers you named dont impress me at all. Just another business, just another label.
Truthfully, if I were to see someone encased in designer things first thought would be "WHY spend that much money on CLOTHES?! " and would likely write them off as a "No thanks". No insult meant to you, but thats just me.

And...off topic..but as far as "designers" go, do you have any idea how cheaply alot of that stuff is produced, then sold for somtimes triple what it cost to make it? Sorry...thats the business major in me kicking in...rant over. lol
I agree with what your saying..... NYC might not be the fashion capital of the world. But you have admit its atleast in the top 5

I have an MBA..... so I understand what designers do

Old 02-27-2009, 12:54 AM

Quote:
I agree with what your saying..... NYC might not be the fashion capital of the world. But you have admit its atleast in the top 5

I have an MBA..... so I understand what designers do
And it doesnt bug you? Makes my inner cheapskate absolutely scream.
Honestly I think the things you're describing about SC just outline the cultural differences between the two states, and even between the two regions.

People ( generalized statement) in SC dont particularly care what you're wearing, or how much money you make. In fact, you're just as likely to find a millionaire wearing the same type of clothing you've just said was tacky as you would in designers. There are social circles in Charleston that no matter how much money you've got, no matter who you are, you can't get into them unless you're born into it.
I actually know several well-to-do people that shun BMW's for beaten up pickup trucks, simply because they dont feel the need to show off their wealth.
It seems as if people (again generalized statement) from NJ are a bit more materialistic and have more of the "Look at me" mentality. I could be wrong, though. However, that's the impression Ive gotten.

Old 02-27-2009, 01:40 AM

403 posts, read 1,190,465 times
Quote:
Honestly I think the things you're describing about SC just outline the cultural differences between the two states, and even between the two regions.

People ( generalized statement) in SC dont particularly care what you're wearing, or how much money you make. In fact, you're just as likely to find a millionaire wearing the same type of clothing you've just said was tacky as you would in designers. There are social circles in Charleston that no matter how much money you've got, no matter who you are, you can't get into them unless you're born into it.
I actually know several well-to-do people that shun BMW's for beaten up pickup trucks, simply because they dont feel the need to show off their wealth.
It seems as if people (again generalized statement) from NJ are a bit more materialistic and have more of the "Look at me" mentality. I could be wrong, though. However, that's the impression Ive gotten.
It's true to an extent, but I think that's just the city mentality everyone there has. If you have money and like nice things you want people to see that. SC folks are much more humble about it. As you said I've seen guys who live in half million dollar homes on Daniels Island and drive $80,000 cars who dress like they're going to volunteer at a soup kitchen.

Old 02-27-2009, 05:46 AM

8,155 posts, read 21,010,973 times
Quote:
Ive actually had Yankee pizza...and hated it. That crunchy crust stuff is awful...
I'm really not interested in getting into this catfight, but I found this comment exceptionally ignorant.

I guess when you are raised eating pig slop, your brain tricks you into thinking it's "good" because that's about all I can compare Hungry Howies too - pig slop.

Maybe you're right, forget pizza that resembles that which you get walking around the streets of Naples.

I'd rather have frozen, mass produced, processed crap brought in on a semi and reheated on a conveyor belt over fresh made dough and fresh sauce, fresh toppings cooked in a coal fired brick oven. Yea, sign me up.

But, I guess after 20 years of marriage, even a butt ugly women starts to look good.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:36 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
Quote:

I used to wait on people like that. There was a man who was a millionaire but you would never know it by his lifestyle, or his tipping habits lol

Old 02-27-2009, 08:05 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,086,477 times
Quote:
3. There is more to people than there clothes..... I agree. But, if I am not attracted to a person on the outside then I dont care to know there inside
Now THAT is just sad and it's their not there

Old 02-27-2009, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JViello View Post
I'm really not interested in getting into this catfight, but I found this comment exceptionally ignorant.

I guess when you are raised eating pig slop, your brain tricks you into thinking it's "good" because that's about all I can compare Hungry Howies too - pig slop.

Maybe you're right, forget pizza that resembles that which you get walking around the streets of Naples.

I'd rather have frozen, mass produced, processed crap brought in on a semi and reheated on a conveyor belt over fresh made dough and fresh sauce, fresh toppings cooked in a coal fired brick oven. Yea, sign me up.

But, I guess after 20 years of marriage, even a butt ugly women starts to look good.
Wow, you get really defensive if someone doesnt like your pizza, dont you?

How is stating a food preference ignorant? If a pizza has a crunchy crust I wont like it...whether is from the North or Naples. Its a texture thing to me...I hate most crunchy things...including fried chicken (I pick the fried part off) so its simply a personal preference.

Get your knickers out of a knot.

Old 02-27-2009, 10:15 AM

7,055 posts, read 19,314,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missymomof3 View Post
I used to wait on people like that. There was a man who was a millionaire but you would never know it by his lifestyle, or his tipping habits lol
Maybe that's just why he's a millionaire! haha.

I selected New Jersey. I like South Carolina very much. A family member retired there and I enjoy visiting for a long weekend once in awhile. It's a nice getaway. But the pace of life and being in a major metropolitan area is the lifestyle for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S. > City vs. City